Will Smith is officially the Greek God of Hollywood

man he is the most bankable star arguably, Johnny Depp is neck and neck with him but damn....

on a sidenote: %++* did anyone think Alvin and the Chipmunks would pull 45 million??? there was almost 0 marketing for this movie

LOS ANGELES - For the last man on Earth, Will Smith sure has a lot of friends. TheWarnerBros. tale "I Am Legend," starring Smith as a plague survivor who may be the last living human, debuted with $76.5 million, the biggestDecember opening ever and a personal best for one of Hollywood's top box-office champs, according to studio estimates Sunday.

"It's no wonder Will Smith feels so lonely. Everyone else on Earth is in the movie theater," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

The 20th Century Fox family flick "Alvin and theChipmunks," starring Jason Lee in a big-screen take on the cartoon critters, opened a strong No. 2 with $45 million. The two films combined to giveHollywood a year-end surge after a drowsy fall season.

"Forty-five million acorns," said Chris Aronson, senior vice president for distribution at 20th Century Fox. "Chipmunks are diurnal animalsand they do hibernate, but not right now."

Overall business soared, with the top 12 movies taking in $153.6 million, up 39 percent from the same weekend a year earlier, when Smith also was No. 1 witha $26.5 million debut for "The Pursuit ofHappyness."

The previous No. 1 movie, New Line Cinema's fantasy "The Golden Compass," nose-dived in its second weekend, coming in third with $9 million, down adismal 65 percent from its less-than-expected $25.8 million debut a week earlier.

"The Golden Compass," which cost $180 million to produce, has done $90 million so far overseas but has proven a dud domestically with just $41million.

On the other hand, "I Am Legend" smashed Smith's personal debut record, easily exceeding the $52.1 million opening weekends of"I, Robot" and "Men in Black II," his previous bests. "I AmLegend" outdid the $72.6 million premiere of 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," the previous best December opening.

"It's nice to be in the Will Smithbusiness," said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros. "He is just the No. 1 box-office star in the world today."

Based on the Richard Matheson novel filmedtwice before as Vincent Price's "TheLast Man on Earth" and Charlton Heston's"The Omega Man," "I AmLegend" casts Smith as a scientist trying to find a cure and fighting off the vestiges of humanity, people transformed by the plague into vampire-likecreatures.

Two Golden Globe nominees just hitting theaters did well in their second weekends.

Focus Features' "Atonement" - atragic romance that led the Globes with seven nominations, including best drama and acting honors for Keira Knightley and James McAvoy - pulled in $1.85 million in 117 theaters. That gave "Atonement" a strongaverage of $15,835 a theater, compared to $21,224 in 3,606 cinemas for "I Am Legend."

Fox Searchlight's "Juno," a teen-pregnancy comedy whose three nominations included best comedy or musical and an acting honor for Ellen Page, grossed $1.44 million in 40 theaters for a$36,018 average.

"Atonement" and "Juno" expand into nationwide release over the next three weekends.

Another Golden Globe nominee, the Paramount Classics-DreamWorks foreign-language contender "The Kite Runner," debuted strongly with $450,970 in 35 theaters for a $12,885 average. Spanningthe Soviet invasion of Afghanistan to modern times, the film follows an emigrant to America who returns home to rescue the son of a childhood friend.

Francis Ford Coppola's first film in 10years, "Youth Without Youth" from Sony Pictures Classics, had a so-so debut of $27,815 in six theaters, averaging $4,636. The film stars Tim Roth as an elderly language scholar whose youth isrestored by a lightning strike.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be releasedMonday.

1. "I Am Legend," $76.5 million.

2. "Alvin and the Chipmunks," $45million.

3. "The Golden Compass," $9million.

4. "Enchanted," $6 million.

5. "No Country for Old Men," $3million.

6. "The Perfect Holiday," $2.97million.

7. "Fred Claus," $2.3 million.

8. "This Christmas," $2.3 million.

9. "Atonement," $1.85 million.

10. "August Rush," $1.8 million.

movie was ok, and will smith is a ok actor, he was in a few good movies but also a lot of crappy ones

I didnt even know theres was a chipmunks movie
smh.gif

Alvin is the bigger surprise. I know its a kids movie but it looked terrible.

Congrats to Vince. He really made that movie.

movie was ok, and will smith is a ok actor, he was in a few good movies but also a lot of crappy ones
chances are someone could say the same for your favorite actor.

"chipmunks pulling in $45m is insane....i doubt it'll make 10m next week.

Originally Posted by Lavious

chances are someone could say the same for your favorite actor.

"chipmunks pulling in $45m is insane....i doubt it'll make 10m next week.

i disagree, sequels tend to have that effect but movies aimed towards child have the longest runs and with the xmas season, I bet it pulls another $30million next weekend

They have The Dark Knight to thank for most of those box office numbers.

A lot of people went just for the trailer.

Originally Posted by KOBE IS NOT GOAT

eyes.gif
false!!! dont try to put other people in the same dumb boat asyou,and whoever paid money to see a trailor as obvioulsy u did are truly sad

Originally Posted by Peja4Prez

Will Smith does not make crappy movies man....you are trippin. Aside from Wild Wild West, all his movies are very entertaining. He is one of the fewactors that are in the club of actors who dont make bad movies. Will, Denzel, Leo.....chances are if they are in a new movie, it will be
pimp.gif

He was pretty big time back in the day, now he's just overrated and all hype.

Look at how crappy of a movie I am Legend is and yet it still makes bank. The public will eat anything up

He is one of the few actors that are in the club of actors who dont make bad movies. Will, Denzel, Leo.....chances are if they are in a new movie, it will be .

The thing is, they have put in their work and now they have the ability to choose what they want to play in. Sure, the actors play a role in the final picturebut its the script, producer, and director that make the film. The actors are the icing on the cake and they have made excellent choices.

i personally went for the Rambo trailer then I left, why would I wanna see the most anticaptied movie of the winter???

come on dude, are you serious?

eek.gif
@ the results for Alvin and the Chipmunks. The really surprising aspectis that the film wasn't heavily marketed (or was I just in stuck in a TDK coma?) and not even the people who use to watch the show in the 80's showedany interest.

And to say that The Dark Knight Prologue had nothing to do with the results is absurd. Movie would still have been number one by a mile, but the prologue gaveit a little push. I mean, anyone who went to see the IMAX screenings on opening day would have to agree with me. Got more of an applause than I Am Legenditself (which I did like, but could have been better).

So basically YOU went just for the trailer?

Originally Posted by Retrosnipe

Look at how crappy of a movie I am Legend is and yet it still makes bank. The public will eat anything up
Ever think everyone has their own opinion?

Its some serious haters on NT nowadays.

Originally Posted by areyouin729

I didn't even go to see IAL...

Hop off nuts.
is the joker's lipstick smeared from you?
Nah, But my balls are kinda irritated with you hanging from them.

I'm gonna need you to let go...
3152535e6fb783fc4c359e6ef61ad0373699570.gif

Anyway, I don't why dudes is getting defensive as if proceeds from I Am Legend are going directly into their pocket, Or they had something to do withmaking the movie...

The TDK trailer was a huge draw for a loooot of poeple. The movie was gonna do good regardless, But the TDK trailergave it that extra push.

WB wins in the end, Because they get to raise awareness for TDK, and at the same time boost profits for I Am Legend.

But I wouldn't expect y'all to know that.

Originally Posted by Retrosnipe

indifferent.gif
that was a sick movie

Back
Top Bottom