Things/Purchases Worth Splurging on ? ? ?

I was just reading this article and in NT (land of the frugal and "reasonable spending") I figure I'd ask what you consider is worth spending a few more bucks on?
7 Things Worth Splurging On
Demand for luxury goods rebounded post-recession -- and as the economy continues to heat up, more consumers are finding the cash for Louboutin pumps, first-class cabins and Michelin-starred meals. But even if you have the disposable income to pay for a designer wardrobe or gold credit card, there’s no need to sacrifice the proverbial bang for your buck. The things most worth splurging on should offer unbeatable quality, great value and a high return on investment, in addition to a visceral thrill.

We reached out to experts in a number of fields, from fashion to technology to travel, and asked them what luxuries are worth "splurging" on. While some of these items carry big-ticket prices, most will pay you back in one way or another--be it by retaining or increasing in value, or by saving you money in some manner, such as on repairs and replacements. So while others might call them extravagances, we consider them investments.

Check out our list of seven things worth splurging on.

Kitchen Renovation

The price: $19,588 (average cost of a minor kitchen remodel)

Why it's worth it: High return on investment when you sell

Few of us boast designer kitchens, but if your space is more Julia Child than Paula Deen, an upgrade might be in order. A typical homeowner recoups 72 percent of the cost of a minor kitchen remodel when the house is sold, according to Remodeling magazine’s Cost vs. Value Report. That’s better than the return on other midrange home improvements, such as basement remodels (67 percent), bathroom makeovers (62 percent) and family room additions (60 percent).

Consider replacing laminate countertops with granite. Potential buyers will expect to see this update at your open house. Other worthwhile splurges include energy-efficient appliances, which will keep you cooking for less in the long haul. A word of caution: Upscale kitchen remodels, of the Viking range and Sub-Zero fridge variety, will only earn back 57 percent of the cost at resale, so it pays to keep your renovation ambitions in check.

Apple Stock

The price: $596 (cost of a share as of March 23, 2012)

Why it's worth it: Sky-high growth expectations, plus a new dividend

A share of Apple will cost you about as much as the new iPad. But unlike a shiny new gadget, this top-performing stock won’t break down, lose its cool or crack when you drop it. Consider this: Apple's market value clocks in at more than half-a-trillion dollars, and consumers continue demanding new Apple products, such as the just-released iPad and the next-generation iPhone, due out later this year.

The stock is already up almost 50 percent in 2012, and most analysts who follow Apple predict more gains ahead. Shares aren't quite as flashy as iPads, of course, but with that kind of predicted growth, they sure make a better investment. That Apple just announced that it’ll start paying a dividend to shareholders is icing on the cake.

Nonstop Flight

The price: $361 (average domestic air fare)

Why it's worth it: Layovers cost time and money

We've all braved that dreaded layover in Houston or Detroit to save a couple of bucks over a more expensive nonstop flight. But unless you're pocketing enough spare change to spring for checked baggage or a night’s hotel stay, connecting flights often aren't worth the hassle. "The nonstop is a much better choice -- shorter flight time, plus less chance of delay, missed connections and misdirected baggage," says Ed Perkins, an editor at Smarter Travel.

Dealing with those snafus can cost you, not to mention the overpriced food, coffee and pay-by-the-hour wi-fi you'll need to while away the layover hours. Perkins also suggests upgrading to a semi-premium class, such as Jet Blue's value-priced "Even More Space" or United’s “Economy Plus.

Most people I know can barley pay their bills each month. A $5000 watch and $500 stock ain't happening for me in this lifetime.

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

I dont get it.

How is  are Foamposites not on this list?

^^^
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
. I figured someone would bring that up

I dont buy much these days besides food and gas and maybe a pair of shoes here and there. I havent bought new clothes in about 2 years and dont buy shoes as much as I used to.

I've always thought about getting a different credit card for the rewards since I'm pretty disciplined with my money.
Is there any way to find out what you can get for 25,000 points?

Currently I use 8000 CC points to get a $100 gift card to pretty much anywhere I want.

EDIT: One Hundred, not $1000. lol

Some watches can appreciate in value. Only problem is you have to spend a whole lot of money to make very little over a long time.

Originally Posted by oidreez

the average person doesnt need a $5,000 watch

No one NEEDS a 5000 dollar watch. Hell no one needs a 5 dollar watch, I don't think people buy stuff like this because they feel like they need it.

This is like a list for things rich people can splurge on....for us regular people i would say splurge on paper towels, do not buy budget paper towels they absorb nothing the extra $3 is worth it trust.

RFX, you know I've been on my watch game.

I'll just say this on that front. I'm not the type to buy a gold chain. It's just not me. I don't wear much jewelry.

So I wear a nice, stainless steel timepiece.

In my business, I think it sends an instant message to anyone I'm doing a meeting with that "this dude must be doing something right".

Call it superficial. But welcome to the world we live in.

Very few watches are going to appreciate over time. But I have a Stainless Steel Rolex Submariner. It is a discontinuesd model as the bezels are now ceramic. And the face is now slightly different on newer models.

So down the line, a collector might be willing to pay a decent amount for the watch if I resell. I don't think I'll make money, but I may be able to get back a large percentage of what I paid.

Originally Posted by illphillip

RFX, you know I've been on my watch game.

I'll just say this on that front. I'm not the type to buy a gold chain. It's just not me. I don't wear much jewelry.

So I wear a nice, stainless steel timepiece.

In my business, I think it sends an instant message to anyone I'm doing a meeting with that "this dude must be doing something right".

Call it superficial. But welcome to the world we live in.

Very few watches are going to appreciate over time. But I have a Stainless Steel Rolex Submariner. It is a discontinuesd model as the bezels are now ceramic. And the face is now slightly different on newer models.

So down the line, a collector might be willing to pay a decent amount for the watch if I resell. I don't think I'll make money, but I may be able to get back a large percentage of what I paid.

The list isn't mine and I agree. For a watch, I wouldn't recommend a Cartier, I'd recommend a Rolex for sure or Patek if you're ballin out of control. 
As for my personal list, a trip comes to mind as something worth spending a few more bucks on. Doesn't have to be first class flight or 5-star hotels but it certainly isn't something I would try and spend the least amount of money on. Just enough to enjoy the trip.

Others are dress shoes and a good quality leather jacket. These will age well and with proper care, you can probably pass down to your kids. 

Originally Posted by RFX45

As for my personal list, a trip comes to mind as something worth spending a few more bucks on. Doesn't have to be first class flight or 5-star hotels but it certainly isn't something I would try and spend the least amount of money on. Just enough to enjoy the trip.
Agree and thats what I splurge on......
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

Yeah but you also had to put out a large amount of money for the chance to MAYBE get close to what you paid back.
I dont think anyone is saying to buy a watch as an investment.  You buy a watch so you can wear it to be fashionable and/or make a statement like illphillip said.

Originally Posted by ninongjhey

I've always thought about getting a different credit card for the rewards since I'm pretty disciplined with my money.
Is there any way to find out what you can get for 25,000 points?

Currently I use 8000 CC points to get a $100 gift card to pretty much anywhere I want.

EDIT: One Hundred, not $1000. lol

you might be able to check on the website for each credit card youre interested in.  I'm currently going with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.  They offered 50,000 bonus points at signup (assuming you meet the spending requirements), and offer double points on meals and travel and stuff like that.  I went with this particular card because I planned on doing some international travel this year and this card does not have foreign exchange purchase fees.  As far as the value of the points go, I believe its 10,000 points = $100 statement credit if you just wanted to cash them out.  If you spend the points to book travel, you get 1.25x the value (so 50,000 pts = $625 towards airfare or hotel).  I run most of my bills and daily purchases through this card and then payoff the balance at month end.  Not that bad of a deal if you ask me.  I've already managed to accrue a shade over 70,000 points since mid December.  Turkey here I come!

They should've put a nice suit (for men).

When you compare ones from like RL Black Label vs. off the rack it's
sick.gif

I should have bought more shares of Apple when it was lower. Money was tight though. SMH. Oh well, still made a few g's off them.

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

Yeah but you also had to put out a large amount of money for the chance to MAYBE get close to what you paid back.

You can say that about everything you purchase. What are you going to do. Buy nothing?

I didn't buy it to make money off of it. I bought it because I liked it and to enjoy it in good health.

The fact that I can resell it, if I choose, and get a decent percentage of what I paid back, even after wearing it for several years, is just an added bonus.

And I may actually make some residual money off of it on the strength of the power it conveys to fellow business people I might be sitting across from. You'd be surprised how many people I am in meetings with that comment on it.

Sometimes if people are looking to hire an independent contractor, and it's between myself and another, presentation might give me a leg up on my comp.

I'm thinking big picture here. I didn't even buy my Rolex. My wife did. But I have several other nice watches for that reason. Money will spent in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom