The shake up of college athletics begins this week?

[h1][/h1]
[h1]College Conferences Ponder Expansion, and Their Extinction[/h1][h6]By PETE THAMEL[/h6][h6]Published: April 19, 2010[/h6]

With the 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners gathering in Scottsdale, Ariz., on Tuesday for the annual Bowl Championship Series meetings, the prospect of significant change in the collegiate conference landscape is becoming increasingly likely.

The central player is the Big Ten, which, as The Chicago Tribune reported over the weekend, has moved up its timetable for expanding. Prominent conference and university officials met on Sunday in Washington to discuss the subject.

The scope of that expansion, along with Notre Dame’s decision whether to keep its football independence, will determine just how much the landscape shifts in college sports. This comes on top of the likelihood of a 96-team N.C.A.A. basketball tournament.

For universities, the talk is driven by a never-ending search for more revenue. For fans, a new alignment could mean not only the end of some longtime rivalries but also the creation of new annual matchups, some appealing and some not.

One thing is clear this week: the subject will dominate the B.C.S. meetings.

“I don’t know what else we’d be talking about,

Cowherd just said its 100 % Uconn is going to the Big Ten...than again he said the same thing about pitt 2 months ago

Originally Posted by PauliePeppas

Cowherd just said its 100 % Uconn is going to the Big Ten...than again he said the same thing about pitt 2 months ago

No he didn't.  He said Utah to the Pac-10 was the only 100% done thing, that and that Notre Dame is definitely not going to the Big 10.  He said UConn is the best fit and most attractive Big East school for the Big 10 to go after, he didn't say it was a done deal or 100% or anything along those lines.

laugh.gif

the latest on what Ive been hearing (and what they are selling recruits ) Memphis will be in the big XII *shrugs*

WVa to the SEC along with another team...

and ND Big Ten bound.

Originally Posted by ehh

Originally Posted by PauliePeppas

No he didn't.  He said Utah to the Pac-10 was the only 100% done thing, that and that Notre Dame is definitely not going to the Big 10.  He said UConn is the best fit and most attractive Big East school for the Big 10 to go after, he didn't say it was a done deal or 100% or anything along those lines.
yea ur right...i read it wrong the uconn board, either way...these changes r gonna suck

IMO Rutgers makes the most sense for a big east team to leave for the big Ten, esp football wise.

All I know is eventually we'll see a 'catholic basketball league' and the %#*% is gona suck for TV, recruiting, etc.

Big East needs to be pro active. Start your own network, go pluck Memphis. Do something.

Colin Cowherd had a great segment about this on his show when I was driving to work. Whether, you like him or not he had great points.

Bullet points version is that the Big Ten will be after a team like UCONN and Rutgers to capture the NY market, who follow a lot of UCONN as well.

Pac - 10 he said is with 100% certainty going to add Utah and possibly Colorado. Both Utah and Denver with better markets than Idaho (Boise st.)

Originally Posted by Al3xis

All I know is eventually we'll see a 'catholic basketball league' and the %#*% is gona suck for TV, recruiting, etc.

Big East needs to be pro active. Start your own network, go pluck Memphis. Do something.

is there a market for Big East Netowrk? what are their ratings like during each season?

There is nothing the Big East can do because football rules everything in college sports.  The conference doesn't have the financial power that the Big 10 and the SEC has.  Plucking Memphis (who wouldn't bring much on the football side) would do nothing to help the conference.

As a UConn fan it worries me, though if we went to the Big 10 along with Pitt and West Virginia I think it'd be great long term.  Losing the rivalries with Syracuse and Georgetown would really blow, but there's no way we'd be able to turn down the Big 10's invitation.

And technically there is a Big East Network, it's a little subdivision of ESPN and basically just an overlay change from ESPN's regular local broadcasts.  It plays on local stations, SNY, etc.

But that TV stuff they have goin on now misses out on a lot. It's not on NESN, it's not on Comcast Sports..that's a big market they could tap into.

IDK..it just seems like they're laying down. Tranghese stepped down at the wrong time.

I'm going to feel disrespected and slapped in the face if UConn goes to the Big Ten. That *+!! doesn't even sound or feel right to me.

But that TV stuff they have goin on now misses out on a lot. It's not on NESN, it's not on Comcast Sports..that's a big market they could tap into.

IDK..it just seems like they're laying down. Tranghese stepped down at the wrong time.

No point going after NESN with BC in the ACC these days.  No one gives an eff about college basketball up there anyway, hell they didn't care even when BC was in the Big East.

Originally Posted by ehh

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif

and ND Big Ten bound.

Not happening, ND is still too full of themselves to join the Big 10.

and that 25 million dollars is a reason they will think long and hard about joining.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by ehh

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif

and ND Big Ten bound.

Not happening, ND is still too full of themselves to join the Big 10.

and that 25 million dollars is a reason they will think long and hard about joining.

The financial gains have been there in the past when ND turned down the Big 10's invitation.  

Back
Top Bottom