Who else will admit to buying a pair out of hype??

I know no one wants to admit to ever being a hypebeast but if you have over 50 pairs of shoes you've most likely bought a pair you dont love. I'll admit to buying some of the cdp's for one of the shoes (6/19) the carmine 6s. Also, i bought the all star 23's because they were number 23 and i hoped this would be the second most limited colorway. Recently i've been selling a bunch of pairs because i'd rather love every pair i own...
Anyone else brave enough to admit to the hype??

i have but not jordan shoes i bought numbered Jordans because i wanted them

though the hype got me on a few non numbered jordans thats where a HOH exclusive  NOW i would never buy the melo HOH shoes for example that where just released

that would be for the hype

but a few other nikes and a few other brands i would fool myself and say collecting but it was hype

I've bought Jays cause they were super cheap but NEVER out of hype tho.

I can't see buying out of hype cause if I don't like the shoe I wont wear it

I dont resell so what's the point??

buying the 6/19 cdp for the carmines is not out of hype.. the carmines are 1 of my grails and i considered coppin the pack 4 em
but no, i dont buy shoes i dont like

I let hype determine WHEN I got a pair sometimes, for example the Entourage lebrons/All Star Jordan 2011/Sprite lebrons I bought for retail but I first considered them to be a down the line/discount purchase. The hype attached made me get them at retail as soon as I had the opportunity.
Buying a pair you don't really want is crazy to me, but I can see the appeal to do it.

The closest I've actual been to something like that would be the 06 All Star AF1 QS, I wanted them but it wasn't a MUST HAVE. My friends were all over them though and that pushed me to the buy side instead of passing but I was still interested.

no never. I have struck a girl for being too hyped about a jordan release though.

its the hype that sometimes makes me unable to cop some pairs that id like to have... not the other way around
30t6p3b.gif
thats why i hate hypebeasts with a vengeance!
mad.gif

Was thinking about it the other day, I think there is a difference from a buying out of hype and a hypebeast. Let me explain.

I take the term "buying out of hype" that say you know your shoes and you buddys are all talking about it and you actually know the shoe and get caught in the hype itself and make the purchase anyway. Like you view towards the shoe now makes it a must cop. I don't think there anything wrong with this really. People like to be apart of things and get involved. Would I buy a shoe I didn't like?, Nah. Now a hypebeast to me is a person who has no clue about anything until someone tells them or they see something online about the current hype and goes nuts.

I work with a prime example of a hypebeast and he don't know anything until someone says something about a release thats dropping. I know I might have worded it wrong but thats what I feel.

I have never bought a shoe I couldn't see myself wearing. Some hype has changed my view on some shoes but like I said I would never buy something I didn't love and see myself wearing.

you know the minute you know about a release/see pics if you would cop. not that it is a quickstrike... so unless you were undecided and the fact that you kept see it being talked about and then decided to buy, then hype played a part. but i always think about picking up pairs for cheap that are pretty nice but i have no room in the collection, I try to stay around a certain number of sneakers at all times with a slow growth rate. hoping one day that day will come when i say i'm done.

back in 10th grade. Bought the 3 flips. then resold within 1 month lol (realized how ugly they actually are.)

I fell for tht fusion frenzy... Funny story, I tried to give them to my nephew for free and he declines with no problem lol

i have... the DB 1's i bought just out of hype and only rocked once... i also bought shoes i liked and noone else did and later regreted (like the Orange peel AJF5's)

I always buy what I like, but will admit to paying way over retail for limited releases from re-sellers. Especially on the DB III's and YOTR's.......and I did jump on the "Banned" wagon and copped two pairs but I didn't have any pairs of one's.

Originally Posted by MartyMcFresh

I fell for tht fusion frenzy... Funny story, I tried to give them to my nephew for free and he declines with no problem lol

laugh.gif
the exact same thing happened to me. I literally couldn't give those things away.
30t6p3b.gif
@ myself

I've always bought what I like..I've had more regrets of NOT copping than copping so now even if its a maybe I usually go out there and buy the sneaker & if I feel I can live without it then I'll flip,a most recent release were the wolf Greta.thought they'd grow on me,but never did.

Jordan 7 Bordeaux. I'm not feeling it at all, but i bought it to trade with someone who wasn't able to pick one up.

Didn't fall for the hype persay, but settled on a 11.5 in 2010 Space Jams when I could've used an 11 or even 10.5, just because I thought there would be no chance of finding them again for a good price.

Paid way too much for a pair of '09 Eggplant Foams, before the 2010 rerelease was known.

No strictly hype related purchases though, just a handful I regret, such as white/stealth 23s for retail.

I think the only thing I bought out of hype was the peapod 8s, but I still thought they were a decent shoe. But they were limited and when i saw people with them on the 1st day they released I got em. The hype online for these was crazy too.

I don't think the VI's came with the XIX's...

I never had money to waste like that, if it didn't have a reason to be in my rotation, I didn't need it.

I have bbought due to hype a few times. I would list the CDP 6/17 pack as one of my hype purchases. Didnt like either shoe at first. Was disappointed with the Carmines when I saw them in person (Purchased online) but shoe grew on me and is one of my favorites now. I also bought the 11/12 CDP due to the hype behind it as well as both spacejams and cool grey 11's (To me 11's are the most over hyped shoe. When these originally came out nobody liked these that I knew. Were considered ugly.) 

Originally Posted by j4ck

back in 10th grade. Bought the 3 flips. then resold within 1 month lol (realized how ugly they actually are.)
your AVY
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I dont buy out of hype. skipped on Cool greys because unlike everybody else I saw behind the hype and saw the bad mold. (never really liked the CW, much less the '10)

now everybody I know that bought them regrets it.

Ive never bought strictly based on hype. Hype kills me inside. I cant stand people who know nothing about the shoes they are waiting hours in line for. I hate to say it... but my girl is a total beast
tired.gif
. Even worse, shes converted all her friends and even her brother into beasts; and already started getting them over-hyped for the concord release. It bothers me because I feel like to them its only a bragging right and even if they truly do like the way the shoe looks there is still little to no appreciation for the man himself, design, and history behind it.

Back
Top Bottom