Where my technicians, mechanics, plumbers at? Vol. Manual Labor Workers

I don't know about you guys but I never wasn't into books, essays, and the rest of the #+%%#%%% school brings. I learn with my hands and seeing things being done. Two years ago I graduated from highschool and afterwards went to tech school for auto mechanics, didn't no much compare to some people there and the school was terrible so I decided to drop out. After all, I wasted year 08-10 working at dead end jobs and had to start making power moves. I finally went to another tech school which was incredibly cheaper and closer than the first one, and enrolled in the HVAC program. I'm actually learning some *@%* and satisfied in the course. I graduate in january, so I'm just tryna stay focused on getting my certifications.If you didn't know what HVAC was: heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning. You probably thinking this job won't get me a mansion on the hill with 2 enzos outside but HVAC actually touches every aspect of engineering, and that's where the papers at. Now NT, what is it you do, how much do you make, what do you like/hate about your job?And to all the office workers, doctors, pharmecists, lawyers, etc. you may drop your posts as well since your jealous.

The main thing I want to get into is diesel mechanics and later alternative fuel/renewable energy as it pertains to cars, trucks, and mass transit. There's only one Diesel program down here and it seems a bit iffy so I may just say screw it and enroll in gm's auto mechanic program.

Originally Posted by the north west

so basically you will be working for the people who graduate with engineering degrees
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

The main thing I want to get into is diesel mechanics and later alternative fuel/renewable energy as it pertains to cars, trucks, and mass transit. There's only one Diesel program down here and it seems a bit iffy so I may just say screw it and enroll in gm's auto mechanic program.

bcc has one right?

Im no trained mechanic but I learned a lot in the forums and swapped a engine into my car.

nicoclub
pimp.gif

Im in an HVAC program at the moment also. Pretty good school with credible teachers overall I am learning a good amount of basics and other technical information about HVAC just to get my foot in the door and have more knowledge than the guy who hasn't gone to school for it. This trade seems very interesting, HVAC not only does a/c's and heaters but also electrical and some plumbing. I graduate in August and im 20 years old.. if I can find the right job I'm sure ill be set..

im 20 as well i graduate in january, and my dad tells me he can get me a job in his office building as long as i get my certifications.

I went to Lincoln Tech in Columbia, MD I graduated from their EST (Electronic Service Technician) program when i was 20. I 24 now I work for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (METRO). I am electronic mechanic. I fix and service subway trains. I love my job. Its real good job, great benefits, a union job, and good pay. I can make anywhere between 60k-80k depending on overtime. I might not be a millionaire. But its a stable job where i can retire at...... HVAC is a good profession keep up with it. Get all your certs. Not only will get a good job it can also open up the possibility of you starting your own HVAC company.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

so basically you will be working for the people who graduate with engineering degrees
laugh.gif
The statement is sadly true. Even engineering interns tell techs what to do.

Is that a life really worth bragging about? Engineering interns 19-21 years old telling you to build/test something while they go on a 2 hour lunch breaks?

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

laugh.gif

Is that a life really worth bragging about? Engineering interns 19-21 years old telling you to build/test something while they go on a 2 hour lunch breaks?
i aint braggin dude, all that is true, but i gotta start from somewhere.. and sorry i dont qualify your needs

laugh.gif

i aint braggin dude, all that is true, but i gotta start from somewhere.. and sorry i dont qualify your needs

Originally Posted by FlyGuy86

I went to Lincoln Tech in Columbia, MD I graduated from their EST (Electronic Service Technician) program when i was 20. I 24 now I work for the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (METRO). I am electronic mechanic. I fix and service subway trains. I love my job. Its real good job, great benefits, a union job, and good pay. I can make anywhere between 60k-80k depending on overtime. I might not be a millionaire. But its a stable job where i can retire at...... HVAC is a good profession keep up with it. Get all your certs. Not only will get a good job it can also open up the possibility of you starting your own HVAC company.

Do jobs like that require experience?

Originally Posted by JerseyH8R

laugh.gif

As much as those dudes like to brag about engineering degrees and what college they went to, don't listen to them. Alot of technicians actually enjoy their job and lifestyle, regardless of what the rest might assume..

Live your life papi

electrical engineer ---
Median-Salary-by-DegreeMajor-Subject---Job-Electrical-Engineer-United-States_H_R_USD_20100602055001-v2.0.jpg

electrical engineering technician

but the first cat in this economy aint seeing 80k til after 5-10 years. OP isnt losing that bad.

Median-Salary-by-State-or-Province---Job-Electrical--Electronic-Engineering-Technician-United-States_H_R_USD_20100609084632-v2.0.jpg

probably only 5-10 k less in real world but half schooling time and less debt . he aint losing that bad.

civil tech aint looking so bad.
laugh.gif

I graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree and I took a job in the Maritime Industry as a Field Service Engineer. Pretty much the same as a Technician but I get paid more. I troubleshoot the systems my companies sells to the different vessels and fix any problems that may arise. I can make anywhere from 70k - 100k depending on the work load. The Maritime Industry is where its at I am pretty sure it is the highest paid industry as a Technician due to the added things you can receive like rig pay.

Back
Top Bottom