Video: Self-Taught Teen Prodigy From Sierra Leone Wows MIT Engineers

hqdefault86.jpg

Check out this real life MacGyver in  the latest installment of the THNKR’s Prodigies YouTube series highlights Sierra Leone teen Kelvin Doe, who is visiting the U.S. as a guest of MIT.

The 15-year-old is a self-taught engineer, who has never taken an engineering or electronics class. Combining scrap metal, baking soda and acid, he created a battery to power his family’s home. He also broadcasts news and music as DJ Focus on the radio, using an RF transmitter he created.

Kelvin is the youngest invitee ever to MIT’s Visiting Practitioner’s Program for international development– and watching THNKR’s look into his trip you’ll understand why. The teen scours trash bins for spare parts, which he uses to build batteries, generators and transmitters.

MIT doctoral student and fellow Sierra Leone-native David Senegh recognized Kelvin’s talents when the two met through Senegh’s non-profit Innovate Salone, which supports high school students looking to solve the country’s toughest challenges. You can support Kelvin and Innovate Salone by donating to its Crowdrise campaign.

kelvin-doe.jpg

Propz Mashable.com

Funny that these kids can build all this in a 3 world country village and we still cant get past 30mpg.

laugh.gif

Funny that these kids can build all this in a 3 world country village and we still cant get past 30mpg.

:lol:

I think this speaks more to the conveniences we think we have in our society that can at times be limitations and distractions.

You got so called "scientific people" running around thinking we don't have to improve on things because the "work". Very un- scientific imo

Last edited:
I saw this on another board. Genius.

Imagine if this kid had access to some of the advanced equipment and education available more readily in "advanced" regions.

I love to hear about these kinds of stories. Lots of brilliant kids throughout the world that just need the opportunity.

Engineering is not limited by race, color, reliouse views, freedom, wealth, recessions, depressions, and age. Engineering is everything. Engineering is limitless. Something a non engineer could never understand.

Last edited:
I saw this on another board. Genius.
Imagine if this kid had access to some of the advanced equipment and education available more readily in "advanced" regions.
I love to hear about these kinds of stories. Lots of brilliant kids throughout the world that just need the opportunity.

he probably wouldn't have seen the need to create those things if he grew up in that climate you are referring to.

Last edited:
he probably wouldn't have seen the need to create those things if he grew up in that climate you are referring to.
This. And if he continues to be supported by a community who cares, both in Sierra Leone and elsehwere, he will have access to such material resources.

But he will also be armed with something else. A profound degree of humility that acknowledges that greatness is not possible without the village.  A unique sense of ingenuity and the recognition that advanced materials in and of themselves do not necessarily lead to creation. And most importantly, a communal impulse that fuels the desire to help others and equip his peers with the knowledge to be creators in their own right. 

Back
Top Bottom