The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I can't comment on W2 but Frank gave a terrible set on the webcast. It was a dress rehearsal. But I heard he $+! better weekend 2 so that's good. I'm just going off Weekend 1.

im glad i caught this dude during ovofest....don't know how i would feel seeing him perform now
like someone said earlier...and ive always thought this...there is clearly a lot of punching in going on in the studio

Just got back. I am currently editing my pics to upload to one of my sites and my colleague is finishing editing our pretty clutch video from the night. Until I post the photo gallery and video in the morning, a few thoughts: Wasn't blown away, but wasn't really disappointed. I feel like he can't do justice to the mood of the studio instrumentals during a show with a live band. He was off key on a number of songs that we had to edit out of our video to not make him look bad.
With that said, I'm still glad I checked out the show. I'm positive he'll get better and he has strong live vocals...and I'm sure the technical things will come with more experience. 

A few preview pics - will post my vid and photo gallery in the morning...

f59clf.jpg

fkbrs9.jpg

Any other NTers going to be at the DC show tonight?

I'll be wearing a gray hoody with a red Polo hat. If you see me don't forget tap tap pull so I know you're from NT.

Originally Posted by bballah3

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by bballah3

I caught both. If you think Frank Ocean was worse you obviously can't hear notes or have some blind love for the weeknd/hatred for Frank. � �I�
I saw Frank Ocean's set from start to finish and I was impressed. �The guy can flat out sing. He hit notes that 99% of male singers in the industry out there can't hit, with perfection, �and can actually carry himself when his band and sound was off (which it was for Weekend 1.)
Honestly, I think you are drunk and high, and know nothing about singing. Frank Ocean, is a solid singer, a professional singer but the concept he has some insane range or dexterity is crazy.

Cee-Lo hits notes 99% of male singers can't hit, Maxwell does that, Kells does that, but Frank Ocean b? Nahhhhh.
laugh.gif

Is this a subliminal "I love the Weeknd, you hurt my feelings" post? ��Thats you running away with what I said. � �Also is missing the point of my post, which was "Franks Set > The Weeknds set" at Coachella weekend 1. �

Frank has a very unique and soulful voice and a great falsetto, which leads to him having a range beyond most male singers in the "industry." Frank has some pipes too....not Kells status, but he can at least project his voice (unlike the Weeknd)

Please don't ever throw Cee-Lo into a conversation about singing, especially when it has nothing to do with what we are talking about. �And no, Cee-Lo can't hit the notes that 99% of male singers can't hit. �He is a great producer, but the guy is a average singer with above average 'raspy-squealing' ability. � �

But, if you want to talk about real singers - Lets talk about Bocelli, Pavarotti, or Placido Domingo. Thats the 1% of Male voices. �Female - Best voice hands down is Sarah Brightman. �You can't even argue that. �

�Enjoy the spectacle. �THIS is singing.�
...y'all $+$$!$ weird. just chill out. it ain't that serious.
laugh.gif

^^^^ I believe I mentioned that before but I don't think they do.

The real question is how is he legally able to proform the songs with samples in them?

I would love to see what type of numbers record labels are throwing at him. He is proving the point that big record labels are not needed anymore.

Originally Posted by Miniojw

Originally Posted by JD161616

Pictures from the show here.

Our video coverage:
�

Are you going to be at his Saturday show?
Not 100% sure quite yet. 

RedMan - we were discussing the legality of it last night for a little bit. Especially going off the case where Don Henley's label/team went after Frank Ocean for performing his version of "Hotel California" live.

Damn it. I was mad hyped for tonight (DC show), but seeing that video has me preparing for the worst. These @$#%@% better not be singing along like that.

Pictures from the show here.

Our video coverage:
�

Not 100% sure quite yet.�

RedMan - we were discussing the legality of it last night for a little bit. Especially going off the case where Don Henley's label/team went after Frank Ocean for performing his version of "Hotel California" live.�

Frank actually got into trouble over American Wedding? 
nerd.gif
 I've heard a lot of people sample the song though.

Originally Posted by Rick2345

Not 100% sure quite yet.�

RedMan - we were discussing the legality of it last night for a little bit. Especially going off the case where Don Henley's label/team went after Frank Ocean for performing his version of "Hotel California" live.�

Frank actually got into trouble over American Wedding? 
nerd.gif
 I've heard a lot of people sample the song though.
I could be wrong but I think it's due to the fact that he performed it at a show, thus making $ off of it (unlike a free mixtape). I'm not 100% sure though. Can anyone clarify this?

Him doing a song live that has a sample means nothing. Is it illegal? Slightly but the act sampled would have to hate Weeknd to.sue. otherwise.every band doing covers would get sued

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Him doing a song live that has a sample means nothing. Is it illegal? Slightly but the act sampled would have to hate Weeknd to.sue. otherwise.every band doing covers would get sued

But he's making money off of it from the concerts...
Sampling it on HOB (a FREE mixtape) vs sampling it during a concert are 2 different things.

Originally Posted by 703FlipFiend

Damn it. I was mad hyped for tonight (DC show), but seeing that video has me preparing for the worst. These @$#%@% better not be singing along like that.

indifferent.gif
 I'ma see him tomorrow and I hope that video doesn't do the show justice. You couldn't even hear The Weeknd, only the dumb )(## crowd. Turn his mic up please. Damn. 

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Sampling it on HOB (a FREE mixtape) vs sampling it during a concert are 2 different things.
I do't know the business of it, but I mean Wiz has done mixtape stuff that has samples from Empire of The Sun, Frou Frou, Just saw Jeezy and he did his Rack City verse. I just don't think it's against the law and if it is it's one of those that isn't enforced. I remember when Prince wanted to sue Nine Inch Nails for covering their song (I think it was NIN) but they squashed it.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

I do't know the business of it, but I mean Wiz has done mixtape stuff that has samples from Empire of The Sun, Frou Frou, Just saw Jeezy and he did his Rack City verse. I just don't think it's against the law and if it is it's one of those that isn't enforced. I remember when Prince wanted to sue Nine Inch Nails for covering their song (I think it was NIN) but they squashed it.
I'm almost positive that all of is illegal (even sampling it on a free mixtape) but for the most part, it's not really worth suing over. Frank Ocean probably got sued because the Eagles were extra salty. Usually - the person sampling doesn't make that much money and it doesn't really hurt the person that originally made the song. That's why they normally don't care about sampling on mixtapes but it doesn't make it legal. It's not something that's enforced - you need to be sued over it. 
Still, you can't just use something because its free. Free is a powerful tool. The Weeknd hasn't sold a record and his name alone is worth a ton now because of his free music. It's not all about selling records. 

LOL at dudes being mad cause people singing along.

Yall dudes is too uptight. Not going to the concert might be the best decision you make.

Originally Posted by RedMan

Damn we have my sour NTers. You act like your not going to sing along with the Weeknd.

Word up. I'm going to be singing my $$$ off come Saturday and I can't sing worth a damn
laugh.gif

Performing songs with samples and getting paid for said concert is 100% illegal, any way you cut it. Most artist don't enforce it though, because it aids in them (the people being sampled) getting bigger, gaining some needed exposure, etc. It's like a win-win for everyone, so most don't pursue it.
And from what i've seen as far as the weeknd performing live, his voice is just…soft. It isn't strong. It's very weak and soft, he can't project very well. 

Originally Posted by Regis

LOL at dudes being mad cause people singing along.

Yall dudes is too uptight. Not going to the concert might be the best decision you make.
I think you're missing the point, or people are misstating the point. People sing along at every show. But if you don't turn the singer's mic up loud enough and he gets drowned out by the sing alongs, then what's the point of seeing a live show? Either they're doing it on purpose to hide vocal flaws or dude needs to fire his sound people. 

Back
Top Bottom