Why does age matter?

I always see old sneakerheads talk bad about young kids coppin Air Jordans nowadays, It was always confusing to me. Why does age even matter or why do some people think that you have to be from the late 80's to be a fan or have the title "Sneakerhead".

Me personally, I think thats corny, you shouldn't have to be a certain age to like kicks or want to collect them & not every young dude that likes jordans are a hypebeast either just some, don't stereotype.

Last edited:
Age doesn't matter but it's clear that collecting means something different to older heads compared to newer guys.

You'll see alot of the "og's" or older heads collect because it reminds them of a time in their youth and they appreciate the meaning and history of certain kicks.

The newer generation appear to be in it because it's the "in thing".

The bottom line, is if you love what you're doing no matter the reason, keep doing your thing.

i started in 2006 and i just buy them cuz they are beautiful shoes and i love the 90's so they remind me of that time

Age doesn't matter but it's clear that collecting means something different to older heads compared to newer guys.

You'll see alot of the "og's" or older heads collect because it reminds them of a time in their youth and they appreciate the meaning and history of certain kicks.

The bottom line, is if you love what you're doing no matter the reason, keep doing your thing.
Well said. I couldnt care less if the younger guys buy Jordans. The sneakers mean something totally different to us.

not every young dude that likes jordans are a hypebeast either just some, don't stereotype.

That right there sums it up for a young collector ... some are just copping because of hype and have no knowledge of the shoe's and then there are some young people who are different yet were all stereotyped as a hypebeast who know nothing or are too young to understand it's significance

Because oldheads are missing the part of their brain that is used to think critically. Also they have refused to take their meds despite their old age because they are in denial. Their futile attempts to dis the younger generation in favor of their malfunctioning brain midlife crisis generation are pitiful. However it seems to make sense to them because they are not the brightest bulbs in the box.

True story. Oldheads on this site get pissed off that a 14 year old kid they saw at their local mall did not know that jerseys used to be made by Nike. They called him a little ****head hypebeast. As you can see the oldheads are not worth the time it would take to tell them to get off their high horse. In fact by their "logic" anyone under 27 is automatically a hypebeast (part of the reason that word is meaningless is how overused it is, especially by oldheads)

instead of feeding these oldhead trolls, it is best to ignore them. Then they will not know what to do when no one gives them the attention they so desperately seek.

Last edited:
I actually saw Mike play from 94-98, 01-03. But there's a thing called YouTube that allows kids to see things of your past generations. I don't look down at the newer gen like most do, but applaud them for continuing MJs sneaker legacy. If they didn't have an interest in Jordan's there wouldn't be Jordan's for nobody in the future.

Because oldheads are missing the part of their brain that is used to think critically. Also they have refused to take their meds despite their old age because they are in denial. Their futile attempts to dis the younger generation in favor of their malfunctioning brain midlife crisis generation are pitiful. However it seems to make sense to them because they are not the brightest bulbs in the box.
True story. Oldheads on this site get pissed off that a 14 year old kid they saw at their local mall did not know that jerseys used to be made by Nike. They called him a little ****head hypebeast. As you can see the oldheads are not worth the time it would take to tell them to get off their high horse. In fact by their "logic" anyone under 27 is automatically a hypebeast (part of the reason that word is meaningless is how overused it is, especially by oldheads)
instead of feeding these oldhead trolls, it is best to ignore them. Then they will not know what to do when no one gives them the attention they so desperately seek.
You do more *****ing on this forum then all the older guys combined. Deal with it.

You do more *****ing on this forum then all the older guys combined. Deal with it.
My post had nothing to do with *****ing, it had to do with the lack of intellect the oldheads use to criticize the newer generation.

Deal with what? Hopefully not your lack of reading comprehension

Last edited:
some younger dudes are way too preoccupied with what the older cats think of them

in line for jordans, a young dude felt antagonistic & said he didn't like my air trainers
i told him i couldn't care less...& his head looked like it was gonna explode
why wouldn't i care? he thought, he could not understand

but that's ok i told him

I'm part of that group of sneakerheads that were born in the mid to late 80's ( i was born 87'). Not old school but not new school. Most of us were able to watch jordan play in his later years, though i personally never liked the bulls. Most sneakerheads from my age group didn't get into jays till we were in 7th-8th grade. That usually ranges from 1997-2000. My generation started getting into jordans when nike 1st started releasing retros in 1999 (1994 aside).

I don't think kids in my age group hate the younger cats. What we hate is the state of the sneaker game right now. You see, we're not used to camping for every jordan. We're no used to paying 100+ over retail for a shoe that just released, we're not used to phone lines and websites crashing. You younger guys are used to it, so you have no problem camping for a pair of general release jordans and paying over retail for a pair of jays. it makes it very difficult for us to compete with you guys. Prior to about 2007, one just needed to get to the mall an hour before they opened to guarantee oneself a pair. Now, if you're not their 2 days before release "you aint copping".

Last edited:
I actually saw Mike play from 94-98, 01-03. But there's a thing called YouTube that allows kids to see things of your past generations. I don't look down at the newer gen like most do, but applaud them for continuing MJs sneaker legacy. If they didn't have an interest in Jordan's there wouldn't be Jordan's for nobody in the future.
Well said.  People need to stop being so preoccupied with what others are doing.  Although I've watched Jordan for as long as I can remember and I was obsessed with him as a kid, I didn't understand what I was witnessing in the late 80s/early 90s.  It wasn't until I hit my teen years and was able to look back upon it.  Watching that 2nd 3 peat when I actually began to grasp what I was witnessing made it all the sweeter.

Live and let live.  The world would be a lot better if people were more preoccupied with their own lives instead of what others choose to do with theirs.  At the end of the day...they're just shoes.
some younger dudes are way too preoccupied with what the older cats think of them

in line for jordans, a young dude felt antagonistic & said he didn't like my air trainers
i told him i couldn't care less...& his head looked like it was gonna explode
why wouldn't i care? he thought, he could not understand

but that's ok i told him
laugh.gif

That kinda stuff cracks me up.  That's how most teens are as a whole though.  Most of us were once at that point looking for acceptance and looking to fit in.

Age doesn't matter for me....but knowledge does. I cringe everytime I see a kid post "they OG Jordans because of the Nike Air"

Saw another comment on some dude wearing 99 5s and the comment was : "pretty amazing that those shoes held up for over 20 years"

9 out of 10 times, when a comment is made like these, it's from kids that are new to collecting Nikes and Jordans.

Last edited:

Dude, do you keep getting disrespected by older people in your life? Seems like you have a personal vendetta for anyone that's older than u....older than u on NT at least.

Time catches up with everyone, you'll get there eventually.

Last edited:
Dude, do you keep getting disrespected by older people in your life? Seems like you have a personal vendetta for anyone that's older than u....older than u on NT at least.
Time catches up with everyone, you'll get there eventually.
No I don't have a vendetta against older people. AirThompson for instant doesnt blab the gibberish that I have heard from other older members of NT. Also a few others I can't remember their name are not that way too. When I am older I won't give a flying **** what the kids wear, I will not pull a bunch of pathetic arguments out my *** as to why others shouldnt wear what they want. So what does time have to do with this? But watch how a bunch of 40 year olds will skip this response and go straight to attacking me without replying to what I said or quoting me and either clearly not reading the post or having the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader...... only to further illustrate my point.

Last edited:

Couldn't have said it better.

I was born in '87 & the first pair of Jordan's I can remember having were the IV's. MJ was always my all time favorite player & I was fortunate enough for my parents to get me every pair that dropped since (except the IX's & X's because my pop & I weren't too crazy about them). I cop for pure nostalgia, but I wouldn't call myself an OG & damn sure not a new collector.

I wouldn't say all of the new "sneakerheads" are hypebeasts, but a vast majority of them are & only cop because it's the cool thing to do.

None of you are doing yourselves any favors by labeling yourselves sneaker heads either.

You don't hear of art collectors calling themselves Picasso heads, or cigar aficionados  cigar heads

The term is infantile, then not deserving of respect. If you enjoy shoes, then do so. But by putting yourselves inside that box, it leaves you targeted, vulnerable to the bullcrap that your favorite brand seems to subject all of you to. Poor quality, high prices, and manipulative schemes in order to keep you interested.

You wanna keep up with your fellow sneakerheads and that so called community. You want to have what those who are called the influencers of your hobby have, and your favorite company knows it.

Here is why age matters, but not in the context of the OP's question. Age matters, but only when it comes to maturity. You can be fifteen, then be sharp as hell, having a whole bunch beneath the cap. If someone rolls up on you then asks about what you are rockin', if your response is simply I like the shoes, then cool, nobody can argue with that. If someone wants to take the discussion further, screw'em.

You are not the one with the problem.

Another topic that has solid evidence on both sides.

My opinion on the subject is that age doesn't matter, REASON does.

If you buy at 16 because you understand the meaning behind the shoes and know the history, power to you.

If you are 23 and buying because "its all the rage" and want people to "think highly of you" because you rock Jordans, then quit.

Purpose over everything.

The whole "sneakerhead" term has been taken way out of context and people stretch what it means to be one.

Don't label me a sneakerhead, label me a person who likes the shoes and appreciates them.

Smh @ the people (male/female) who are buying because of the hype.

Bottom line, don't let another person bring you down because of what you like.

I learned this all to well on this site, and now when someone who doesn't even know me, says something negative towards me, I ignore.

Don't feed the flames, extinguish them.

That is all.

I also wouldn't limit the whole hypebeast and new school vs old school thing to age. There are many people who are my age and older who just started buying jays about 2-3 years ago, who are camping out for every release, and buying b-grades 6 months in advanced.

Another topic that has solid evidence on both sides.

My opinion on the subject is that age doesn't matter, REASON does.

If you buy at 16 because you understand the meaning behind the shoes and know the history, power to you.

If you are 23 and buying because "its all the rage" and want people to "think highly of you" because you rock Jordans, then quit.

Purpose over everything.

The whole "sneakerhead" term has been taken way out of context and people stretch what it means to be one.

Don't label me a sneakerhead, label me a person who likes the shoes and appreciates them.

Smh @ the people (male/female) who are buying because of the hype.

Bottom line, don't let another person bring you down because of what you like.

I learned this all to well on this site, and now when someone who doesn't even know me, says something negative towards me, I ignore.

Don't feed the flames, extinguish them.

That is all.
Bingo.  If it doesn't bother me that some family/friends don't understand my love and attachment to the shoes, why the F should a complete stranger's opinion matter?

Age wise, I qualify as an "OG" but my shoe collecting may be considered "young hypebeast", so I've been both pleased and frustrated by both.

I was born in '81 and like many of my peers, grew up IDOLIZING Mike. I would go to my public library and ask for the 2-3 month old Sports Illustrated mags that were going to be thrown out, just so I could cut out pictures of anything MJ or bulls related and put it on my wall. However, my family couldn't afford Jordans all the time, so the only pair I ever had were the OG 9s. I wore them for 7th grade hoops and ended up making the AAU all star team that year. I didn't stop admiring the shoes from afar, but my family and I had other financial priorities.

Fast forward to '08-'09: I had been working for 5 years now after college, had bought my first home and proposed to my now wife. I had a close friend who was trying to finally get me into shoes - had me camping with him for Space Jams and Yeezy 1s that year. But I still didn't feel financially comfortable at the time (salary $65+K) vs. my other obligations. I finally got into indulging in 2010-2011 after buying my 2nd home and my salary hit six figures.

I personally buy the shoes that remind me of my childhood, but I accept some of those are also now popular with younger generations. I actually enjoy that because I don't really mind the "exclusivity" of my shoes. You can count me in the audience of wishing JB/Nike would release more shoes and lower the price, even if it meant using less premium materials. I'd rather see that 12 year old me excited about having the shoe than worrying about the type of leather/nubuck/suede used - see KD IVs for example.

I've definitely been put off by "OGs" who dump salt on all excitement for any new releases. They'll then brag if their "connect came through" or grumble that they didn't want them anyways, followed by posting an OG version of said shoe. The younger group is understandably much more hungry and energized by shoes (notice I didn't say "thirst" or "hype"). Again, I can understand that feeling back in my day when I was clipping magazines for my wall. However, I've also been offended by younger kids because they can also have a holier than thou attitude BUT it comes with less knowledge. Example: 2 weeks ago at the mall, a teenager wearing Cav 4s was giving me weird looks, tapped his friend on the shoulder, pointed at me and asked out loud "what are those?!" in a very condescending tone followed by giggling. I was wearing Green Bean Vs, but I guess they didn't like or know the of the shoe.

I know this doesn't necessarily solve any of our problems or take a side, but I appreciate this forum for letting me share.

MJ was a great player with or without any flashy shoes on his feet, but the Air Jordan line was given prominence once us "oldheads" not only accepted the sneakers but praised them too...

So it's befuddling to me that some of these newer "sneakerheads" talk with so much disdain and hypocrisy about the older sneakerheads who have to a large degree, "grown up" with these shoes. I'm not going to knock someone much younger than me for liking some Jordans, but I do feel that most older heads feel "disconnected" from the newer generation because alot of them have no true respect or appreciation for the culture in general...

I didn't grow up rich, and can remember when I only got one pair of Nike's or Jordans per school year. If you got a pair of Jordans back then, you were straight for the rest of the year, and you valued and cherished your sneakers. They became a part of your history because they were what was going on "now"...

I got my first pair of Jordans in 92, and got Bordeaux's and Hare's, and those were the ONLY Jordans I owned in my childhood growing up. They were not just another pair of shoes to me, like it is now, when JB releases a new sneaker every 2 weeks for the masses to camp out for. I appreciated those shoes, they didn't just sit up in my closet collecting dust, or were on the market to resell like it has become popular to do so today...

Some of these young guys don't even know what shoe they're buying while they stand in line, come up with ridiculous nicknames, and hype up every low quality retro just because it has a Jumpman on it. It's sickening to me, but as long as there is a certain respect for the older collectors, I'm not mad at these kids.~

Back
Top Bottom