09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

[table][tr][td]Leifheit Aims to Decide Next Month
premium.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
727767.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By Don Callahan

Inside Carolina
Posted Sep 24, 2009
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

T.J. Leifheit made yet another visit to North Carolina last weekend, attending UNC's victory over in-state rival East Carolina.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
"It seemed liked a good game to go to and I have a lot of friends on the team so I just wanted to see them play," Leifheit said.
In addition to several visits over the spring and summer, Leifheit, a 6-foot-7, 300-pound offensive tackle from Wilmington (N.C.) Hoggard, has attended both of UNC's home games this year. He'll be back in Chapel Hill for the weekend of Oct. 10, which will be his official visit.

"I talked to the coaches and they all seemed to like that weekend, because they have the bye week the next week," Leifheit said. "They'll have a lot of extra time to spend with me, because they won't have as many meetings Sunday as they would on a game week. I like the idea of being able to spend a lot more time with them."

Hoggard plays cross-town rival Wilmington (N.C.) Laney the Friday before his UNC official trip. Almost immediately following the game, he will head to Chapel Hill. Since his official visit will begin so late Friday night, he'll be able to remain on campus until late Sunday.

Leifheit warns not to look too much into all the visits to UNC.

"Right now, I still have my top schools and I'm going to take my official visits and go from there," Leifheit said.

Leifheit is down to UNC, Southern Cal, and Tennessee. He says he doesn't have a "clear cut leader" and that all three schools are recruiting him equally as hard.

During the weekend of Sept. 12, Leifheit visited Tennessee for his first official visit.

"[The Tennessee visit] was awesome," Leifheit said. "I had an outstanding time. The official visit definitely helped them out a lot."

Leifheit is still in the planning stages for his Southern Cal official visit.

Towards the end of October, Leifheit believes he'll be ready to make a verbal commitment.

Although it won't be the determining factor, playing time will play a major role in Leifheit's collegiate decision.

"[Sam Pittman] has talked to me a lot about having a legitimate shot at playing time and possibly starting as a freshman," Leifheit said. "Playing time is a pretty big factor."

Leifheit has started at offensive tackle for Hoggard since his sophomore season. Thus far this season, he's grading out at 97-percent on his blocking.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Hopefully he stays in state...

Prater still a leaf in the wind,
laugh.gif

Back to the Top 5 QB discussion that was discussed pages back....

USC football: Matt Leinart is Sporting News college football player ofdecade

I wish I could quote, stupid Opera
smh.gif

My original post may not be much good if no one is familiar with TCU's system so below I've typed-out SOME of the key points of the article I mentioned. I skipped over their front info, slants, etc. Basically, they normally align their DT's in a 3 strong and either a Shade or 1-tech weak and their DE's align in a 6-tech (head-up on TE) if there is a TE and in a loose 5-tech if no TE. I also omitted their way of getting one of the safeties down into the box vs. 21 personnel, which is basically sliding to more of a 4-3 look. What I included was mainly about coverage, alignment, etc. of the secondary.

In a nutshell:

"We divide our packages into attack groups. The 4 DL & 2 LB's are one segment of our defense. We align the front 6 and they go one direction. The coverage behind them is what we call a double-quarterback system. We play with 3 safeties on the field. We have a strong, weak and free safety. The free and weak safeties are going to control both halves of the field. They are the quarterbacks and they will make all the calls…

…In our coverage scheme we are going to divide the formation at the center every snap. We play with 5 defensive backs in the secondary…

…[If the passing strength is to the defensive left] the FS calls 'read' left. The FS is going to talk to the LCB, SS, and the read side LB. The weak safety aligns on the other side and talks to the right corner and right LB…

…Starting in spring practice, the 1st Mon. we teach Cover 2 (Robber). On Tues. we teach our Blue coverage (quarters)….On Wed. we teach squats-&-halves coverage (Cover 5). After that we are done teaching our zone coverages…

…We don't worry about formations any more. When you divide the formation down the middle, to each side there are only 3 formations the offense can give the secondary. The offense can give you a pro set, which is a tight end and wideout; a twin set, which is 2 wideouts; or some kind of trips set that the defense will have to defend. That is all they can give you.

In 3 days we teach our kids to line up in all 3 coverages against those formations…when we start talking about our game play, we never talk about lining up. All we talk about is what the opponent is going to be doing and how we are going to adjust to it.

Unless the offense lines up in a 3-back wishbone or a no-back set, there are only 3 ways the offense can be aligned and still be sound. Unless we want the coverage to overplay something to one side, we don't worry about formations….

…(When we blitz) the secondary doesn't care what is going on with the front and LB's. All they know is there is going to be a blitz and both LB's are going to rush. That tells them they have to cover everybody if there is a pass…

…If there is a double smoke being run, the FS knows the SS and WS are blitzing off the edge. He has to talk to the 2 LB's to get them into coverage…

…In the secondary we have 3 zone coverages. We split the difference in those 3 coverages and it gives us 9 coverages…We can also play cover 25. That means we are playing Cover 2 (Robber) to the FS side and Cover 5 to the weak safety side. The 1st digit in the number is the FS side and the 2nd digit is the weak side…

…If the offense can't outrun your defense, they may get some big plays, but there is a chance they won't score. That is our philosophy…"

[h2]Locker jumps up to No. 7 overall[/h2]

Comment Email Print
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.
Archive

It comes as no surprise that Washington QB Jake Locker, fresh off the upset ofNo. 3 USC, is drawing the biggest buzz in scouting circles this week. The junior displayed excellent composure in the pocket behind an offensive line that didhim few favors. He also seemed unfazed by the pressure of the moment, completing all four pass attempts during a 10-play, 63-yard drive that set up ErikFolk's game-winning 22-yard field goal.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Elaine ThompsonJake Locker helped engineer Washington's biggest win in recent memory, lifting the Huskies into the Top 25 for the first time since 2003.

Multiple injuries have stunted Locker's development and NFL scouts are obviously concerned about his long-term durability. Locker also has room toimprove when it comes to reading defenses and seeing the entire field. However, when he's at full strength and in a groove like he was last weekend, it ishard not to be enamored with Locker's NFL potential. He's a big, strong-armed quarterback with excellent mobility.

The value of playing in a pro-style offense that new head coach Steve Sarkisian brought with him from USC should not be underestimated, either. It is mucheasier for NFL scouts to evaluate a quarterback in a system that translates to the NFL game, especially now with the vast majority of teams in the countryfeaturing the spread formation. In addition, Sarkisian's influence can already be seen in Locker's improved footwork and overall accuracy as apasser.

There's no question in my mind that Locker would benefit in the long run by sticking around for his senior season. It would give him time to continue topolish his mechanics under Sarkisian, while increasing his game experience, which generally correlates to NFL success at the quarterback position. But I'malso a realist. Locker could easily emerge as a top-10 prospect if he avoids the injury bug and builds momentum off last Saturday's upset of the Trojans.While I would like to see Locker return to Washington next fall, it's hard to argue with a young man's decision to cash in a winning lottery ticket inthe ballpark of $30-45 million.

As a quick side note, the 2010 draft class could be loaded at the quarterback position. Here's a look at the top seven eligible prospects, all of whomproject as first- or second-round picks (* indicates eligible underclassman):

1. Sam Bradford*, Oklahoma
2. Jake Locker*, Washington
3. Jevan Snead*, Mississippi
4. Colt McCoy, Texas
5. Tony Pike, Cincinnati
6. Jimmy Clausen*, Notre Dame
7. Tim Tebow, Florida

For a look at this week's can't-miss individual matchup and the updated top 32, become an ESPN Insider.
in.gif

Each week we'll examine the can't-miss individual matchup and an ascending small-school prospect NFL scouts are monitoring. Here's our Week 4installment:
[h3]Can't-miss individual matchup[/h3]
Virginia Tech LT Edward Wang vs. Miami RDEEric Moncur

Moncur sat out most of the 2008 season with an abdominal injury and missed this year's opener versus Florida State. However, the senior made a strongimpression in his debut last Thursday night. Moncur displayed excellent discipline versus Georgia Tech's triple-option attack and used his upper-echeloncombination of quickness and power to disrupt multiple plays in the backfield. The challenge for Moncur this week versus a more traditional Virginia Techoffense is to seal off the edge versus the run and generate pressure on QB TyrodTaylor, while maintaining some gap discipline to help bottle up the mobile quarterback.

Moncur is a more physical player, but Wang is a higher-rated draft prospect because he's a better athlete for his position and he has proved to be moredurable. In other words, Moncur has more to gain and Wang has more to lose on Saturday.

Wang has the feet to establish good positioning on nearly every play -- both run and pass. This battle will be decided at the point of attack, though. NFLscouts want Wang to show more toughness in sustaining his blocks, but Moncur is the type of player who could potentially make the Hokies left tackle look badin that regard.
[h3]Small-school standout of the week[/h3]
Grambling DE Christian Anthony vs. OklahomaState

Anthony is one of the most highly touted small-school defensive prospects in the 2010 class and he's lived up to the billing with a dominant start tohis senior season. The 6-foot-4, 250-pound end has notched 18 solo tackles, including 2.5 sacks through three games. He also has picked off two passes, one ofwhich he returned for a score.

Now it's time for Anthony to show what he can do versus big-boy competition. Anthony is instinctive and tough. He shows some solid power moves and goodclosing burst to the quarterback. However, he's a bit undersized and appears to lack ideal athleticism for the position. Anthony lines up primarily at leftdefensive end, but he will occasionally get moved around for matchup purposes. NFL scouts are certainly hoping to see Anthony line up opposite LT Russell Okung on occasion. Holding his own in some one-on-onebattles against the nation's top offensive tackle prospect would spike Anthony's draft stock in a hurry.
[h3]Small-school standout from Week 3[/h3]
Elon WR Terrell Hudgins vs. Wake Forest
Hudgins helped his cause with 13 catches for 113 yards and a touchdown in the 35-7 defeat. The late-round receiver prospect proved he's capable ofconsistently separating versus legit FCS competition.
[h3]The Top 32[/h3]
Below is a look at our updated rankings of the top 32 prospects for the 2009 NFL draft. To this point in the season we have included fourth-year juniors wedeem worthy of a Round 1 or 2 grade, and this week marks the first time we are including third-year juniors in our rankings.

Underclassmen now occupy the top four spots in our rankings and six of the top 10, and there are 15 total underclassmen included in this week'sversion
[table][tr][td]
Scouts Inc.'s Top 32 Prospects​
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Player[/td] [td]Position[/td] [td]School[/td] [td]Height[/td] [td]Weight[/td] [td]Grade[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1. Sam Bradford*[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]214[/td] [td]96[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2. Carlos Dunlap*[/td] [td]DE[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [td]6-5¾[/td] [td]293[/td] [td]96[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3. Gerald McCoy*[/td] [td]DT[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [td]6-3½[/td] [td]296[/td] [td]96[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4. Eric Berry*[/td] [td]S[/td] [td]Tennessee[/td] [td]5-11¼[/td] [td]204[/td] [td]96[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5. Russell Okung[/td] [td]OT[/td] [td]Oklahoma State[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]299[/td] [td]96[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6. Ndamukong Suh[/td] [td]DT[/td] [td]Nebraska[/td] [td]6-3⅞[/td] [td]295[/td] [td]95[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7. Jake Locker*[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]Washington[/td] [td]6-2¼[/td] [td]222[/td] [td]95[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8. Trent Williams[/td] [td]OT[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]306[/td] [td]95[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9. Jevan Snead*[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]Mississippi[/td] [td]6-2½[/td] [td]217[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10. Taylor Mays[/td] [td]S[/td] [td]USC[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]236[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11. Jahvid Best*[/td] [td]RB[/td] [td]California[/td] [td]5-9¾[/td] [td]198[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12. Navorro Bowman*[/td] [td]OLB[/td] [td]Penn State[/td] [td]6-1½[/td] [td]231[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13. Arthur Jones[/td] [td]DT[/td] [td]Syracuse[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]302[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14. Dez Bryant*[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]Oklahoma State[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [td]217[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15. Rolando McClain*[/td] [td]ILB[/td] [td]Alabama[/td] [td]6-3½[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16. Joe Haden*[/td] [td]CB[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [td]5-11⅜[/td] [td]191[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17. Greg Hardy[/td] [td]DE[/td] [td]Mississippi[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]261[/td] [td]94[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18. Brandon Spikes[/td] [td]ILB[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]252[/td] [td]93[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19. Brandon LaFell[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]LSU[/td] [td]6-2⅜[/td] [td]207[/td] [td]93[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20. Colt McCoy[/td] [td]QB[/td] [td]Texas[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]211[/td] [td]92[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21. Arrelious Benn*[/td] [td]WR[/td] [td]Illinois[/td] [td]6-1[/td][/tr][/table]

Any South Florida peeps catch that Lebatard show today? Them fools was tryna come up wtih nicknames for Jacory. Some gems came out that mf'er..
laugh.gif

"Tan Marino"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"Skinny Testaverde"

"Fro Montana"
laugh.gif

"Ben Rothlesbrotha"
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

Any South Florida peeps catch that Lebatard show today? Them fools was tryna come up wtih nicknames for Jacory. Some gems came out that mf'er..
laugh.gif

"Tan Marino"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"Black Dorsey"

"Fro Montana"
laugh.gif

"Ben Rothlesbrotha"
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Yo.

These Lakeland boys out here getting cheated something serious right now.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Wow. And it's so blatant to.

Refs ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Lane called all of the Gators commits
laugh.gif

SEC commissioner Mike Slive ordered Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin and Florida coach Urban Meyer to end their public verbal tiff this week.

Slive didn't say anything about recruiting.

So with an inspiring effort against Florida in their back pockets, Tennessee's coaches called every one of Florida's 15 verbal commitments for the 2010 class, according to a source close to the recruitment of those prospects.

Every one? Yep, every single one, and some undecided prospects, too.

The message was clear and concise: The Vols would have surely beaten Florida had it not been for Superman saving the day - and Tim Tebow is a senior.

Now, Florida fans and realists know that the "No Tebow = Vols Win" equation takes a serious leap of faith. Football is too complex a game to use such simplistic reasoning.

Perhaps another quarterback could have led the Gators to a victory? Perhaps backup John Brantley (who is considered a better pocket passer than Tebow) could have lit up the scoreboard. But let's not let logic get in the way of a good recruiting sales pitch.

Tebow certainly seemed to be the difference, at least at times. Especially when he avoided UT's Wes Brown and Rico McCoy on a key third-down conversion.

I'll let you debate just how important Tebow was.

The second part of UT's sales pitch was all about talent. Florida has more, granted. But the Vols are closing in on the defending national champions. And, UT's coaching staff kept last Saturday's game close.

So imagine what UT's coaches can do with comparable talent?

The confidence of UT's staff is the underlying factor in the pitch. Even in losses, they're still recruiting.

Remember the UCLA loss when the Bruins took a Neyland Stadium-sized needle and poked it into Knoxville's Big Orange balloon of excitement? The Vols picked up three highly rated prospects the very next day.

Now, it's not unusual for coaches to hold a silent commitment (likely receiver DeMarco Cobbs) for just the right moment when its fan base needs a boost. But to land three in a one day?

It seems Kiffin and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron will continue wooing prospects no matter the scenario.

Has the Tennessee River run over? More room for prospects' families in the Vol Navy.

Neyland Stadium has been condemned? Tom Black Track has always been the better venue.

UT's recruiting is riding higher than at anytime after a loss in the 10 years I've been covering the Vols. Yet I'd offer three suggestions:

No. 1: Don't lose to Ohio.

No. 2: Watch for the Gators to strike back. I still find it odd that quarterback Jesse Scroggins seemed more worried about UT's minor NCAA violations after his summer trip to Florida. Meyer won't stand idly by.

No. 3: Stay cocky. Prospects love it.

Visitors: UT is set to host two - juco defensive tackle David Mahoney and teammate Kenny Davis - official visitors this weekend. While that might seem like a low number, prepare yourself for a bevy of prospects for the Auburn and Georgia games in the next two weeks.

Mahoney would be a huge pickup for the Vols. The 6-foot-2, 285-pound defensive tackle from Pierce Community College in Woodland Hills, Calif., is widely considered one of the best junior college defensive tackles in the nation. Mahoney has scholarship offers from several schools.

Davis, a wide receiver, also is expected to officially visit. The 6-3, 190-pounder is committed to Kansas State.

It's hard not to imagine an immediate upgrade on UT's defensive line if the Vols land Mahoney. While junior college players can be hit or miss, the Vols have two other junior college defensive linemen committed: John Brown from Booneville, Miss., and Pat Harris from Hayward, Calif. Those two, along with Mahoney, should overcome the junior college odds.

The Vols will need help next year as they lose defensive tackles Wes Brown and Dan Williams.

Fashion Statement: So much for Kiffin not liking orange. I'm told that Kiffin decided to have the Vols don orange pants last week against Florida. The white-on-white was considered a little old fashioned by some.

Makes you wonder if black jerseys will ever make their debut. Just kidding.

Lakeland gettting +##%@!% jobbed
smh.gif

laugh.gif
@ Ben Rothlesbrotha

If you guys can't see the improvement in Jake Locker, then you guys are clearly blind or biased. Locker working with a well known QB coach (Sarkisian),will only make him better. The only knock on him before was his lack of accuracy, and he has clearly improved in that category. He always had a strong armand the legs to take off and run. One of the reasons Sarkisian left was that Locker was going to be his QB. The Huskies wouldn't have lost all theirgames last year with Locker as their QB.

Ya'll keep riding that Terrell Pryor wagon. Earlier I said they were similar, but after seeing Locker the first three games, it isLocker>>>Pryor and it isn't even close.

Back
Top Bottom