10 Years Since Little Brother dropped The Listening

NC...
pimp.gif

But The Minstrel Show is better imo. 

I remember when they came and performed at my school (ECU) in like 04, I believe. I wasn't really up on them, so I wasn't to interested into the show. Then I heard "Lovin It". Song was/is too dope. I bought the Minstrel Show, and I was hooked. It's a shame that the climate of music didn't allow them to get the respect they deserve.

Amazing album from a amazing group..pissed I never got to see them live(only seen them as solo acts)Phonte and Pooh have to much bad blood to do another album,damn shame. LB 4 ever!!!

Dope album from start to finish, they need to get back together and make another one

They're definitely not getting back together, Big Pooh hasn't even been ****** with 9th and Tay.

I got up on Little Brother back in 2006, right before 9th split with the group. I was watching a basketball mix or something on Ball Is Life and the "Lovin It" instrumental was in the background. Their music was my formal introduction into rap music with samples and that "common man rap." Ironically, my path took me to the school where they were formed (NCCU) back in 2008 and I got a chance to see them perform at Cat's Cradle in 2010 which was dope.

All the Little Brother posts from my blog: http://www.romebrown.com/search/label/Little Brother

Let me know if there are any dead links you want me to reupload

I used to really enjoy listening to this joint then one day something snapped and I started to strongly dislike 9th's production. It was fun while it lasted.

NC...
pimp.gif

But The Minstrel Show is better imo. 
Chitlin Circuit 1.5 was legit as well.

But yeah, I saw the "Lovin It' video on MTV back in 05, and copped The Minstrel Show in 06 (NT was on that album heavy). PIcked up their other joints within weeks of hearing them.

Really they kinda sabotaged their own success by going at BET. I understand they didn't care for programming, but that was a big bridge they burned.

"My black queen... DON'T KNOW NAAN N'!"

Y'all dudes are trippin' if you think this is weaker than 'The Minstrel Show'. I love this album. 9th's production. Phonte's lyrics. The transition from "Morning" to "Groupie, Pt. 2" to "Speed" and then finally "Whatever You Say"? Amazing. Whole album is smooth. 

and he didn't even rhyme. 
eek.gif
sick.gif
smokin.gif

:wow: Man does time fly!

I usually hold back on saying this (and not to derail this thread because it's about their first LP) but I could NOT get with TMS.

I feel like this LP was their magnum opus.

I was exposed to The Minstrel Show as my first album from Little Brother, so I have a natural bias for it. It was one of the greatest pieces of works I've ever heard. It had so much creativity, hilarity, substance, and the project was full of character all at the same time. It was just beautifully written and organized. Its like an album that just tells you a story instead of just bunching a whole bunch of random but slightly related tracks together.. I've heard mostly all of their work, and I even listen to foreign exchange, but cant say I listen to any of Big Pooh solo stuff(soundclick?), but who does?

Me personally though, I have to put minstrel above The listening, just because of what it did to my mind at the time. So to me the listening was like visiting another parts of their other catalog, and just appreciating how dope 9Th wonder is....

10 years, wow. This is by far my favorite Little Brother Album. This was on repeat for several years after its release.

Minstrel Show was HUGE for me when I got it, I was only 15 when it dropped and it was my first exposure to LB, love that damn album. Listening is great too, obviously Speed>

Back
Top Bottom