Why are the unemployment figures not getting more press?

It's disgusting how many people are unemployed in this country. I've seen numbers as high as 15% according to some scholars and researchers, far above the 9ish number the gov't puts out. I'm not going to waste time posting articles as we all know the reports that were released last week. What will be done about this? Companies can simply horde cash at the top while cutting jobs in the process, case in point Heinz Co. posting a strong 1st quarter and turning around cutting 1000 jobs. I've seen some articles that unemployment right now is worse than the GREAT DEPRESSION.

It's disgusting how many people are unemployed in this country. I've seen numbers as high as 15% according to some scholars and researchers, far above the 9ish number the gov't puts out. I'm not going to waste time posting articles as we all know the reports that were released last week. What will be done about this? Companies can simply horde cash at the top while cutting jobs in the process, case in point Heinz Co. posting a strong 1st quarter and turning around cutting 1000 jobs. I've seen some articles that unemployment right now is worse than the GREAT DEPRESSION.

I hear about it all the time...trying to find a job right now is f'ing hard.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

It's getting less press than Casey Anthony. I'm getting reminded of Patrick Kennedy's rant "we're talking about Eric Massa, 24/7 on the TV"

It's getting less press than Casey Anthony. I'm getting reminded of Patrick Kennedy's rant "we're talking about Eric Massa, 24/7 on the TV"

i think about this all the time finnns

i know ppl who BEEN looking for a job, some with degrees some with out.........its really crazy out here.

somebody posted in a thread not long ago the current figures for each state..........

im really wonderin what shape were gonna be in 1-2 years.

i think about this all the time finnns

i know ppl who BEEN looking for a job, some with degrees some with out.........its really crazy out here.

somebody posted in a thread not long ago the current figures for each state..........

im really wonderin what shape were gonna be in 1-2 years.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Feed the media with soap opera stuff that doesn't really matter to the masses, watch them eat it up and be distracted from what is really important. Not saying that anyone losing their life isn't important, but it being a national story? Come on. People in the hood get kidnapped and put in trunks and driven into rivers many times per year. Don't see that on the news.

But you are right, it is sad that it doesn't get more press and we are lied to, and the folks on top continue to eat great. But that is how things are set up man.

Feed the media with soap opera stuff that doesn't really matter to the masses, watch them eat it up and be distracted from what is really important. Not saying that anyone losing their life isn't important, but it being a national story? Come on. People in the hood get kidnapped and put in trunks and driven into rivers many times per year. Don't see that on the news.

But you are right, it is sad that it doesn't get more press and we are lied to, and the folks on top continue to eat great. But that is how things are set up man.

the real figures are between 15 and 20% 

if it wasn't for all the distractions we could potentially see protests akin to what's going on in spain and greece right now.

And thats the answer to why it's not getting any press. 

the real figures are between 15 and 20% 

if it wasn't for all the distractions we could potentially see protests akin to what's going on in spain and greece right now.

And thats the answer to why it's not getting any press. 

its bad but thats wrong.   the great depression reached 25%  unemployment. like i said the 9% number is bad but no where near that 25%.

its bad but thats wrong.   the great depression reached 25%  unemployment. like i said the 9% number is bad but no where near that 25%.

Pacify the masses with "news" so that they don't start thinking for themselves about what's going on with unemployment and everything else that's going wrong in the world. I recall this is what some people were calling "The Matrix" or how Plato was discussing the cave.

Question is... how do you get through to the masses if the main way to do it (mass media) is controlled? Many separate grassroots efforts? Perhaps shotgun emails in this age of interconnectedness through the internet? Another major question would be: does the public really want to know and have this in their social consciousness? It may be for the greater good to have them know or not know.

Ah, I'll momentarily stop with the "crazy" thoughts, as some call them.

Pacify the masses with "news" so that they don't start thinking for themselves about what's going on with unemployment and everything else that's going wrong in the world. I recall this is what some people were calling "The Matrix" or how Plato was discussing the cave.

Question is... how do you get through to the masses if the main way to do it (mass media) is controlled? Many separate grassroots efforts? Perhaps shotgun emails in this age of interconnectedness through the internet? Another major question would be: does the public really want to know and have this in their social consciousness? It may be for the greater good to have them know or not know.

Ah, I'll momentarily stop with the "crazy" thoughts, as some call them.

depends what you watch, turn on CNBC, FOX BUSINESS or BLOOMBERG, they talk all about it, understand the demo that other new channels are catering to, dont get mad because it doesnt fit your opinion of important news. (I agree with you 100% though)

Also EVERYONE knows its bad, its not an ongoing story, how many times are they supposed to tell us unemployment is high? its not some mystery my dude

depends what you watch, turn on CNBC, FOX BUSINESS or BLOOMBERG, they talk all about it, understand the demo that other new channels are catering to, dont get mad because it doesnt fit your opinion of important news. (I agree with you 100% though)

Also EVERYONE knows its bad, its not an ongoing story, how many times are they supposed to tell us unemployment is high? its not some mystery my dude

Labor force in the US is 153 million people. I think in a realistic sense if there are even jobs to have an average of one full time worker, and one part time worker in every marriage, then the economy is in pretty good shape. Having two full time working people, extrapolated for the whole country's population seems to be an unrealistic expectation of the labor market. The economy is just fine, it is people expectations and their desire to be capitalistic, or live beyond their means that needs adjusting. I think a little 'scare' is good for the country as a whole. It forces people to take a look at the ridiculous extravagance they tend to take for granted. An average American probably expects that in their household they will have a laptop, 3 iphones, 1 or 2 flatscreen tv's, 2 or 3 cars, individual rooms for each person, etc etc. It is what we expect as our normal standard of living. In most other countries, people happily live with 4 or 5 people in a relatively small sized apartment. They learn to share their resources, be energy efficient, and in general lead a life of of living within their means. Not knocking the American lifestyle, just saying that we grow up with a mindset and mentality that sometimes even our amazingly efficient and large economy can't sustain.

Labor force in the US is 153 million people. I think in a realistic sense if there are even jobs to have an average of one full time worker, and one part time worker in every marriage, then the economy is in pretty good shape. Having two full time working people, extrapolated for the whole country's population seems to be an unrealistic expectation of the labor market. The economy is just fine, it is people expectations and their desire to be capitalistic, or live beyond their means that needs adjusting. I think a little 'scare' is good for the country as a whole. It forces people to take a look at the ridiculous extravagance they tend to take for granted. An average American probably expects that in their household they will have a laptop, 3 iphones, 1 or 2 flatscreen tv's, 2 or 3 cars, individual rooms for each person, etc etc. It is what we expect as our normal standard of living. In most other countries, people happily live with 4 or 5 people in a relatively small sized apartment. They learn to share their resources, be energy efficient, and in general lead a life of of living within their means. Not knocking the American lifestyle, just saying that we grow up with a mindset and mentality that sometimes even our amazingly efficient and large economy can't sustain.

Originally Posted by Weekz

Incorrect, back then they counted gov't workers as unemployed.

For people saying "how many times are they supposed to tell us?" you are the same shills that they love. There "should" be probing, questioning, extreme coverage of this problem. But don't let that get in the way of your Jersey Shore episodes and XBOX. So to say "it's not a mystery", is it a mystery that some chick killed her kid to get out of being responsible and a parent? Do we need 24/7 coverage of that? The press of the United States is not covering the most IMPORTANT issue, once again.

Back
Top Bottom