What is a good starting salary directly out of college?

Say 4 years, a top tier/Ivy League school, with a major in either Business, Engineering (Computer, software or aerospace) or Architecture? I'm interested in all of these fields but I'm not sure completely, so I'm trying to narrow them down by which ones are financially solid right out of college.

The averages coming right out I'm seeing are:

-Business: $41k
-Computer engineering: $61k
-Software engineering $57k
-Aerospace engineering $59 - average mid-career $108k
eek.gif

-Architecture $42

Which one of these are solid?

Say 4 years, a top tier/Ivy League school, with a major in either Business, Engineering (Computer, software or aerospace) or Architecture? I'm interested in all of these fields but I'm not sure completely, so I'm trying to narrow them down by which ones are financially solid right out of college.

The averages coming right out I'm seeing are:

-Business: $41k
-Computer engineering: $61k
-Software engineering $57k
-Aerospace engineering $59 - average mid-career $108k
eek.gif

-Architecture $42

Which one of these are solid?

Engineering, of course. Top flight engineering students will always get jobs with good pay. But please don't base your career path on money differential.

Engineering, of course. Top flight engineering students will always get jobs with good pay. But please don't base your career path on money differential.

I got a job in IT making 57k right out of college...but you gotta do what you like to do otherwise its gonna be a long career

I got a job in IT making 57k right out of college...but you gotta do what you like to do otherwise its gonna be a long career

I read that petroleum engineering paid the most out of college, but that was like 6 months old.
McCombs school of Business says their Finance majors average 55k to start.

um, are you already in this said "top tier/ivy league" school? if not, i would just say focus on that first.

um, are you already in this said "top tier/ivy league" school? if not, i would just say focus on that first.

I read that petroleum engineering paid the most out of college, but that was like 6 months old.

Out of the 5 career paths you posted OP i was surprised at the salary. I make nearly as much as 3 of the 5 at the moment with no college education.

Go with what you love doing.

Out of the 5 career paths you posted OP i was surprised at the salary. I make nearly as much as 3 of the 5 at the moment with no college education.

Choose your job straight out of college based on whatever gives you the opportunity to learn as much as you possibly can and develop skills that you can apply to any job going forward. The minute you stop learning new things on the job is the minute you limit your own possibilities.

Choose your job straight out of college based on whatever gives you the opportunity to learn as much as you possibly can and develop skills that you can apply to any job going forward. The minute you stop learning new things on the job is the minute you limit your own possibilities.

Originally Posted by MALCALA622

did you make that much right out of school, or after years on the job?

Originally Posted by MALCALA622

did you make that much right out of school, or after years on the job?

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

+1:  take what you're interested in.  making 100k but hating every minute of it is no way to live.  plus, you'll only make that money if you're good at what you're doing.
@MAL

how many years did it take for you to get to that salary level?

Disregard the starting salary for now, and try the classes(if you're not in college, worry about getting in college first).. before you delve head first into one of these fields. Because it makes no sense, to go head into the fields, when you haven't even tested it. Add to that, you may figure out: you're not suited for one of those fields(meaning you don't tolerate it or you're not good at it). In short, try out the classes before declaring a major for one of those or saying you're going to do it.

Disregard the starting salary for now, and try the classes(if you're not in college, worry about getting in college first).. before you delve head first into one of these fields. Because it makes no sense, to go head into the fields, when you haven't even tested it. Add to that, you may figure out: you're not suited for one of those fields(meaning you don't tolerate it or you're not good at it). In short, try out the classes before declaring a major for one of those or saying you're going to do it.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

+1:  take what you're interested in.  making 100k but hating every minute of it is no way to live.  plus, you'll only make that money if you're good at what you're doing.
@MAL

how many years did it take for you to get to that salary level?

Originally Posted by solelistikn1ke1ne

I'm not, but I'm just trying out various scenarios. I might not even want to major in any of these paths, but these are the ones I'm interested in at the moment.
Originally Posted by E3LAL

It does. Petroleum engineering pays a dirty amount of money coming out, near 100k.

Back
Top Bottom