USA > Canada shipping question

I have purchased around 10 pair of shoes from the US and everytime the sender has marked the shoes at 50$ (or lower). I have never been charged custom fees. Iwas wondering if anyone had any problems with this scam?

I know its not a scam but just wanted to know if I need to worry. Also I have seen ebayers who have stated that they will not do it. So I was just wonderingwhy they would not want to do it.

This hasn't happened to me, but if your item gets lost, you only get back what you marked it for right?

So I was just wondering why they would not want to do it.
Technically it's breaking the law because you're not paying for the money that's leaving the country...but everyone breaks the law ona daily basis.

Another reason is that they're just lazy, plain and simple.

you only get back what you marked it for right?

Yes, so it's a risk that you're taking really.

I'm assuming that its a risk that most people take. Right?
Also, what do you mean they are just lazy? All they have to do is write $50 instead of the actual value.
Anyways thanks for the help.

This is for everybody who reads this...

When buying from the U.S, communicate to the seller that you do not want the item shipped through Fedex or UPS. These are courier services, not postalservices and the main difference is brokerage fee and customs taxes.

As for the question asked, sellers usually don't mark it at a lower value because:
A) They're probably a registered business and there's legal implications if they do it on the regular for every international customer that asks forthis favour
B) Insurance purposes, if it gets lost in-transit they are 100% responsible

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

it's not a scam...
I'm assuming you haven't been had by UPS yet...?

UPS is a scam, they will charge $60-70 for brokerage fee even if you pay like $20 for the actual item. And that money doesn't go to the govt. like dutyfees go, this goes straight into their hands. For, UPS acts as your "agent" to clear your items and thats where the take your money and run becausethey can charge whatever they want. Similar to when Eastbay acts as your agent and charges import fees up front usually like $45.00. For example whether youbuy $50.00 kickz or $250 kickz, eastbay will still charge a flat rate of import and brokerage fees.

You usually won't have a problem as long as they use USPS, many of them won't mark it as a low value but will mark as a gift.

That is crazy.
I guess I won't be buying shoes from sellers who use UPS.
Thanks for the heads up.

one more thing,

if you buy on eBay from sellers that has a lot of feedbacks (like 1000000), more than likely they might even have a business name.

And if on the package's 'From section' they put their business name i.e. "Jimmy's Shoes Store" instead of a person's name i.e.Jimmy Smith; even if the package is marked as Gift and value under $ 60, you will still get hit with taxes! Make sure to ask the seller to put their nameinstead of their online store's name (business name).

Back
Top Bottom