T.I. "Wants Out" of the rap game, contemplating Retiring

T.I. Says He Wants "Out" Of Rap Game

ti_jpg_630x474_q85.jpg

In an interview with Power105's "The Breakfast Club," T.I. gave a rather vague but serious explanation of why rap music isn't the same as it was when he started out, and why he wants to quit.

"This is what everyone fails to realize. I want out. I want out, man," he said. "What the game is going to and what has evolved into from a personality standpoint, it goes against what I represent. What I embody, this game contradicts that. I want out. I’m in it because I love music and I have obligations, contractually."

As to what exactly prompted this response, T.I. gives some insight, though little specificity:

"It was at one time, this music was about speaking to the people who felt like you feel. Now, the people I’m speaking to, they don’t necessarily feel like how I feel. In my day, if you were rapping about something you weren’t really living, that was a strike against you. You were held accountable. Nowadays, nobody even expects you to live up to the things you rap about. That goes against what I represent, what I stand for. So if they outsell me, then that’s just all the more better for me to fade to the back and cross my legs on my desk."

At this time, T.I. is not retiring, but he's clearly left the possibility open for the future.

You can watch the interview below:

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/ti-says-he-wants-out-of-rap-game/65432/

What is Clifford even talking about?
laugh.gif
The same man that made a pop hit with rihanna is talking about accountability? Plus doesn't every street n in atlanta wanna get at that boy? I don't get it.

He's been done anyway post prison so maybe he should retire. Take that wack noise elsewhere.

Originally Posted by CJ863

What is Clifford even talking about?
laugh.gif
The same man that made a pop hit with rihanna is talking about accountability? Plus doesn't every street n in atlanta wanna get at that boy? I don't get it.
How does making a "pop hit" in any way contradict what he's saying? If in fact the words spoken on that "pop hit" are an accurate reflection of who he is as a person. 
The rest I can't speak on. Not from the ATL. 

I respect what he's saying. But I too believe his timing, with an album on the way, teasing his audience into believing it might be his last, is no coincidence. 

And we all know how "retirement" go in Rap. 

TIP is only 30 y/o so, I say gon' head and pull a Barry Sanders. He's got an extensive catalog and did a damn good job. When I heard "I'm Serious" as a yungn in 01', TIP gained a loyal fan right off the bat.

He sound like that dude who ain't get picked for the varsity squad.  
"maaaaaan, ya'll _'s wack AND the team 'bout to be gawbage anyways!" 
laugh.gif

How does making a "pop hit" in any way contradict what he's saying? If in fact the words spoken on that "pop hit" are an accurate reflection of who he is as a person. 

You can' play both sides of the field and turn around and point the finger at someone else for not "living what they rap" Tip still talking about drugs & guns and we all know what the deal is with him. It's hypocritical. 

My point was, is there anything he said in that "pop hit" that would suggest he isn't living what he raps?

Dude sold drugs and had guns. DOCUMENTED. Does he still sell drugs? Probably not. Was he into some guns a minute ago. Apparently.

So why wouldn't he be allowed to talk about it even if he doesn't now?

And if anything, the lyrics in that "pop hit" are a truer reflection of his life right now. So that doesn't really coincide with what he's talking about here.

Tip was about that life. Can't even front. Dude had enough to fight off a Ugandan army.

Originally Posted by numbah1grimey

TIP is only 30 y/o so, I say gon' head and pull a Barry Sanders. He's got an extensive catalog and did a damn good job. When I heard "I'm Serious" as a yungn in 01', TIP gained a loyal fan right off the bat.

Exactly how I feel!

BTW, Atl still loves TIP. Of course there's a few people throwing shots but that comes with the territory. I still believe TIP is one of the realest dudes out. I always laugh at people on NT who think dudes who rap about that life are always in full 100% gangsta mode at all times. There's different aspects of street life including partying, women, beef, etc. Everyone knows people like Hov, TIP, 50, etc put in work back in the day. It should go without saying that they're currently not living that life but they've been there so they have a pass to talk about it. At least that's how I feel anyways
ohwell.gif

If "Trouble Man" is dope as hell and he called it quits shortly after, I wouldn't be mad...
...career wise (length, sales, influence, controversy, quality, etc.), first ballot hall of fame.

One of two things needs to happen: a) retire after a solid album, or b) cancel that damn reality show...

...actually, unless it's about music - no rapper/rock star should be allowed to have a reality TV show.

Originally Posted by illphillip

My point was, is there anything he said in that "pop hit" that would suggest he isn't living what he raps?

Dude sold drugs and had guns. DOCUMENTED. Does he still sell drugs? Probably not. Was he into some guns a minute ago. Apparently.

And if anything, the lyrics in that "pop hit" are a truer reflection of his life right now. So that doesn't really coincide with what he's talking about here.

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Originally Posted by illphillip

Been thuggin' all my life...

...can't say I don't deserve to take a break.

Back
Top Bottom