The Official NBA Season Thread: Derrick Rose Retires 🌹

This. Way more games. Training culture has grown. More basketball schools. More player movement.

Can’t let nostalgia get the best of us
That’s fair but I grew up in NYC and parks used to be packed all day with people playing ball, and it just isn’t that way anymore. I could believe the top kids get funneled into playing “more” but I don’t think there is the same casual, play all the time culture there once was. It’s more professionalized, driven more by AAU, professional leagues in Europe etc.

I rarely agree with the old heads but someone in here posted a clip from KG & Pierce and pierce said there was a magic to kind of the casual playground nature of youth basketball then that doesn’t exist in the same way today and I think that’s absolutely true. Even if you weren’t very good in NY growing up, you played ball anyway and there was kind of a magic to that. Everyone played and now it feels like sports in general the top athletes get funneled at a younger age toward professionalization. Maybe this is my own nostalgia but do feel this is also the result of an aging population and the rise of screen time.

steph-curry-whatever.gif

That’s fair but I grew up in NYC and parks used to be packed all day with people playing ball, and it just isn’t that way anymore. I could believe the top kids get funneled into playing “more” but I don’t think there is the same casual, play all the time culture there once was. It’s more professionalized, driven more by AAU, professional leagues in Europe etc.

I rarely agree with the old heads but someone in here posted a clip from KG & Pierce and pierce said there was a magic to kind of the casual playground nature of youth basketball then that doesn’t exist in the same way today and I think that’s absolutely true. Even if you weren’t very good in NY growing up, you played ball anyway and there was kind of a magic to that. Everyone played and now it feels like sports in general the top athletes get funneled at a younger age toward professionalization. Maybe this is my own nostalgia but do feel this is also the result of an aging population and the rise of screen time.

It’s a train all the time culture once kids hit a certain age in their development. But yeah kids still hoop but once that talent gets recognized, you gotta start locking on strengths to get you to the next level. Then the elite kids are playing pickup together.

Last edited:

I see this in some of my local neighborhoods
10 -15 years ago parks used to be packed with ball players and people who also just wanted to play ball but were not good
now its less and less, there are some parks that stay active but i certainly have noticed this as well

I see this in some of my local neighborhoods
10 -15 years ago parks used to be packed with ball players and people who also just wanted to play ball but were not good
I have a park a few blocks from my house with multiple full courts (full wood backboards, double rims) and it’s like this.

The courts are often busy but not with serious ballers.

Back
Top Bottom