Why isn't the hook shot used anymore?

Cause kids overall lack skills cause of how amature basketball in this country is setup, its all about athleticism and they ignore the development of actual fundamentals. Its why so many of the Euro players are considered more skilled.

It should be used so much more... When perfected its almost impossible to block.

30t6p3b.gif
at how the defense would have to go against that.

Sky hooks aren't used anymore because they take a lot of skill. But there are a lot of unstoppable moves, the sky hook isn't the end all be all.

I obviously have no way to prove this, but I doubt Kareem's hook would be as effective in today's game with the way that teams double down and scheme around the post.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

hard to perfect IMO
this.

i seriously doubt a lot of players had it in their arsenal even when Kareem was tossing those bad boys up. its a tough shot to make

It's not sexy enough to a lot of people.  It's an unblockable shot if perfected. The ol' school dudes be havin a .653 FG% at my school.

Hook shot or sky-hook? I still see guys use the hook shot effectively. But, really, even then..a jump hook is just about as effective and much easier with footwork and practice.

Kareem's sky-hook is damn near impossible to be comfortable enough to use as a go-to move.

There's a dude in college that does a good jump hook. Can't remember who, but he was really effective with it and if he keeps working on it, will be real hard to stop.

Skyhook? Blake Griffin throws it out there now and then. Aldridge too. Regular hook? I see every big man do that one. skyhook is probably weird for guys because it's more like throwing a baseball than shooting a basketball

I use a baby hook when a play..

But as for the rest of basketball playing world it is many different things... 1. It looks ugly.. 2. No one teaches the little things.. 3. It is difficult to get all the moving parts of a Kareem like hook to be automatic..

Originally Posted by zxc123

yao was the last to do it nice
Ha had a nice one too.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

There's a dude in college that does a good jump hook. Can't remember who, but he was really effective with it and if he keeps working on it, will be real hard to stop.

In recent history, Chris Lang from UNC (year ago) had a vicious hook shot.

Better athletes on defense. Zone defense. Its ugly. Todays big men can do more on offense.

But overall it's just ugly. Yeah its effective but so what? A bank shot has a higher FG% but no one uses it because its not sexy.

***shrugs shoulders *** because all the skilled 7 footers want to shoot threes/jumpers nowadays instead of bang in the paint ***shrugs shoulders***

Back
Top Bottom