Will Chris Kaman hurt Dwight's trade options?

solarius49

Banned
1st thing, i know Kaman is nowhere near the level of athleticism, ability and youth of Howard.  But to pretend that Kaman hasnt been a quality center throughout his career is foolish.  So wouldnt the teams who might consider trading for Howard, rather take Kaman, being that he would be tens of millions cheaper.  Kaman, while much less athletic would still bring rebounding, defense and post offense....thoughts?

is it that ridiculous, that Dallas, could get Kaman for the low, and offer DWILL max contract money, while still keeping their cap options flexible

..flexible for whom?
roll.gif

A+ gif

just playing devils advocate, but 2 max contracts will cripple the Mavs payroll for years

They sacrificed a lot to make room for potential additions after this season is over. I don't think they're going to bother making things difficult  for themselves by signing Chris Kaman.

Sacrificed alot? Kaman is ATLEAST equal to Chandler, and Barea was an ok contributor, but Beaubois easily replaced his ppg production. I just feel like adding DWill is a must, but Howard is much more of a want than a need. The money that both players would command would cripple the payroll for free agency for the next few years...idk, i like Dwight, but i dont think he would be a great fit with the Mavs. They had been winning for years with Brendan Haywood (bleh) at center, and Chandler finally put them over the top. DWill+a solid YOUNG swingman+depth and a PF to develop behing Dirk would be much more beneficial in the long run

Chris Kaman?
laugh.gif

Maybe if you want half or less of Dwight's production.

Big man get overpaid anyways so you might as well pay the best one the most money.

thats my point, they have won a championship, and lots and lots of playoff games with much much less production. and idk why NT thinks Chris Kaman is a bum or something, hes a been a quality center for awhile. Not to mention, its hard to have 3 players (who would be DWill, Dirk, and Dwight, considering Kidd might be gone) would want to be the leader of the team

Originally Posted by solarius49

Sacrificed alot? Kaman is ATLEAST equal to Chandler, and Barea was an ok contributor, but Beaubois easily replaced his ppg production. I just feel like adding DWill is a must, but Howard is much more of a want than a need. The money that both players would command would cripple the payroll for free agency for the next few years...idk, i like Dwight, but i dont think he would be a great fit with the Mavs. They had been winning for years with Brendan Haywood (bleh) at center, and Chandler finally put them over the top. DWill+a solid YOUNG swingman+depth and a PF to develop behing Dirk would be much more beneficial in the long run
They just won the championship last year. They let 6 key contributors walk. Six. That means they're going for the big guns. They have an opportunity to go after established talent who are either the best at their positions or in the top 3 or 4. They can't pass that up in favor of trying to catch lightening in a bottle again. They sign DWill and D12 then keep the cast that they have right now that's guaranteed Western Conference dominance for the greater part of this decade. They beat the so called new "Big Three" in last years Finals with one superstar and a strong cast of supporting players. They get two more and it's over. Payroll might be crippled but so what, as long as you're paying reliable guys who give you what you need you'll be aiight. 

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

They just won the championship last year. They let 6 key contributors walk. Six. That means they're going for the big guns. They have an opportunity to go after established talent who are either the best at their positions or in the top 3 or 4. They can't pass that up in favor of trying to catch lightening in a bottle again. They sign DWill and D12 then keep the cast that they have right now that's guaranteed Western Conference dominance for the greater part of this decade. They beat the so called new "Big Three" in last years Finals with one superstar and a strong cast of supporting players. They get two more and it's over. Payroll might be crippled but so what, as long as you're paying reliable guys who give you what you need you'll be aiight. 
well put, im just playing devils advocate

thats my point, they have won a championship, and lots and lots of playoff games with much much less production. and idk why NT thinks Chris Kaman is a bum or something, hes a been a quality center for awhile. Not to mention, its hard to have 3 players (who would be DWill, Dirk, and Dwight, considering Kidd might be gone) would want to be the leader of the team
Winning playoff games only matters when you have no rings to show for it. They do and they'd like that to continue so it's best that they go with the guaranteed option. Sign premier players and you're guaranteed to be in the Finals again. The lightening in a bottle strategy they won with last year can't guarantee you anything in the long run and neither can signing Chris Kaman. Dwight + Deron + Dirk is guaranteed buckets, all day. How do you even guard two 7 footers who can score at will? Who can take on that task and succeed? Plus an elite point guard? Aww man...
30t6p3b.gif

And you won't have to worry about that leader BS. That's all media and fan speculation. Most of today's NBA ballers are basically nice guys who don't want those problems. You've got a few selfish players in the mix who I don't have to name but we all know that those three guys aren't any of them. 

Are you saying the Lakers, Nets, or Mavs would settle for Kaman instead of pursuing Dwight? If you're not saying that I don't see how either of them being on the trading block would effect the other's chances landing on a team they want to be on.

You can't build around Kaman... You can build around Dwight. Dwight is one of those centers that you put him with another star player & he'll help lead you in the playoffs. With Kaman, you need a lot of other pieces around him & even then he's not gonna have that star factor, just more of a role player factor in a good system. It all depends on the team & their situation with who they'd go after, but he's not gonna hurt Dwight's chances.

Will Chris Kaman hurt Dwight's trade options?

roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

So is the NBA going to sell the Hornets this time or block every buyer who wants to move them again?
Where would any owner move them where they'd get a significant increase in ticket sales? (excluding a comeback to Seattle and keep in mind they can't go to Vegas) Another team in Cali? 3rd team in NY? 4th team in Texas?

Not saying they have to stay in NO but I'm not sure if there'll be another situation like OKC out there.

They had a Seattle buyer but Stern cblocked that. KC has the Sprint Center. Stern has dreams of putting a team outside of the country. People think it would be a travel ang logistical nightmare, but I don't think it has to be. The London SillyNannies can just take 1 long 41 game road trip, then have an extended home stand. When teams go out to play there once a season, have them play twice in that time span or whatever it takes to exhaust their requirement for games against. Schedule it the same way the league did when the Nets and Raptors played 2 games over there last yr.

You leave Sat, arrive Sun, play on like Thu, then again Mon, then head back stateside where your next game is like Fri.

They had a Seattle buyer but Stern cblocked that. KC has the Sprint Center. Stern has dreams of putting a team outside of the country. People think it would be a travel ang logistical nightmare, but I don't think it has to be. The London SillyNannies can just take 1 long 41 game road trip, then have an extended home stand. When teams go out to play there once a season, have them play twice in that time span or whatever it takes to exhaust their requirement for games against. Schedule it the same way the league did when the Nets and Raptors played 2 games over there last yr.

You leave Sat, arrive Sun, play on like Thu, then again Mon, then head back stateside where your next game is like Fri.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Seriously, that's just too wild. Think what a nightmare it'd be if that team makes the playoffs.

An out of the states team would be much better if it's the Mexico DrugRunners.

p1.stern.jpg

It's Stern's vision though. He already has NBA offices all over the world, in China, in Africa, in South America; what they do there I have no idea. Acrtual quotes from Stern on the topic from a 2010 interview so 10 yrs = 2020. Stern envisions not one team but 5 there so now your Europe division road trip is looking like an entire month.

"It's a wonderful topic, because 10 years ago, I said, 'Oh, it's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years,' And now what I'm saying is, 'It's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years.' But in terms of globalization, we're going to see a desire for franchises in Europe -- and in about 10 years, you'll send me a postcard."

"I think we'll have a division and I think the Heat will play in Boston one night and then they'll go to Paris and spend a couple days on the Champs-Elysses shopping and relaxing. And then they'll go and play five teams. And when they finish that, they'll play them again. Then they'll come home, having had a nice trip to Europe and they'll be finished with their European obligations."

We're dying for a team up here in seattle hopefully Ballmer can pull something off I know the issue being ran into mainly is finding the funding & land for a new arena. Hopefully we get some nba hoops soon though I know I'm tired of driving to portland to watch games 
tired.gif

as for kaman, i think he's definitely underrated of course he's not dwight but he's good for damn near a double-double a night and he's not going to kill payroll for whoever acquires him, hell i'd welcome him back to LA with open arms...

p1.stern.jpg

It's Stern's vision though. He already has NBA offices all over the world, in China, in Africa, in South America; what they do there I have no idea. Acrtual quotes from Stern on the topic from a 2010 interview so 10 yrs = 2020. Stern envisions not one team but 5 there so now your Europe division road trip is looking like an entire month.

"It's a wonderful topic, because 10 years ago, I said, 'Oh, it's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years,' And now what I'm saying is, 'It's inevitable, it'll happen in 10 years.' But in terms of globalization, we're going to see a desire for franchises in Europe -- and in about 10 years, you'll send me a postcard."

"I think we'll have a division and I think the Heat will play in Boston one night and then they'll go to Paris and spend a couple days on the Champs-Elysses shopping and relaxing. And then they'll go and play five teams. And when they finish that, they'll play them again. Then they'll come home, having had a nice trip to Europe and they'll be finished with their European obligations."

That'd be pretty interesting to see that develop.
Stuffy and yuppie as hell, but interesting.
The game times would be
sick.gif
though.
Players wouldn't be right for weeks after they got back.

Since it's going to be a almost month long trip anyways, (1 day flight, 7 days acclamation, 10 games (5 teams each playing twice) with game every other day= 28), then when you return you probably give them another 5 days to a week off before their next game after their projected stateside touch down. I'm excited at the prospect of it, assuming it really happens. Of course, how you conduct the playoffs becomes a problem. Do you take the European Division team with the best record and just give them the 8th seed in the East? Have the Europe division play their own playoffs (1 game probably) then crown a European division champion? Then what? Maybe we get an "North American" NBA champion the normal way, and then they play the European division champion for the ultimate World Championship trophy. The travel in a 2-2-1-1-1 would be unGodly so does "home" for the Madrid Itsnotracistbecausewehavenodiversityheres, might just have to be a neutral location if and when they face a domestic team. If it ever happens, I'm sure there are people a lot smarter than me who get tons of money to figure it out. I think it would be good for a lot of these guys to go overseas and get a look at another culture. Let them take a few guests and family members too.

Back
Top Bottom