2009 ACC Football thread vol. Watch what you say

sick.gif

Last place: Seminoles

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

The game I'm looking most forward to is our Thursday night game against FSU on October 22.
pimp.gif

You tailgating?

'Cause I'm damn sure gonna be out there. Charlie Ward jersey in tow.

hmmm i might try to get tickets to that game...should be a great game

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

The game I'm looking most forward to is our Thursday night game against FSU on October 22.
pimp.gif

You tailgating?

'Cause I'm damn sure gonna be out there. Charlie Ward jersey in tow.
As my old basketball coach said, "Is grits grocery?". Of course I'll be tailgating. First Thursday night game in Kenan ever and thestudents are on fall break. It's going to be crazy.

This game is going to be huge for us. The homer in me thinks that we can be undefeated going into it, but then again I am always disappointed with UNCfootball.

But yeah, I'll be strapped with mini-bottles ready to see FSU get blasted by a basketball school on ESPN primetime.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

sick.gif

Last place: Seminoles
indifferent.gif

Go home Henry.

s0vqqr.gif

As my old basketball coach said, "Is grits grocery?". Of course I'll be tailgating. First Thursday night game in Kenan ever and the students are on fall break. It's going to be crazy.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Mike Paulus going to get any love this year?
Ehh. From what I've read he's made pretty big strides this offseason after contemplating transferring.

If TJ stays healthy than I doubt he will get any burn. However, TJ has been injury prone the past couple of seasons, so its not out of the question.

With the schedule Wake has I went ahead and bought season tickets for this year, been going to games the past 3 seasons for free but decided to buy this year.Mainly for Miami
pimp.gif

Can't wait... FSU gets Miami first game of the year... I'll be in attendance
pimp.gif

Got to go w/ Grobe.

Butch might be the best recruiter. Butch (correct me if I'm wrong) but he was never known for his X's and O's

But what Grobe has done, its nuts.

I'd hate to see him at a school where he could pull elite talent every year.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I hope Dominick Legrande gets some Burn at BC. Dude gonna be a crazy sleeper
supposedly he's in line to fill in for Herzlich. Hope its not too much pressure tho he's a NYC kid too
If so
pimp.gif
word? last i heard from him he was going to play safety, but he'll probably fit better in that role anyway. he's like 190+ but adequatelybuilt. but gl to him
dom easley, tressor baptiste, chris thomas, tim dollison, chris lauda

ACC in need of a national contender for respect

July 27, 2009 6:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- During a group photo shoot for the players on Sunday at the ACC Football Kickoff, Clemson bandit end Ricky Sapp asked Virginia Tech tight end Greg Boone what it felt like to wear his ACC championship ring -- the third one. Boone's bling was impossible to miss.

"He said it felt good," Sapp said, almost wistfully.

Clemson, the team that at this time a year ago was expected to be a formidable opponent for Alabama and cruise through the ACC to make some noise on the national level, has officially switched places with the Hokies, who now bear the brunt of the league's expectations.

Clemson, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech -- quite frankly, nobody around here seems to care much who it is, just as long as somebody in the ACC is a legitimate national title contender. It's exactly what this conference needs to give its reputation a boost.

An NCAA-record 10 ACC teams were bowl eligible in a crazy, competitive and unpredictable 2008 season, and the conference took a step forward in polishing its image. There is still plenty of progress yet to be made, though, said ACC commissioner John Swofford, who added the ACC has "unlimited potential."

"I think if you really step back and take a look at the conferences a year ago, top to bottom, we may well have been the deepest conference in the country a year ago," Swofford said. "What we didn't have is a team or two involved in the national championship race down the stretch. I think that has a lot to do with how a conference is perceived competitively, maybe more than it should. But the fact of the matter is it does have a lot to do with that."

Swofford said that once teams are involved in the national championship race and win certain games outside the conference, "then I think that our league will receive the kind of respect it deserves."

The Hokies are the front-runners to win the Coastal Division title, and should be a preseason top-10 team, but it's not as if they're strangers to the top of the BCS standings. Boone remembers what was lost in 2007 when the Hokies were humiliated 48-7 at LSU. That season, the Tigers bumped Virginia Tech to No. 3 in the final BCS standings.

Can Virginia Tech be the team the conference can depend on?

"We have been that team," Boone said, "we just didn't win the games we should have."

Of course, Virginia Tech isn't the only team with the hope -- or the potential -- to make a splash on the national stage. In fact, the Hokies are going to have a difficult time getting through their conference schedule unscathed, let alone the lone nonconference schedule in the league that doesn't include an FCS team. It's the parity in the ACC, the players say, that makes title talk so difficult.

"I think that's why the ACC is so competitive -- because everybody wants to take that role and become that leader of the pack," said Miami offensive tackle Jason Fox. "I think we're really close. [The freshmen] have had a year under their belt, we have a great senior class, great senior leadership, and we've got two great coordinators. ... We're getting all the pieces together."

It's a rebuilding challenge both Miami and Florida State are facing simultaneously, and many say it's the resurrection of those two programs alone that can make the difference.

"For the ACC to really be a top-tier conference, there needs to be some people fighting for that national championship and being top five," said FSU quarterback Christian Ponder. "But the problem is, the ACC is so competitive and the ACC is also known for great defenses, so it's hard to really get up there. But I think we're close. There's a bunch of good teams this year that are getting better, getting up to that top tier, so we'll see. Florida State has a lot of potential. Virginia Tech should be ranked high up there. There's a lot of potential in the conference."

The question is when that potential will be realized.

North Carolina coach Butch Davis has told his players that they should want to play "when the blimp is in the sky," meaning it's a nationally televised game that holds postseason consequences. UNC defensive end E.J. Wilson said the Tar Heels are building the program into a national contender, but in order for the league to be taken seriously, they've got to have some company.

"I do agree with that because you have the Pac-10, who has USC, which is competing for a national championship almost every year, then you have the SEC, and they have four or five teams every year that's competing for it," said Wilson. "So in order for us to get talked about in the same respect with those conferences and be mentioned in the same breath with those, we have to have a few teams -- not just one team -- consistently every year competing for the national championship. We need to get more teams that can actually be successfully on the national level and not just around here."

Originally Posted by Wraith aka invincible

I hope Dominick Legrande gets some Burn at BC. Dude gonna be a crazy sleeper
supposedly he's in line to fill in for Herzlich. Hope its not too much pressure tho he's a NYC kid too
If so
pimp.gif
word? last i heard from him he was going to play safety, but he'll probably fit better in that role anyway. he's like 190+ but adequately built. but gl to him
dom easley, tressor baptiste, chris thomas, tim dollison, chris lauda
easley is a PROBLEM. man I dont even wanna see him goin to Florida neither but I hear that where he wanna go

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

whats funny about that? CJ about to put in work MAJOR WORK

Dude had 629 yard rushing last year, and only like, I wanna say 1050 something total. That's not Heisman worthy. What makes everyone think he's gonnaexplode for like 1700 yds and 20 tds? He's a good player but he's BEEN a good player since 06. He always goes completely ghost against good defenses.The past two times we played them we held Spiller and Davis to like 10 yards COMBINED rushing. Their O-line is just not that good, and there are betterRB's in the ACC than CJ, let alone the rest of the country. Dwyer and Best are gonna post better numbers.

Who's the best coach in the ACC?

Butch? Grobe? Beamer?
Beamer

I can't wait for the first game of the season (UM at FSU) I'll be there. The U is on the rise
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Three6mafia2007

Butch? Grobe? Beamer?
Beamer

I can't wait for the first game of the season (UM at FSU) I'll be there. The U is on the rise
pimp.gif
Don't get me wrong I love Beamer, but Bud Foster is more important to our team's success than Beamer is. Beamer does a great job keepingthings level and managing the team, but his special teams have fallen wayyyy off and he doesn't know squat about offense.

Butch is a good recruiter but a terrible game day coach. Grobe does a lot with very little.

I always thought Tom O'Brien was one of the best coaches in the ACC. Always fielded great teams with BC and he seems like he's getting NC State turnedaround as well.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by Three6mafia2007

Butch? Grobe? Beamer?
Beamer

pimp.gif
Don't get me wrong I love Beamer, but Bud Foster is more important to our team's success than Beamer is. Beamer does a great job keeping things level and managing the team, but his special teams have fallen wayyyy off and he doesn't know squat about offense.

Butch is a good recruiter but a terrible game day coach. Grobe does a lot with very little.

I always thought Tom O'Brien was one of the best coaches in the ACC. Always fielded great teams with BC and he seems like he's getting NC State turned around as well.
Co-Sign on everything you said. O'Brien and Grobe are the best coaches in the ACC and year in and year out they are overlooked.

Im usually the one on here hypin up the U but ugh...i dont know

Our Schedule is
sick.gif

Shannon needs to step up IMO, if we dont improve this year give him the AX and get tubberville in here

We WILL beat VT and FSU though
happy.gif
laugh.gif

Terps.

Dont know how to predict our upcoming season before I attend some camp scrimmages and see how well our Offensive line and pretty much a new defensive squadadjusts to finally starting and being on the big stage.

Meggett and Scott will be a DISGUSTING backfield.. with the addition of the strong FB Brown.

Meggett and Scott will be a DISGUSTING backfield.. with the addition of the strong FB Brown.
Megget
pimp.gif

Dude been beastly since his freshmen year in high school

^ one of my old teammates is that pic playing for BC, that's still weird to see for me

Speaking of BC, the biggest positive they have is that 4 out of the 5 offensive lineman are returning along with the running backs. Their D is gonna be hurtingthough, lost both D-Tackles - both of whom are gonna be getting some major burn on Sunday's this year. My boy needs to return from the ankle injury too,otherwise they are gonna have 3 new linebackers as well. Ah well, they pulled a pretty good year last year when nobody expected it so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom