Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

photo(21).jpg

Kinda ironic since Whitlock is usually one of the first guys to *%+$@ about racism when given the opportunity. 

It's not just Whitlock tho....signs at MSG about the "yellow mamba" (which ESPN kept the camera on for a while), Asians driving, MSG, etc etc....folks think they're being clever or funny, but this just perfectly captures the wishy/washy nature of our society where we cry foul for certain things, but let others pass. 

I remember the outrage this summer when Wayne Simmonds had a banana thrown at him while on the ice (he's one of the few black players in the league) or when other minorities/folks of a different religious background face ignorant taunts/signs from the fans in soccer matches overseas  Why is Lin-mania any different? 

Because the majority of people are supporting Jeremy Lin, not belittling him. Those signs were being held up by Asian people.

Dumb move by a national writer like Whitlock but....

I haven't seen anything else really that offensive.  First off the majority of people with the gimmick signs and stuff are Asian.  So they are just supporting the guy who is one of their own.

2nd, lets not act like this isn't typical behavior when a person is having success and different than his peers.  Tiger Woods heard all the jokes too.  From whites and blacks.  Danica Patrick hears the jokes too.  Is it right? When it is done in good taste I don't see a problem with it. 

I wouldn't be mad at Asians supporting a fellow asian while being clever with their OWN culture.  Who am I to judge that?

ESPN sports announcers that were black had jokes for days for Tiger.  Same with the Williams sisters in Tennis.  If you are different people will react.  Hell the same with Obama man.  He gets all these rap parody videos on WSHH and what not.  He's our president and everybody does comedy skits and impressions of him "acting black".  Same stuff.  If you are different than your peers it comes with the territory.  

Its good and bad.  If Lin was black the story wouldn't be as big.  So he benefits from the fandom.  Dude had more fans that Steph Curry in Golden State. 

Originally Posted by Antidope

Because the majority of people are supporting Jeremy Lin, not belittling him. Those signs were being held up by Asian people.
This. A lot of the signs, posters (or what have you) that I saw, were being displayed by Asian folks. In which case, I didn't object.. Thought it was cool to see Asians turning negatives into positives. Never even heard of this Whitlock dude, but his post is corny. 
happy.gif

Man so what if they are supporting him. JJ is right, racial jokes are cool now. Like you see Melo bowing to dude while on the bench? I know, I know, team camaraderie but it is still ethnically motivated. Whitlock is out of line. He knows that.

You dudes bugging.
Personally I find the signs funny.

But some of you dudes are the first ones crying foul when any stereotype is enforced towards black people.

It isn't about whether it is funny or not. The question is if they are appropriate.

And yes I would cry foul if it were against me or my people.

You can clearly tell the intent/ connotation. Although it's technically racism, at least it's light hearted and meant to be supportive instead of spiteful.

Some people get a little to sensitive when race comes into play. There'd a time to get defensive and call up minority affairs, but this isn't it.

NooEra wrote:
Eh its all in good fun in this case. Who the *%+! cares?

Racism is EVERYWHERE and ITS NOT GOING AWAY in our lifetimes. The sooner ya'll realize that the better.

White folks, asian folks, black folks, people of middle eastern decent and so on and so forth; they're all racist.

Im sorry to all those who are easily offended by what some buffon has to say about your race. It will NEVER be that serious.
----------------------------------------------------

It's not even worth worrying or thinking about.
That's the thing, who does really care? No outcry about anything from this tweet yet, but if a white man, or another columnist said something about a black athlete being a gorilla, monkey, cotton picker the out cry would be insane.

It's not that serious, until it happens to black people.

*shrugs* I didn't really care much about the tweet, but it came from Whitlock who is all about no racism and defending the minorities, etc.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Man so what if they are supporting him. JJ is right, racial jokes are cool now. Like you see Melo bowing to dude while on the bench? I know, I know, team camaraderie but it is still ethnically motivated. Whitlock is out of line. He knows that.
dog this was really a big deal to you?  Have you ever been in any close comraderie with other guys before? played any sort of organized sports?  I know being in the Marines that black, mexican, white, asian jokes are the regular...once in awhile the line gets crossed and that person gets checked.  But when you work with guys everyday and are that close then its all love and its all jokes

Originally Posted by sole searchin

That's the thing, who does really care? No outcry about anything from this tweet yet, but if a white man, or another columnist said something about a black athlete being a gorilla, monkey, cotton picker the out cry would be insane.

*shrugs* I didn't really care much about the tweet, but it came from Whitlock who is all about no racism and defending the minorities, etc.
Blame your forefathers for making it that way, not us. 
happy.gif

You all are funny. So as long as the perceived intent isn't malicious it is cool?

So if I were to go to Austrailia and win all types of academic awards and when I am honored people throw out Watermelon flavored Sour Patch kids ? Or boxes of chicken broth? It shouldn't be noted that it is out of line because I am being "celebrated."

I understand....

Originally Posted by solarius49

dog this was really a big deal to you?  Have you ever been in any close comraderie with other guys before? played any sort of organized sports?  I know being in the Marines that black, mexican, white, asian jokes are the regular...once in awhile the line gets crossed and that person gets checked.  But when you work with guys everyday and are that close then its all love and its all jokes

Then I guess we shouldn't get so hyper-sensitive when the N word is thrown around so freely by blacks and non-blacks, right?  Assuming it's all love and jokes. 

yeah but Yellow Mamba sounds COOL!

I'd want my friends to call me the Yellow Mamba if it somehow came up organically

Originally Posted by sole searchin

NooEra wrote:
Eh its all in good fun in this case. Who the *%+! cares?

Racism is EVERYWHERE and ITS NOT GOING AWAY in our lifetimes. The sooner ya'll realize that the better.

White folks, asian folks, black folks, people of middle eastern decent and so on and so forth; they're all racist.

Im sorry to all those who are easily offended by what some buffon has to say about your race. It will NEVER be that serious.
----------------------------------------------------

Whitlock is more about chastising minorities than defending them. He switched his gimmick up after he left ESPN. He calls black people more jigaboos, baby mama's, welfare mom's, and other typically offensive %$%# than any other writer.

End of the day, his fat %#% can't even see his **** unless he's standing on a mirror so who cares?

It isn't about whether it is funny or not. The question is if they are appropriate.

And yes I would cry foul if it were against me or my people.

And you should take offense when it's against your people but looking at this thread it seems like some dudes are trying to have it both ways.

Originally Posted by solarius49

Who said it was a big deal? We are simply having a conversation.
Yes I have played organized sports and seen/heard things that would be out of line in a normal setting. But that doesn't mean I should feel it is right/harmless.

I just don't play those race games. I don't care if everyone does it. I don't get down like that. It is out of line.

And I mentioned that it will be written off as something the boys do but outside of that it is still foul.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by Antidope

This. A lot of the signs, posters (or what have you) that I saw, were being displayed by Asian folks. In which case, I didn't object.. Thought it was cool to see Asians turning negatives into positives. Never even heard of this Whitlock dude, but his post is corny. 
happy.gif
Exactly. See the "N Word".  That dude was out of line and he should know that.

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

So is most of this disdain aimed at the asian community since they're mostly the ones holding up the signs?
I don't like black people calling each other the N-Word either so the same rules apply here.
I think I am also bothered by Lin's old BlackPlanet account being named ChinkBaller or something along those lines. SMH.

Back
Top Bottom