♠♥♣♦ Texas Hold 'Em ♠♥♣♦

What websites do you guys recommend?

I wanna start playing casually to get a few bucks here and there. Nothing big.

Originally Posted by T i c a l

Who are your guys' favorite pro players? Mine are Gus Hansen and Phil Ivey...

- Tical.
Hansen and Ivey.
pimp.gif

I kid you not... I have this friend who SWEARS Phil Hellmuth is GOD disguised as a poker player. Seriously. Dude even quotes him word for word.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Lets set up a private tourney on FTP or Poker Stars. When is the best time for everyone? $10 buy in sound good? . Anyways, IMO, the last 2 NT tournies we hadwere NOT donk-fests so I dont think the amount of the buy-in will really matter. I think most will be comfortable with the $10-$20 range.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Don't read poker books. They are really pointless in my experiences. It will only make your game worse. Best way to learn is to play first hand.

Pointless in your experience? I'm curious how that is... care to elaborate, because i own about a half dozen different books and I learn something from each of them, and still refer back to them when i feel like i'm getting away from my game.

I mean - the theory of poker should be in every hotel room dresser just like the bible.

Honestly - what books did you read and how did you not get anything from them? My guess is you've never actually read one so you just call them "pointless"
grin.gif

I mean hell - i know pro's that admit they read everything they can get their hands on.

Poker is a game of information, my friend. Get informed.

I appreciate your insight on the topic of poker books. I have played poker 5 days a week during the summer since i've turned 21. I;ve played in poker clubsas well. I have skimmed through the books and found that they add basic knowledge to your game but are merely stating the obvious. You can learn just the sameif you play the game live. My days consist of 12-18 hr sessions.

To each their own i presume. My outlook on books seems to be very negative. Numerous friends of mine also agree that books don't help your game too much ifyou have a fair amount of experience under your belt.

Originally Posted by T i c a l

Who are your guys' favorite pro players? Mine are Gus Hansen and Phil Ivey...

- Tical.

Mike The Mouth Matusow
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Phil Hellmuth could get an uppercut from me

Originally Posted by mike23theking

Any NT'ers coming down to the SoCal/714 area, get at me! New players(new money) ALWAYS welcome!
wink.gif

imma hit u up next time im in socal
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Lets set up a private tourney on FTP or Poker Stars. When is the best time for everyone? $10 buy in sound good? . Anyways, IMO, the last 2 NT tournies we had were NOT donk-fests so I dont think the amount of the buy-in will really matter. I think most will be comfortable with the $10-$20 range.
you can do that??
never heard of it- if so i'm down for PS...doesn't matter the buy-in

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Originally Posted by theyhatinonme

Yes I do believe online is a scam. So I don't mess with it no more.

Exactly how I feel. I havent played in months for this reason. If I could play live I would. WAY to many bad beats that I've suffered, so I stopped playing. I'm a smart player, only play good hands, once in awhile when I feel lucky or like a hand will play. I don't bluff much. As far as seeing the flop on pocket pairs it depends on the situation. I believe I understand poker as much as some pros. I just don't have the bank roll to play real games..which is why I play against so many donks.

Tell me about it, in the course of about 30min I saw the same guy get quads 2 times and one of those times I had the ace high flush so yea they are riggedsomehow. This was on full tilt by the way.

some of my favorite pros:

Phil Ivey- semi loose but agressive makes a great combo does well in both tourneys and cash play

Gus Hansen- Very loose and agressive sometimes his play gets in trouble or makes him $$ but its so hard to but him on a hands

Scotty Nyguen - More of a tournament player but does very well and knows how to lay down hands

Mike "the mouth" Matsuow- Really starting to like him more bc he doesnt blow up as much anymore when he plays smart hes one of the best, makes greatmoves and call in both tourneys and cash games

PROS THAT I DONT LIKE :

Daniel Negreau(sp?) - was one of my favorite but over the last 2 years he let the fame get to his head IMO, calling people down knowing he has the worst handjust to prove that he called out what they had
grin.gif

Chris Moneymaker- okay he might have been the savior for the WSOP a couple years back..but come on hes a fluke hasnt done anything since
tired.gif

Shawn Shieky Shakan- dudes just got some change and thinks hes good and all (supposely he got deported for hitting his wife)
roll.gif

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Phil Hellmuth- great player makes good reads but got to much fame in his head ...just dont care for dude

Barry Greenstien- great cash player good reads and plays

Patrick Antonius - havesnt seen alot of him but this stuff ive seen is great...very loose and agressive dont think 20,000 bet is going to get him out of a hand

Originally Posted by Absolution25

Don't read poker books. They are really pointless in my experiences. It will only make your game worse. Best way to learn is to play first hand.

Pointless in your experience? I'm curious how that is... care to elaborate, because i own about a half dozen different books and I learn something from each of them, and still refer back to them when i feel like i'm getting away from my game.

I mean - the theory of poker should be in every hotel room dresser just like the bible.

Honestly - what books did you read and how did you not get anything from them? My guess is you've never actually read one so you just call them "pointless"
grin.gif

I mean hell - i know pro's that admit they read everything they can get their hands on.

Poker is a game of information, my friend. Get informed.

I appreciate your insight on the topic of poker books. I have played poker 5 days a week during the summer since i've turned 21. I;ve played in poker clubs as well. I have skimmed through the books and found that they add basic knowledge to your game but are merely stating the obvious. You can learn just the same if you play the game live. My days consist of 12-18 hr sessions.

To each their own i presume. My outlook on books seems to be very negative. Numerous friends of mine also agree that books don't help your game too much if you have a fair amount of experience under your belt.

Fair enough - i'm just saying, if it's good enough for pros to be picking up tips in these books, it's good enough for me. I knowthere's a lot of concepts i never picked up on just through experience, that i feel really changed my game thanks to some of my books.

I think books have, however, changed the way you have to play to make money consistently. Now that so many read them and follow of a lot of their ABCstrategy, that is no longer the optimal strategy to employ in many situations..Not that it was ever the only way to play, but it was the safe way to beat manybad players. Now you've gotta be much more aggressive and loose in many games to really be effective, in my experience. And i think most books won'ttell you that - although daniel negreanu's writings on small ball in tournaments is a good start at talking about this style of play, and he's alsoreally good at talking about speeding up and slowing down. And there's a few others out there that really do a good job explaining a looser style of play.

But as you said - to each their own. You obviously have something working for you if you're putting in that many hours - i'm not going to say anybodyNEEDS to read books to get good at poker, and nothing is a substitute for experience. But i don't think you could ever really hurt yourself by gettinganother persons perspective on the game to think about. How/if you implement those ideas is up to you.

obie21 wrote:
Originally Posted by the north west

so let's get this tournament started

im down, pokerstars..someone organize it

I could set up a tourny on PS, just let me know the date and time you want.

Oh and btw, these threads always get locked.
nerd.gif

When is the best time for everyone?

Personally I'd prefer it to be on a Thursday night around 7-8pm. I like Pokerstars better. I just remembered that I can't play on Full Tilt Pokerbecause Canadian Visa Cards do not work on gambling websites. There are a variety of different ways of depositing funds on Pokerstars, I usually just enter mychequing account information and the funds get deposited right away.

Also, make sure that you can get money into your Pokerstars account in advance. A lot of Americans have trouble with depositing on Pokerstars so make sure youtry to deposit your money 1-2 days before the tourny is scheduled.

And i think most books won't tell you that - although daniel negreanu's writings on small ball in tournaments is a good start at talking about this style of play, and he's also really good at talking about speeding up and slowing down. And there's a few others out there that really do a good job explaining a looser style of play.
the small ball section in power holdem was pretty interesting, even though i dont enjoy playing like that. only a matter of time before a bookbegins advocating LAG play everywhere

My favorite poker book of all time would have to be Super System 1 because it talks about many different forms of poker and not just nl

ironically I bought that book with a gift certificate that I won from a school poker tournament

My favorite poker players are:

Daniel Negreanu
Kenny Tran
Allen Cunningham

I still haven't got around to playing online. I play home games. My boys and I play cash games but I haven't played in a few months... mostly due toschool. When the time comes for me to join an online poker site, what's the best site to join? I hear of a lot of bad beats on Full Tilt. Is that true?How's Poker Stars for you guys?

bad beats are gonna happen much more online then live due to the large amounts of hands being played

Both FTP and PS are good choices, but I think FTP has a better deposit bonus, but be sure to sign up for rake back cause that is where you can make a lot ofyour money back

I play on PS just because they would let me deposit and FTP wouldn't but I like the stuff you can buy on FTP with the bonus points

I really want a FTP fitted or jersey

Back
Top Bottom