2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I meant that it's the smaller venue in Vegas. I hate trying to figure out what curse word Mike is using.
roll.gif
                                  Anywho, Im just glad  the Americans are taking care of business and look like the favorites at least for now.

Your weekly random thoughts …

• So maybe Showtime should have called it the Super Five World Boxing Classic instead of the Super Six, because that sixth spot is a disaster.

Jermain Taylor, who didn't belong in the field in the first place but made it in on the strength of having the biggest name, got pulverized by Arthur Abraham in their opening bout in the fall. Following the brutal 12th-round knockout loss, Taylor, who suffered a brain bleed as a result, wisely withdrew from the super middleweight tournament.

He was replaced by Allan Green, who had never scored a major victory in his career before coming in as an alternate. Green was even worse than Taylor, fighting like a rank amateur and getting embarrassed in a shutout decision to Andre Ward on Saturday. So while Ward is 2-0 in the tournament with two dominant victories, and Abraham, Andre Dirrell, Mikkel Kessler and Carl Froch are 1-1, all having had good moments and some bad, the two guys out of the six-hole have been a complete mess.

What the poor performances from Taylor and Green have shown me is that as great as the Super Six has been overall -- and make no mistake, I am a major fan of it -- Showtime's Ken Hershman, the tournament mastermind (for which he does deserve props) was shortsighted in not initially inviting Lucian Bute to join. Bute is clearly one of the top 168-pounders in the world -- I rank him No. 2 behind Ward -- has an enormous fan base in Montreal and isn't afraid to face real competition. It struck me as odd from day one that Bute, who was available, wasn't invited to join, especially since Showtime had televised his two bouts previous to the start of the tournament.

After being left out, Bute found a nice home on HBO, which has shown his last two bouts (impressive knockouts against Librado Andrade and Edison Miranda) and has contractual rights going forward.

So while I am looking forward to Group Stage 3 of the Super Six in the fall, and the semifinals and final, which should be completed by the late spring or early summer next year, the reality is that whomever wins it all will still have one more bout to win before he can truly be crowned super middleweight king. That will be against Bute, as long as he keeps winning.

• They're not talking about it publicly, and there's always a chance it won't happen, but Top Rank and HBO PPV are looking at Dec. 4 as the date for a possible Antonio Margarito-Miguel Cotto rematch. Margarito, of course, still needs to be licensed in the United States. And, of course, if Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn't happen, all bets are off because Margarito and Cotto could become opponents for Pacquiao's November fight.

• As an utter non-soccer fan, I'm thinkin' I'd rather watch old John Ruiz fights than World Cup games. While discussing our mutual dislike of soccer with Max Kellerman of CNN and HBO, we joked about the Ruiz scenario. Then I suggested I'd rather watch Chris Byrd's waltz with DeVarryl Williamson instead of soccer. Maybe even Michael Moorer's all-time stinker with Vaughn Bean. Then Kellerman jokingly (I think) said that watching soccer made him pine for Henry Akinwande fights. That's where I drew the line. I would, in fact, rather watch soccer than Akinwande fights.

• It's unfortunate, but it looks like the only way Celestino Caballero is going to get a fight is if he walks into a bar and hits on another guy's date. Won't anyone fight this guy?

• While I would love to see featherweight titlist Juan Manuel Lopez face Caballero or Yuriorkis Gamboa, I also really like the idea of him facing Rafael Marquez in September on Showtime. If Lopez takes care of business July 10 against Bernabe Concepcion and then beats Marquez, it will make Lopez a much bigger star and make fights with Caballero and Gamboa that much more lucrative. And if Marquez, a veteran in the twilight of a tremendous career, defeats the young gun, it would make Marquez a lock Hall of Famer for anybody who still has a doubt.

•  As I wrote last week, I love the idea of a junior welterweight tournament. It's a good division at the top with a number of quality fighters. But you really don't need a tournament to crown a No. 1 fighter in the division. All you need is Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander to fight each other, assuming each wins in summer HBO bouts already scheduled. Most folks rank them as the top two fighters in the division and between them they hold three of the major belts with Amir Khan, who has the other belt, not interested in facing them yet. They don't need Khan to make a big fight as long as they have each other and as long as they have HBO ready, willing and able to put up good money. If Alexander and Bradley fight late this year or early next year, the winner will without question be regarded as the No. 1 fighter at 140 pounds. Then the new king can look to big fights with Khan, Marcos Maidana, Zab Judah, Victor Ortiz and others.

• I'm looking forward to seeing junior featherweight titlist Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. back in action soon. He's an exciting young fighter who will eventually add even more depth to a very solid featherweight division when he inevitably moves up in weight.

• Paging Guillermo Jones.

•  Following his recent debacle with Nikolai Valuev, I heard Don King just accepted $10 million for Felix Trinidad to have a rematch with Oscar De La Hoya.

• Now that the International Boxing Hall of Fame class of 2010 has been inducted, it's pretty easy to tab the two biggest names who will be eligible next year and surely voted in on the first ballot (at least they will be on my ballot): former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson and former junior welterweight champ Kostya Tszyu, both of whom had their last fights a week apart in June 2005. If both can hold off on what would be ill-advised comebacks for a little while longer, they're both slam dunks.

• Randall Bailey where are you? I'm in the mood for a pulverizing knockout.

• Put Ward's outstanding talent aside for a minute. Besides being a tremendous fighter and super middleweight titleholder, the man is also a class act. I thought it was a wonderful gesture that he came into the ring for his fight against Green on Saturday night with this message stitched into the back of his robe: "Nick Charles, Praying for You." Ward, of course, was sending out his message loud and clear to the beloved Showtime commentator battling cancer. It was a great thing for Ward to do and I know he spoke for many people in the boxing community and fans around the world.

• Annoying remark of the week: Showtime's Gus Johnson referring multiple times to broadcast partner Antonio Tarver as "champ" during the Ward-Green telecast. Tarver has not held a title for a couple of years. This is professional television, not a fan club meeting.

• Speaking of Tarver, it didn't come as much of a surprise when he announced he would return as a heavyweight. While I wish him luck, it's hard to believe he'll do anything except serve as a good name for some other heavyweight to beat. Tarver is 41, hasn't fought in more than a year and was outclassed in back-to-back losses to Chad Dawson. If he can't beat Dawson, or even be competitive, how is he going to deal with a top heavyweight? Tarver called out Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko and David Haye. All three would blow him away. In the movie "Rocky Balboa," Tarver played heavyweight champ Mason "The Line" Dixon. In real life, Tarver would be in for a much ruder awakening.

• We're not even halfway through the year and already there are two candidates for worst challengers of 2010, fighters who got huge opportunities in major championship fights and didn't do a thing in being wiped out in decision losses. And the nominees are: Green, for talking a big game and doing zilch against Ward, and Joshua Clottey, who probably threw fewer punches in 12 rounds against Pacquiao than Pacquiao throws in the dressing room warming up for a fight.

• Happy birthday, Shelly Finkel, the newly minted Hall of Fame manager who turns 66 on Sunday.

• DVD pick of the week: This one isn't for the squeamish, but I received a DVD recently of one of the bloodiest fight I have ever seen. It was June 10, 1978, in Oklahoma City, where renowned bleeder Sean O'Grady, three years before winning a lightweight title, faced Japan's Shig Fukuyama in a junior lightweight slugfest that turned into a gory horror movie. Fukuyama cut O'Grady over the right eye in the first round and over the left eye in the second round. O'Grady's face poured blood, covering him and eventually his opponent. In any other venue in the world, the fight surely would have been stopped. But not in Oklahoma City, O'Grady's hometown. In the fifth round, O'Grady badly cut Fukuyama and dropped him. Moments later, with Fukuyama bleeding (but not as badly as O'Grady), the referee stopped the fight, giving O'Grady a gruesome victory and me a sick feeling.

[h1]
[h1]Froch trains sights on Kessler rematch [/h1]
ESPN staff
June 23, 2010
6196.2.jpg

Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler served up a treat [emoji]169[/emoji] Getty Images

Related Links

Carl Froch is keen to secure a rematch with Mikkel Kessler and has vowed to get his hands back on the super-middleweight belt.

Froch and Kessler produced one of the fights of the year in April, with Kessler gaining a points win after 12 gruelling rounds. Froch felt he did enough to retain his belt, but conceded he could understand how the balance was tipped by the vocal support for Keessler in his native Denmark.

The Nottingham puncher is looking to get his career back on track and is ready to fight Kessler again if the chance presents itself.

"While Kessler got the decision, without sounding like a cliche, it really was one of those fights where nobody was a loser," Froch wrote in the Nottingham Post. "The Danish crowd were cheering their man loudly and it was a real cauldron in there, which I relished. We rained hard shots in on each other for 12 explosive rounds.

"I had him reeling and hurt a few times in there and his swollen and damaged face at the end told its own story.

"As reigning champion, I felt I did enough to hold on to my title, but it goes with the territory of fighting away. Sure it was a tough night at the office, but one which I showed who was boss.

"That huge crowd can shade many close rounds in their man's favour, which I wholly appreciate, and on that occasion served Kessler well at a point his career which really was a 'make or break' time for him.

"Mikkel Kessler is a proud and popular fighter who was prepared to go out on his shield that night which, under better circumstances, I would have capitalised on. But mark my words, next time I would not leave it to the judges in a re-match.

"A fight between us in the future would certainly sell out quickly and is one hopefully we can do later in the Super Six. Congratulations Mikkel - but you're only borrowing that belt!"

Froch was left aghast by the scoring of one of the judges, as he said: "The only real sore point was the scoring. The judges, with just a couple of points' gap between the fighters, can be understood in an evenly-contested fight.

"But a judge called Tilleman gave me just a single round out of the first ten. How could he turn in a scorecard like that?"
[/h1]

Finkel returning to music promotion

Saying that he just wasn't enjoying himself anymore, Shelly Finkel, one of the most powerful managers in boxing for the past 30-plus years, is leaving behind management in a surprising move and returning to music promotion, which is where he got his start.

box_a_finkel01_65.jpg
I still love boxing, but more and more the politics of it I don't like. This wasn't about finances so much. [Managing] just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

[h4]
[h4]Chavez Jr. happy with change in personnel[/h4]

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

box_chavez_lifting_weights1x_576.jpg
Chris Farina/Top RankPulling his weight: Freddie Roach says Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has been no slouch in the gym.

Nearly seven years into his pro career, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. remains little more than a fighter with a money-making name, a fan base and a padded record. But now 24 and questioning his place in the sport, the son of the legend decided it was time to see what he was really made of.

So with questions about his dedication and work habits hanging over his head, Chavez made a radical change.

He broke from his trainers, uncles Rodolfo Chavez and Miguel Molleda; left Mexico for Los Angeles; and hired Freddie Roach, regarded by many as the No. 1 trainer in boxing, in an effort to see how far he can go.

Chavez (40-0-1, 30 KOs) and Roach (29-1, 18 KOs) have been together for only about a month, but Roach will lead his new protégé into battle for the first time when he faces Ireland's John Duddy -- by far Chavez's best opponent -- for a vacant interim middleweight title on Top Rank's "Latin Fury 15" pay-per-view Saturday (9 p.m. ET, $39.95) from the Alamodome in San Antonio, where Chavez will be the overwhelming crowd favorite.

"It came to a point in my career that if I wanted to do better, if I wanted bigger and better things, I had to make a change," Chavez said, through translator Ricardo Jimenez, of his reasons for seeking out Roach. "I did it because I knew I needed it for my career. I still want to do great things in boxing and that's what motivated me. I thought, 'Do I want to stay where I am or do I want to get better?' This opportunity came and I took it and I'm very happy that I did."

The bout will be Chavez's first since a seven-month Nevada suspension ended June 14. He was suspended after outpointing Troy Rowland on the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto undercard in November because he tested positive for a diuretic. The result of that fight was changed to a no contest.

[h4]Latin Fury 15[/h4]
TV lineup for Top Rank's pay-per-view card from the Alamodome in San Antonio on Saturday (9 p.m. ET, $39.95):

• Middleweights: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (40-0-1, 30 KOs) vs. John Duddy (29-1, 18 KOs), 12 rounds, for a vacant interim title

• Junior welterweights: Marco Antonio Barrera (68-7, 43 KOs) vs. Adilton De Jesus (25-4, 20 KOs), 10 rounds

• Junior bantamweights: Raul Martinez (26-1, 15 KOs) vs. Gabriel Elizondo (22-3-1, 10 KOs), 10 rounds

• Featherweights: Salvador Sanchez (19-3-2, 9 KOs) vs. Tomas Villa (22-7-4, 14 KOs), 8 rounds

During his suspension, Chavez, a huge Pacquiao fan, was invited by Top Rank head matchmaker Bruce Trampler to Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood, Calif., to watch Pacquiao train for his March fight against Joshua Clottey.

After watching the session, Chavez had something of an epiphany.

"He realized, like everybody else who knows boxing, that there was a tremendous improvement in Pacquiao when he went with Freddie," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said. "Julio was talking to Trampler, and Trampler seized the opening and said, 'Why don't you come up to the Wild Card gym and watch one of Manny's training sessions?' He did and the kid's eyes opened wide, and after the training session was over, Manny pulled him aside and said he should train with Freddie.

"It was like a light bulb went off in the kid's head. So we worked things out with Freddie and I was elated."

Chavez said he knew he wanted to train with Roach as soon as he saw Pacquiao in training at the gym.

"This is what I want. This is what I need," he said. "You have to earn it in boxing, and I think Freddie has earned being called the best trainer in the world. He has shown that to me and that I made a great decision."

Chavez said his father, the great Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., was happy with his decision to go with Roach.

"We had talked about it, and he said that maybe I needed somebody to take me to the next level," Chavez said. "We had thought about some guys and thinking about doing something. When I told him about Freddie Roach, he got very excited. Freddie isn't going to waste his time with a nobody or someone that has no talent. By Freddie taking me, my father felt that Freddie gave me confidence that he would take me to that next level."

Roach had heard all the talk about Chavez's supposedly poor work habits but was willing to give him a chance -- even though Roach joked that there was an over/under among the guys at the gym that Chavez wouldn't last a week.

It looked like Roach might be right when Chavez took a week longer to arrive in California than had been planned. A holdup occurred because of the paperwork for his work visa. But after he arrived, Roach was pleasantly surprised with how hard Chavez worked and the promise he showed.

"There were a lot of warning signs about how he is lazy and doesn't want to work and would he last a week with me," Roach said. "He's a great kid, great to work with and is very disciplined. He gets up in the morning and does his roadwork every day, comes in the gym and sparred up to 12 rounds with three sparring partners. Overall it was a real good experience."

Roach said he encountered no resistance from Chavez to do things the way he wanted them done.

"Whatever I asked him to do, he did," Roach said. "He's a very capable person and he knows boxing."

Chavez is happy with the decision to train with Roach.

"Without a doubt there have been a lot of changes for this training camp," Chavez said. "I have never been with a trainer so capable. I had heard great things about him, but until you go through a regimen like his, you don't know what he's capable of doing. I know I'm in the best physical shape that I've ever been in and I am well prepared. I am happy that I made the decision to go train with him and I think it will pay off and you'll see it."

Roach is a four-time trainer of the year with a glittering track record. Chavez admitted he was a little nervous with Roach at first.

"Any time you make a move to the unknown you get nervous," Chavez said. "I wasn't sure what to expect, but once I made the decision I knew I would be capable of doing anything he asked of me. I knew I could do a lot of things and he wouldn't be here now if I couldn't. I needed that direction now and he has given it to me.

"I am sure there were some doubters out there. I know a lot of people didn't think I could make it there, but I knew I could. I know how tough I am and Freddie's the judge of that. He knows what I can do. I needed someone to direct me and show me what I needed to do and the discipline I needed. I'm real happy. Nobody forced me to do it. I am just happy I did it."

[h4]Barrera's back[/h4]

box_g_barrera_b1_576.jpg
Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty ImagesMarco Antonio Barrera wants to go where no Mexican has gone before: The land of four world titles.

Although Marco Antonio Barrera, the all-time great former three-division champion, is just 2-3 in his last five fights and hasn't fought since losing a bloody five-round technical decision to Amir Khan in March 2009, he returns on Saturday's Chavez-Duddy undercard hoping to jump-start a push toward a title in a fourth weight class -- something no Mexican has done.

"The idea is to fight for a world title in a short time," Barrera said. "I know that I can and my body is good. I have experience. I don't know the name of a champion that I will fight but I know that I am ready and will prove it in this fight. After that I will fight any champion."

Barrera (68-7, 43 KOs) first must beat Brazil's Adilton DeJesus (25-4, 20 KOs) in a 10-round lightweight bout, his first since joining promoter Bob Arum's Top Rank, which so often was on the other side from Barrera, such as in all three of his battles with Erik Morales.

Now, Arum and Barrera are on the same side and Arum hopes to guide him to another title before the end of the year.

"He gave fighters that I was promoting fits," Arum said. "Now I am happy that we are in the same corner and I hope to have him, very shortly, fight for a lightweight championship, maybe against [Humberto] Soto or maybe against [Miguel] Acosta. Both fighters are under contract with Top Rank, so he'll have that opportunity to fight for a fourth world title [and] be the first Mexican to win world titles in four weight divisions. So I look forward to being in his corner when that happens.

"My goal is to do the rest of his fights for his brilliant career and to bring to the point where he wins a fourth championship and maybe has a defense or two, make some really good money and send him off to a proper retirement."

[h4]Judah update[/h4]

Former welterweight champ Zab Judah (38-6, 26 KOs) will have trainer Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, a former light heavyweight champion, in his corner assisting his father and head trainer, Yoel Judah, for his July 16 (ESPN2) fight with Jose Armando Santa Cruz (28-4, 17 KOs) at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Judah, who is training in Las Vegas, meets Santa Cruz at 143 pounds on his way back to junior welterweight.

"I know boxing backwards and forwards, but you know after all these years sometimes I can tell Zab all day long what to do and it just doesn't stick. With Eddie, there's new energy," Yoel Judah said.

Said Muhammad, who trains light heavyweight standout Chad Dawson, "Yoel asked me to come on board. We go way back, grew up together in Brooklyn. They needed a new voice. We train every day except Sunday. I do pads with him. We box, hit the speed bag and heavy bag. Saturdays we hit Mount Charleston at 6 a.m. That's 5 miles of uphill running. It's tough work. We're working on head movement, hard shots to the body, finishing up on top. I've worked with Zab before. I see a difference in him now. A good difference."
[/h4]

[h4]
[h4]QUICK HITS[/h4]

box_a_mosley_65.jpg
Mosley

• Shane Mosley, coming off a lopsided May loss to Floyd Mayweather, will meet with Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer on Friday to discuss his next fight, Schaefer told ESPN.com. Schaefer said there are at least three viable options he'll discuss with the former two-division champ: middleweight champ Sergio Martinez, welterweight titlist Andre Berto and ex-junior middleweight titleholder Sergio Mora. Schaefer said Lou DiBella, who promotes Martinez and Berto, called him about Martinez, who is hunting for a fall HBO fight. "There's an offer for Berto to fight Mosley and Mosley is also thinking about Mora, so I wanted to throw Martinez into the mix. I let Richard know we'd take a split in favor of Mosley and do the fight at 155 for Martinez's title," DiBella said. The Berto fight might not be easy to make because, according to Schaefer, "Lou thinks it would have to be 50-50, which I don't think Shane would be willing to give." Schaefer said the fight against Mora, who has a July 23 tune-up to get through, would be Sept. 18 on a pay-per-view card Schaefer is putting together at the Staples Center as part of a Mexican Independence Day celebration. Weight is an issue for Mosley-Mora because Mosley has never fought above junior middleweight and Mora fights at middleweight, because he says he can't make 154. "I know Mora is interested in the fight and I want to get direction on which way to go from Shane," Schaefer said.

box_f_aberto_65
Berto

• DiBella is trying to put together a fall HBO fight for Berto. HBO wants Berto-Mosley for Sept. 25, a fight it had scheduled in January. However, it was canceled after Berto lost eight family members in the Haiti earthquake a couple of weeks before the fight. Berto returned in April, beating Carlos Quintana, and Mosley lost to Mayweather. But with Mosley looking at other potential fall fights, DiBella is looking for a backup, so he called Top Rank's Carl Moretti about former title challenger Alfonso Gomez. But Moretti said it wasn't a fight HBO would buy and suggested rising contender Mike Jones, who Top Rank works with through a close relationship his promoter, Russell Peltz. DiBella liked the idea and Moretti said he called Peltz, who was also interested, assuming Jones wins a July 9 "ShoBox" fight with Irving Garcia. So if Berto-Mosley isn't put back together, Berto-Jones could be possible for the fall, if HBO would buy it.

box_g_maidana1_sw_65.jpg
Maidana

• Schaefer said Golden Boy and interim junior welterweight titlist Marcos Maidana, whose aborted fight July fight with Timothy Bradley stemmed from managerial problems and miscommunication, have signed a new promotional contract. "It's a long-term deal," Schaefer said. "The deal is with us and [German promtoer] Universum is our partner. We'll be more involved now and Maidana is very happy to be with us and now he knows he can deal with us directly." Maidana may return later this summer to fight in his native Argentina before a possible HBO fight in the fall in the U.S. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

box_g_Darchinyan_65.jpg
Darchinyan

• Promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com that junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan will return to Showtime in November. However, whether he defends his 115-pound belts or moves up to bantamweight hasn't been decided. Darchinyan's last fight, a lopsided decision against Eric Barcelona in Australia in May, was at bantamweight. But Darchinyan also had an usuccessful bantamweight title shot last July, when then-titlist Joseph Agbeko outpointed him. Darchinyan has talked about moving all the way to featherweight, where he'd like to face Rafael Marquez, whom Shaw co-promotes but has a tentative deal to face Juan Manuel Lopez on Sept. 18 on Showtime, assuming Lopez wins July 10 against Bernabe Concepcion. "But if Lopez loses and Rafael doesn't have a dance partner then the plans for Vic could change and maybe they'll fight each other," Shaw said.

box_fw_demarco1_65.jpg
DeMarco

• Mexican lightweight contender Antonio DeMarco (23-2-1, 17 KOs), who was pounded for nine rounds in a loss to the late Edwin Valero in a February title bout, returns July 17 against Daniel Attah (24-5-1, 8 KOs), Shaw told ESPN.com. DeMarco and Attah meet on the Timothy Bradley-Luis Carlos Abregu undercard, although the bout won't be part of HBO's "Boxing After Dark" telecast that also features junior middleweight Alfredo "Perro" Angulo against former titlist Joachim Alcine.

box_g_urango_65.jpg
Urango

• Two of the few remaining open ESPN2 "Friday Night Fights" dates are about to be filled. The July 30 main event likely will pit super middleweight prospect Donovan George against Curtis Stevens and the Aug. 28 show -- a special Saturday night slot for the season finale -- could see a return to Montreal for a card involving red-hot middleweight prospect and big draw David Lemieux along with former junior welterweight titlist Juan Urango facing Julio Diaz. It would be Urango's first fight since Devon Alexander took his title in a March unification fight. Diaz rebounded ended a two-fight losing streak with a strong performance in outpointing Herman Ngoudjo on ESPN2 May 14.

box_g_montiel_65.jpg
Montiel

• Top Rank and Zanfer Promotions are ironing out upcoming "Top Rank Live" (Fox en Espanol) cards from Mexico. According to the promoters, interim bantamweight titlist Eric Morel signed his contract and will challenge unified titleholder Fernando Montiel on July 17 in Tuxtla Gutierrez. On the undercard, Johnriel Casimiro defends his interim junior flyweight belt against Ramon Garcia with the winner mandated to face champion Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon (tentatively Aug. 28 in Puerto Rico). On the July 31 card, South Africa's Simphiwe Nongqayi is slated to make a mandatory junior bantamweight title defense against Mexico's Juan Alberto Rosas with Jorge Arce also on the card. Nongqayi won the vacant title against Arce in September. Wins by each and they may meet in a rematch. On Aug. 7, junior flyweight titlist Giovani Segura headlines in a defense. No opponent yet.

box_g_kim_65.jpg
Kim

• The IBF's lightweight title has been vacant since Nate Campbell failed to make weight for a defense against Ali Funeka and was stripped in February 2009. After other failed attempts to fill it because of weight issues and a draw, another attempt is upcoming. Ji Hoon Kim (21-5, 18 KOs) and Miguel Vazquez (25-3, 12 KOs) will meet for the belt Aug. 14 at the Laredo Energy Center in Texas, Artie Pelullo, Kim's promoter, told ESPN.com. Pelullo said he and Juan Carlos Torres, Vazquez's promoter, reached agreement and avoided a purse bid for the bout, which will be on Mexican television.

box_g_adundee_65.jpg
Dundee

• Angelo Dundee's 5th Street Gym in Miami Beach was as almost as famous as the legendary trainer. It was where Dundee, who opened the gym in 1950 with his brother, Chris Dundee, now 88, trained many of his champions, including his most famous, Muhammad Al. The gym closed in 1992 and the original building was torn down before being rebuild in 2002. Now, Dundee, along with partners Tom Tsatas, Dino Spencer and Matt Baiamonte (Dundee's training protégé), are re-opening the gym on the second floor of the new building. Jimmy Dundee, Angelo's son, will also be involved in the project. "We wanted to get Angelo on board first and get his and his son Jimmy's blessing before we did anything" Tsatas said in a statement. "We wanted to keep the lineage of Angelo with the gym and Matt is a purist and loyalist. He was the piece that brought the puzzle together."

box_g_kessler1_65.jpg
Kessler

• While Showtime has already announced that Group Stage 3 of the Super Six World Boxing Classic will begin Sept. 25 with Andre Ward's title defense against Andre Dirrell at a site in the United States, the network plans to make the night a Super Six doubleheader with Mikkel Kessler defending his belt against Allan Green, likely in Denmark. … Golden Boy's Schaefer told ESPN.com that the target date for junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan's next fight is Dec. 11 on HBO. … Junior featherweight titlist Steve Molitor of Canada suffered a training injury, forcing postponement of his July 23 defense in England against Jason Booth. The fight has been rescheduled for Sept. 10, according to Booth promoter Frank Maloney. … Junior lightweight titlist Rocky Martinez of Puerto Rico is headed to Glasgow, Scotland, to make a mandatory defense against Ricky Burns on Sept. 4, Burns promoter Frank Warren announced.

[h4]QUOTABLE[/h4]

box_i_lewis1_sw_65.jpg
Lewis
"It's overdue, David Haye fighting one of the Klitschkos. There's been a back and forth between them and everyone's been looking for it to happen. For me, when I was boxing, and somebody was talking about it and you didn't fight, you'd lose street cred. With Haye, there's a real chance he'll lose street cred if he doesn't fight one of the Klitschkos. People don't like that he's saying, 'I can beat you,' and saying all the stuff he's been saying and then he doesn't go through with it." -- former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, on British countryman and heavyweight titlist Haye's reluctance to face Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko despite repeatedly calling them out and receiving multiple offers
[/h4]

If you missed Chavez dude you missed a very good fight Duddy showed a lot of toughness and Jr showed he can really fight

Yeah Duddy looked like he was done in the 9th but came back and not only took the punches but dished some out. Chavez controlled the fight though.

Freddy Roach:pimp:

Originally Posted by TCERDA

roll.gif
   Anywho, Im just glad  the Americans are taking care of business and look like the favorites at least for now.
After Ward beats Dirrell, he'll be the only American left in the tournament.

At the Ward/Green fight, I sat next to an Angulo handler (He also helps trains Mark Tucker, who won on the undercard) .  I went back and forth with him about how Cotto would KTFO his boy. Dude was extra heated.  He was also the one that informed me that Tarver was going Heavy's.
laugh.gif

I sat like 5 rows from where Jamarcus Russell came in.  Dude did come in Crimson gear.  Only fitting I guess, cuz son is a bama.  Anways,  funny moment dude walks in and this fan with Raider gear, stands up and starts yelling at Russell.  And I swear Russell
indifferent.gif
'd him for like 30 seconds.
roll.gif

I wouldn't say Angulo would get knocked out but he'd probably lose a decision.  He basically fights the same way and style as Margarito did in that fight.  Strong chin, good punch output and good power.  But he'd need more fights before he stepped into it with Cotto.

1. Wladimir Klitschko (54-3)

With David Haye punking out yet again from facing one of the Klitschko brothers, Wladimir will move on to make a long overdue mandatory defense against Alexander Povetkin. A purse bid is scheduled for June 29 with the fight due to take place in mid-September.
Next: TBA vs. Povetkin.

4. Carl Froch (26-1)

Although he lost a tight fight and his belt to Kessler on Kessler's Danish turf in the Super Six on April 24, Froch fought like a warrior and has nothing to be ashamed of. Next up will be a tough Group Stage 3 bout against Arthur Abraham, which is expected to take place in October, even though the camps are still arguing about the site.
Next: TBA vs. Abraham

9. Sakio Bika (28-3-2)

For the right to become Bute's next mandatory challenger, Bika will face Jean Paul Mendy under the terms of the purse bid Golden Boy won for $30,000. Bika is entitled to 60 percent, or $18,000, which Golden Boy will undoubtedly supplement, while France's Mendy (28-0-1) is due 40 percent, or $12,000.
Next: TBA vs. Mendy

4. Marcos Maidana (28-1)

Argentina's big-punching Maidana looked great knocking out Victor Cayo on HBO on March 27, but issues with his management messed up a planned summer fight with Bradley. Now, Maidana seemingly has worked out the issues. He also has agreed to a new promotional contract with Golden Boy, which hopefully will allow him to get his career back on track.
Next: TBA.

1. Chris John (43-0-2)

A shoulder injury knocked John out of a May 22 title defense in his home country of Indonesia against Argentina's Fernando Saucedo, but it will be rescheduled for this summer. If John wins, he plans to go big-game hunting for a fight against the likes of Juan Manuel Lopez or Yuriorkis Gamboa.
Next: July 26 vs. Saucedo.

3. Yuriorkis Gamboa (18-0)

A July 24 unification fight on HBO against Orlando Salido was postponed because a cut Salido suffered in his previous fight had not fully healed. The show could be moved to September.
Next: TBA

5. Celestino Caballero (34-2)

The longtime junior featherweight titlist made a successful move to featherweight and hammered previously undefeated Daud Yordan on HBO on April 10. Caballero and promoter Lou DiBella were ready for him to face Gamboa on HBO, but they received a lowball offer because Gamboa's team doesn't really want the fight, so it's not happening.
Next: TBA

2. Yonnhy Perez (20-0-1)

After Perez fought to a draw with Abner Mares on May 22 in his first defense, it seemed as if we probably would see Perez-Mares II in the fall. But Perez was ordered to make a mandatory defense against former titlist Joseph Agbeko, against whom he won the title in a sensational fight. Either rematch would be a good fight for fans.
Next: TBA.

Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko will face mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin in September in Germany after K2 Promotions, the company owned by Klitschko and his brother, fellow heavyweight titleholder Vitali Klitschko, won a purse bid Tuesday at the IBF headquarters in East Orange, N.J.

K2 Promotions bid $8,313,000 to easily beat the only other bidder, Povetkin promoter Sauerland Event, which offered $4,250,001. With the split going 75 percent for the champion and 25 percent for the challenger under IBF rules, Klitschko is entitled to $6,234,750 and Povetkin $2,078,250.

Going into the bid, it seemed unlikely that Sauerland Event could win the bid since it would have to give up 75 percent of the money.

The fight will take place either Sept. 11 or Sept. 18, probably in Frankfurt, Germany, Klitschko adviser Shelly Finkel told ESPN.com.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Mosley to return against Mora[/h1]By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive
Former two-division champion Shane Mosley, coming off a lopsided decision loss to Floyd Mayweather in May, will return to the ring to face former junior middleweight titlist Sergio Mora, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

Schaefer said the fight will headline a pay-per-view card on Sept. 18 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Also due to fight on the card, which will take place on the weekend after Mexican independence day, is rising junior middleweight contender Saul Alvarez, one of Mexico's most popular fighters.

ppv tho?
grin.gif

They're going to mimic what the July 31st card is, which actually turned out to be a very solid undercard. I was hoping Mosley would come back against Sergio.
laugh.gif
they've given HBO every name from 154 to 160 and no one wants a fight so far.

they better load that undercard up

arum running his mouth better not cost us PBF VS pacman fight. dude cant keep his mouth shut

Back
Top Bottom