What do you guys think of this? Experts say if Michael Jordan were to be playing today...

He would be scoring 50+ points per game. Mainly due to the change in rules from yesterday's era to today's era.

Discuss.

Didnt watch the vid but Nope. Hell he could have probably done it back in the day but that's not the way you win in the L and he wouldnt have taken that many shots to do it.  I love these studies though
laugh.gif
  Ya the rules have been altered somewhat but this ain't comparing 1890's to 2000's.... this is only a decade+ since Mike retired, the game is still close to the same, adjustments are also made.....no guard is going to average 50 per game.

I didnt watch the video....but heres what I dont understand. With the zone defense outlawed during Jordan's prime, people were forced to guard him one on one.....which obviously 99% couldnt do. So why now, with much different legal defensive schemes, would one think that Jordan would do even better?

I'm not saying he couldnt do it. Im just dont really get the argument.

Originally Posted by ilpadrino9

Whoever says the league isn't physical anymore didn't watch Game 7 of the Finals...
One of the best defensive games i've ever seen. Reminded me of the Bulls vs Knicks in the early 90's
pimp.gif

Not 50....but more than the 28 that Kobe is avg, and definitely a higher shooting %. Real defense was played in game 7 and we saw how Kobe did. MJ played against that kind of defense every night.

All of this data is based on the statements made "If there was no hand checking and no rough play". Not sure what games you all are watching but I see plenty of hand checking and rough play. "The rules" are simply not being followed.

One other thing to note: Jordan got the benefit of A LOT of calls similar to if not more than D Wade and Lebron.

Kobe does not get the benefit of those calls, it could be because he complains almost every play the ball doesn't go in, it could be the refs just don't like him, frankly it doesn't matter the reason. The point is he doesn't get the "Jordan rules"

I watched Jordan and loved to watch him play, still believe that he is the best to ever play the game but not by a lot like some Jordan fanatics.

Another thing is I hate to hear the "If" arguments, they mean nothing and are really pointless because all are based on opinion and could never be proved no matter how many 10 minute YouTube videos you post on the subject.

Originally Posted by Jonnny25

Not 50....but more than the 28 that Kobe is avg, and definitely a higher shooting %. Real defense was played in game 7 and we saw how Kobe did. MJ played against that kind of defense every night.

I agree with everything you said, although most will think you're just a 'hater', and everything people say to defend Kobe is a 'stan'... but oh well, on the real though, Kobe said himself that it was his fault because he fell into the hype and started going out of control. We all saw that. And in his defense, I feel he was trying to do to much in the biggest game of his life and like he said, he fell into the hype. We are all victims to it.

Though I think Jordan would average above 30 with a slight better shooting %, now I say slight because as a player's perspective, zone defense really does cause you to take stupid shots. I played against street D and organized zone D... and playing against teams that played zone was constantly always my worst games.

If Jordan averaged 35-37 ppg earlier in his career and he has a career average of shooting 50% from teh field, I'm sure he could get that plus more in the NBA today.

So, 50 may be a reach, but anywhere between 40-45 I can see.

Its really a pointless argument because we will never know anyways.

Originally Posted by ilpadrino9

Whoever says the league isn't physical anymore didn't watch Game 7 of the Finals...
I wish teams were allowed to play like that during the season and in the early rounds of the playoffs

Lol @ MJ averaging 10 more points a game than everyone else in this era. C'mon due would average at most 32 points per game.

wouldn't this all depend on who MJs teammates are?

if he was on the same Bulls team, he'd average around 30ppg.
on the Lakers, around 30ppg still.
on the Cavs, 32-33ppg.
on a team like the 06 Lakers, around 35-37ppg.

but 50 points per game or even 40?
roll.gif

Of course he would. Teams aint !!@! now a days. He'd be on that Wilt Chamberlin !!@!

He'd probably break Oscar Roberton's averaging a triple double by doing it for multiple seasons.

Back
Top Bottom