09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

How the !#+$ Pavlik was missing his Dr. Appointments?

That's weak

And it is. Cantroll with Kelly on this 1. He's starting to lose my respect. Got me all hype and did this bs again.

Yea Man, He lookin suspect.

this is the 2nd fight in a row he's pulled out of...

smh.gif

1. Wladimir Klitschko (53-3)

Klitschko has been the dominant heavyweight of the past few years and has two mandatory defenses to deal with because he holds two alphabet titles. One is Russian Alexander Povetkin and the other is American Eddie Chambers. It looks as though Chambers will get first crack in December, likely in Germany.
Next: TBA.

3. Alexander Povetkin (17-0)

The 2004 Olympic gold medalist and one of Wladimir Klitschko's mandatory challenger has hired ESPN's own Teddy Atlas to train him. Povetkin will relocate to the United States and is expected to fight this fall while awaiting a mandatory shot.

1. Tomasz Adamek (38-1)

The champ could defend against Bernard Hopkins in January now that talks between Golden Boy and Adamek promoter Main Events have resumed. But there is also still talk of Adamek stepping up to heavyweight for the sideshow of sideshows -- a showdown with Polish countryman Andrew Golota.

1. Bernard Hopkins (49-5-1)

Hopkins said he'd like to fight in January around his 45th birthday and said his first choice is the winner of the Nov. 7 Chad Dawson-Glen Johnson fight, but Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer said there is also still a chance to resurrect a fight with cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek. Either way, you have to figure this will finally be Hopkins' swan song.

5. Karoly Balzsay (21-0)

If Hungary's Balzsay comes through his second defense against ex-title challenger Robert Stieglitz (35-2), he could next defend against Sakio Bika on the Bute-Andrade II HBO undercard.
Next: Aug. 22 vs. Stieglitz.

6. Allan Green (28-1)

Instead of taking more money to fight Bika on the high-profile Sept. 19 Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez undercard (HBO pay-per-view), Green instead will face one-dimensional Victor Oganov (28-2) for less money in an easier fight on Showtime's "ShoBox" in the fall.
Next: Oct. 2 vs. Oganov.

Vagina.

1. Kelly Pavlik (35-1)

After all that hard work to make a deal for Pavlik to defend the middleweight championship against ultra-dangerous Paul Williams, the fight is in jeopardy because Pavlik is supposedly plagued by a nagging staph infection on a left knuckle. So the fight slated for Oct. 3 has been postponed, with Dec. 5 being a good possibility for a make-up date. Let's hope the sides are able to keep this great fight together.
Next: TBA vs. Williams.

2. Sergei Dzindziruk (36-0)

Dzindziruk hoped that he would be defending his belt against Williams in the fall, but it won't happen with Williams facing Pavlik. It has left Dzindziruk upset with promoter Universum.

3. Sergio Martinez (44-1-2)

A Sept. 26 defense that was in the works for Martinez, in his home country of Spain, has been called off. Instead, Martinez may fight in the United States in December.

5. Verno Phillips (42-12-1)

The gritty former titleholder has been on the shelf since his November loss to Williams and is unhappy with promoter Artie Pelullo. However, with the contract up, Phillips will return to headline a Versus card against former welterweight titlist Carlos Quintana.
Next: Sept. 17 vs. Quintana.

7. Kermit Cintron (31-2-1)

Promoter Lou DiBella has been trying to finalize a bout between welterweight titlist Andre Berto and Shane Mosley. However, Cintron was the first choice as a backup plan, but he radically overpriced himself, killing his chances to get a potential fight with Mosley.

10. Alfredo "Perro" Angulo (16-1)

The always-entertaining Angulo returned from his first defeat, a competitive decision loss to Cintron in May, to smash Gabriel Rosado inside two rounds on "Friday Night Fights" on Aug. 7. The win set up Angulo for a return to HBO on the Chad Dawson-Glen Johnson II undercard against Harry Joe Yorgey (22-0-1). Next: Nov. 7 vs. Yorgey.

1. Sugar Shane Mosley (46-5)

With a fight unification bout against Andre Berto all but dead for the fall, there is a possibility Mosley will instead return to HBO to defend his title against dangerous former titlist Joshua Clottey on Dec. 5.

4. Andre Berto (25-0)

Talks for a Mosley-Berto unification bout broke down over money, so Berto promoter Lou DiBella made a deal with the handlers of newly crowned titlist Isaac Hlatshwayo for a December fight. However, that deal depends on HBO giving a date to Berto, and it's unclear if that will happen.

5. Luis Collazo (30-4)

Collazo is in a mandatory position for a rematch with Berto, but with Berto possibly unifying titles, it means Collazo could wind up fighting for an interim strap against Selcuk Aydin.

5. Edwin Valero (25-0)

After turning down $200,000 to defend his title against a nobody on Top Rank's July 25 pay-per-view card, Valero is expected back in the ring on the Nov. 14 Miguel Cotto-Manny Pacquiao undercard, assuming he gets his licensing issues in Nevada cleared up.

6. Ali Funeka (30-2-2)

The IBF has grown tired of waiting for its vacant title to be filled by the winner of a twice-postponed match between Yuri Romanov and Fernando Angulo. So it might withdraw the sanction and order a fight between South Africa's Funeka and Guzman to fill the vacancy.

5. Malcolm Klassen (24-4-2)

With Guerrero safely through his bout against Hinojosa, the South African titleholder will come to America to defend his belt on HBO against "The Ghost." Guerrero manager Shelly Finkel said the fight is a done deal.
Next: Aug. 22 vs. Guerrero.

Don't miss that fight, Ghost going to shut some fools up.

10. Rafael Marquez (38-5)

Although plans for a fourth fight against Israel Vazquez have been scrapped, Marquez is staying busy after a yearlong layoff. He knocked out Jose Francisco Mendoza in the third round in May and returns in Mexico against Gonzalo Munguia (13-6-3).
Next: Aug. 22 vs. Munguia.

1. Celestino Caballero (32-2)

Instead of waiting around for a big fight, Panama's Caballero, who has been relentlessly calling out titlist Juan Manuel Lopez, will stay busy by going to Mexico to defend his unified belts against journeyman Francisco Leal (14-4-2).
Next: Aug. 29 vs. Leal.

Berto would have problems with Shane, Berto is too flat footed and Shane can punch and still has good hand speed , Clottey he can win IF he fights the wholefight and not take rds ouff

Berto shouldnt even think about Shane right now. He's lucky he even got the decision against Collazo. He shoulda lost that fight. And Berto's speed isnot even that much greater than Shane's, if it even is at all. IMO. If Shane fights Berto. Shane by stoppage no later than 9 rounds. Shane vs Clottey
pimp.gif
Thatl be a better fight.

Fighters dont have to be faster than shane. Cotto damn sure aint. but there was enough speed vs his old age to give him problems.

Margarito has/had zero hand or foot speed. that fight was taylor made for Shane. and he took advantage.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Fighters dont have to be faster than shane. Cotto damn sure aint. but there was enough speed vs his old age to give him problems.

Margarito has/had zero hand or foot speed. that fight was taylor made for Shane. and he took advantage.

True but Berto is no Cotto.

so williams is going to move on and fight some else now?

Got tickets to the UCLA game the same Night as the Floyd VS JMM fight. think im pass on football

so williams is going to move on and fight some else now?

Seems to be the feeling I'm getting from what I have been reading. There is definitely something going on with Pavlik outside this whole staph infectiongarbage.

[h2]Commission amends head injury rule[/h2]
Comment Email Print Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

The Nevada State Athletic Commission adopted two major rules changes at its meetings in Las Vegas on Wednesday that could have a significant impact onboxing in the fight capital of the United States.

In two 5-0 votes, the commission approved the use of instant replay for boxing and mixed martial arts bouts and also amended a rule that previously did notallow fighters in either sport to apply for a license in the state if they had previously suffered a cerebral hemorrhage.

[+] Enlarge
John Rivera/Icon SMIEdwin Valero, who suffered a head injury in a 2001 motorcycle accident, can now apply for a license to fight in Las Vegas.

Both new rules are expected to go into effect in September, said Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada commission. He said both must be approvedby the Nevada's Legislative Counsel Bureau, which will make sure neither violates any state statutes.

"They'll look at them and they'll file them with the state librarian," Kizer said. "Bottom line is that within 30 days they should beon the books."

The Sept. 19 Floyd Mayweather-Juan Manuel Marquez card at the MGM Grand is the first significant boxing show in the state under which replay could beused.

"Mayweather-Marquez will either be the first under the new regulations or the last under the old regulations," Kizer said.

The use of instant replay was adopted on a limited basis and will be at the sole discretion of the referee. Kizer said it will only be used when an injuryforces a fight to be stopped.

"An eye poke, a cut, something along those lines," Kizer said. "The cut happens, the fighter cannot continue and the referee makes a callwhether it was caused by a punch or a head butt. If he feels the use of replay will help him be sure, he can review it. It's no different than the NFL. Ifthe replay is inconclusive, the initial call stands."

Replay will not be used, Kizer said, to determine such things as whether a knockdown is caused by a punch or was a slip.

"I like the accuracy it can provide," said Todd duBoef, the president of Las Vegas-based promoter Top Rank. "As long as the use of replaydoes not jeopardize the action of the contest, I think it will be a good thing and very healthy for the sport."

Featherweight contender Rocky Juarez, who challenges Chris John for his title on the Mayweather-Marquez undercard, also supports the use of replay.

"I believe it is a good thing," Juarez said. "A lot of times fights are stopped where there's a head butt and you don't know if itwas accidental or intentional. Replay clears that up."

Since 1972, Nevada rules prevented a fighter who had suffered a head injury, such as a subdural hematoma (bleeding on the brain), from applying for alicense, even if the injury was not related to fighting and there was no longer evidence of it in medical testing.

That rule is what prevented fighters such as heavyweight Joe Mesi and lightweight titlist Edwin Valero from asking Nevada for a license after injuries.

But with advances in medical technology, the commission revisited the rule and took its unanimous vote after a recommendation from Dr. Albert Capanna, aneurosurgeon and chairman of Nevada's medical advisory board, which also approved of the rule change.

It is significant for Valero, who suffered a head injury in a 2001 motorcycle accident. He turned pro in 2002 and fought without any issues but was denied alicense in New York when he failed a pre-fight MRI in 2004. New York placed him on the indefinite suspension list. Other states honored the ruling as suggestedthey do under the rules of the Association of Boxing Commissions.

Valero eventually continued his career in Japan and won a junior lightweight title. In March 2008, Valero was granted a license in Texas, which had himsubmit to a battery of tests before allowing him to fight there. In April, Valero fought in Austin, Texas, and knocked out Antonio Pitalua in the second roundto claim a lightweight title.

But Valero wants the bigger money fights that are usually associated with Las Vegas. His promoter, Top Rank, has designs on putting him in a significantbout on the Nov. 14 Miguel Cotto-Manny Pacquiao undercard.

Now, Valero, and any other fighter in a similar situation, can at least apply for a license. The commission will consider each fighter on a case-by-casebasis.

"A lot of things have changed since 1972 in terms of medical testing," Kizer said. "We have a better ability to scan and some scansdidn't even exist in 1972. The commission is not changing its view of these injuries, just changing so we can utilize modern medicine in making adetermination. Anyone with a hemorrhage history would have to go before the medical advisory board and probably get a ton of different tests and then thecommission would make its decision. Just because you can apply now doesn't mean it's going to be easier to get a license if you've had ahemorrhage."

Valero's MRI films were sent to the commission months ago in anticipation of the rule change. Kizer said Capanna was encouraged by the initial review ofthe films, but Valero will have to submit to extensive testing and a review by the medical advisory board and commission before he is granted a license.

"I think the change of the rule is the commission adapting to use information that is available," said duBoef, Valero's promoter. "Therehave been many medical experts that believe that there is not enough evidence to prohibit a fighter from participating in a contest if they have had a previouscerebral hemorrhage. We've seen a number of participants who have fought after a cerebral hemorrhage and had good careers. Now at least Nevada willconsider the application.

"We'll explore the process to get Valero a license in the state of Nevada," duBoef said. "We'll go through the inspections andbattery of tests in order to get him licensed. Nevada should be commended for getting up to date and modernizing the commission's rules."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

^^ Valero reminds me of Fonzie from Happy Days. lol
QUOTES FROM TODAY'S HBO BOXING AFTER DARK FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE

PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 21 Aug 2009

diaz-malignaggi.final.pr.01.300w.jpg

Houston, TX -- Former Three-Time Lightweight World Champion Juan Diaz (Left) and former Junior Welterweight World Champion Paulie Malignaggi (Right) face off on August 20, 2009 in Houston, Texas at the final press conference for their August 22, 2009 bout at Toyota Center in Houston which will be televised live on HBO's Boxing After Dark.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Bernard Hopkins, Former Two-Division World Champion and Golden Boy Promotions Partner

"If you think you're not going to see action unless you see the main event, you're doing yourself a disservice. When you come to the fight early (and see the undercard) you see the future of boxing."

Shane Mosley, Welterweight World Champion and Golden Boy Promotions Partner

"I'm happy to be here because it's going to be a great fight with two great fighters. Paulie, he's got charisma, and Juan is a warrior, he'll fight until the end. It's going to be a good fight."

Juan Diaz, Former Three-Time World Champion

"In boxing you might get knocked out, you might get cut, you might lose, but what show's what kind of boxer you are is how you come back."

"I'm a former World Champion, I'm 25 years old, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain."

"I'm not going to trash talk or say anything . . . that night I'm only going to see one thing in my way to being a world champion and that's Paulie Malignaggi. I'll let what I do in the ring do the talking."

Paulie Malignaggi, Former Junior Welterweight World Champion

"I've been in the gym literally the entire year; I've maybe missed three weeks, that was it."

"Believe me, I am ready to fight, I'm sharp, I wanted this fight and I'm ready."

Malcolm Klassen, IBF Junior Lightweight World Champion

"I didn't come all the way to Texas to give my title away."

"I know Robert's been sparring against Shane Mosley, and Shane is one of my idols, but I'm not Shane, I'm the total package."

Robert Guerrero, Former Two-Time Featherweight World Champion

"I'm ready to go. I had a great six-week camp. I've been sparring with Shane Mosley. Who's better to spar with than Shane Mosley? So tune in Saturday night because I'm ready to win another world title."

Danny Jacobs, Middleweight Prospect

"Ishe is a great fighter and I'm looking forward to testing my talent. I'm glad he's training hard. I'm ready for the challenge."

Ishe Smith, Veteran Middleweight

"I will not lose this fight, it's just not happening."

About August 22 HBO Boxing After Dark Show:

Former Three-Time Lightweight World Champion Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz will take on former Junior Welterweight World Champion Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi in a 12 round junior welterweight bout. The co-main event will feature a world title showdown between IBF Junior Lightweight World Champion Malcom Klassen and former Two-Time Featherweight World Champion Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero in a 12 round bout for Klassen's title. The opening TV bout will see the exciting middleweight prospect Danny "The Golden Child" Jacobs taking on the battle tested Ishe "Sugar Shay" Smith in a 10 round bout for the NABO Middleweight Championship.

All three fights, which are presented by Golden Boy Promotions, with Diaz vs. Malignaggi being presented in association with DiBella Entertainment and Klassen vs. Guerrero being presented in association with Branco Sports Productions, will air on HBO Boxing After Dark beginning at 8:45 pm CT (9:45 pm ET/PT). The evening of boxing is sponsored by Quaker State, Cerveza Tecate and Southwest Airlines. Doors open at 3:15pm and the first bout begins at approximately 3:15pm.

diaz-malignaggi.final.pr.02.300w.jpg

(From Left to Right) Middleweight prospect Daniel Jacobs, former Two-Time Featherweight World Champion Robert Guerrero, former Three-Time Lightweight World Champion Juan Diaz, former Junior Welterweight World Champion Paulie Malignaggi, IBF Junior Lightweight World Champion Malcolm Klassen and veteran middleweight Ishe Smith pose on August 20, 2009 in Houston, Texas at the final press conference for their August 22, 2009 bouts at Toyota Center in Houston which will be televised live on HBO's Boxing After Dark.
who do y'all got? I'm taking Paulie by SD

I typed a nice response to Dako but found out I hit my post limit so I had to logout
laugh.gif
all I'll say now is Diaz by UD in a good fight.

Back
Top Bottom