Should the NFL have games on the NFL network

i was arguing with someone in the bar about this last night, because he felt if it wasnt for congress stepping in he would have missed the pats and giantsgame. I feel the NFL owns the league and the network they should be able to broadcast what they want.

Discuss

if this is in the wrong forum please move

The only reason the NFL placed games on NFLN was to help increase their odds in negotiations with the cable companies, and that was their right. They figuredfans would scramble and flood cable phone lines and demand NFLN. Well two years later they are seeing that this strategy didn't exactly work and the demandisnt as high as the NFL was banking on. Let's face it....this country loves football but we arent exactly begging for a network that provides basicallyfiller programming 300 days a year. So here we are stuck with the NFL demanding too much money for what the cable companies want to pay. We'll go throughthis whole process again next year I'm sure.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

The only reason the NFL placed games on NFLN was to help increase their odds in negotiations with the cable companies, and that was their right. They figured fans would scramble and flood cable phone lines and demand NFLN. Well two years later they are seeing that this strategy didn't exactly work and the demand isnt as high as the NFL was banking on. Let's face it....this country loves football but we arent exactly begging for a network that provides basically filler programming 300 days a year. So here we are stuck with the NFL demanding too much money for what the cable companies want to pay. We'll go through this whole process again next year I'm sure.

Exactly. They expected the fans to get mad at cable companies. Instead, it was the other way around. Also, I don't like the idea of the NFL coveringit's own games and news.

The only reason the NFL placed games on NFLN was to help increase their odds in negotiations with the cable companies, and that was their right. They figured fans would scramble and flood cable phone lines and demand NFLN. Well two years later they are seeing that this strategy didn't exactly work and the demand isnt as high as the NFL was banking on. Let's face it....this country loves football but we arent exactly begging for a network that provides basically filler programming 300 days a year. So here we are stuck with the NFL demanding too much money for what the cable companies want to pay. We'll go through this whole process again next year I'm sure.

the NFL wants their Network included as a free option like TBS or TNT or any other network, but TimeWarner and such want it as a premium add on channel.they are both in the wrong IMO.

If the GOLF CHANNEL is offered for free, put the NFL Network on.
on the flip side, u have to pay for the Tennis Channel.

either way, work it out. find a damn way.
The only leverage the NFL had was the Pats/Giants game and they ccaved in
laugh.gif
smh.gif
Pansies

*%# the 5 9 wrote:
I feel the NFL owns the league and the network they should be able to broadcast what they want.

The NFL does own the league. They can do whatever they want with it. I think they should broadcast games on NFL Network. I would alter games a littlebit.

First, I would make sure that every team has at least one game broadcast on the NFL Network. Second, I would change the "NFL Replay" show toexclude all the commentary and play by play and just use the sounds from the game. This move would upset their broadcasters, but the games without play byplay and commentary are just awesome to watch.

I do...

Originally Posted by chikickz

Gumble should have acting commitments on "Gumble to Gumble: Beach Justice".

mhmm....mhmmm...mmm....mhhhhmm...mm......mmm....

Before I got NFL Network, local channels would always carry games if it were with local teams (i.e. 49ers)...

but now that i have it, of course they should
laugh.gif
, but i'd understand why they wouldn't want it if someone didn't have it...
same with NBATV...now that i have it i don't mind games on there...

Speakin of this topic,

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_y...cZdDubYF?slug=ap-sportsontv&prov=ap&type=lgns

[h1]
[/h1] [h1]NFL chief says cable companies discriminate[/h1]
By JOHN DUNBAR, Associated Press Writer 3 hours, 39 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP)-Cable television operators discriminate against the NFL even though professional football is the nation's most popular spectator sport,the league's commissioner told lawmakers Wednesday.

The league-owned NFL Network airs eight regular-season games each year. But they are not widely available to viewers because of a dispute between the leagueand the country's two biggest cable companies, Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said the companies "enjoy a high level of bottleneck power" and treat the NFL Network in a "sharply different andclearly less favorable" way when compared with networks they own a stake in.

Goodell asked members on the House Energy and Commerce's telecommunications subcommittee to pressure the Federal Communications Commission to enforce alaw that bars discrimination against unaffiliated networks.

But Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Calif., said Goodell's claims of discrimination were "a little hard to swallow" considering the league's ownantitrust exemption. She said the dispute is really about money.

Glenn Britt, president and chief executive of Time Warner Cable, said the NFL's position was "especially disingenuous" considering theleague's exclusive arrangement with DirecTV Inc. to air the "NFL Sunday Ticket" package of out-of-market games.

The trend of exclusivity has grown recently, said Democratic Rep. Ed Markey of Massachusetts, the subcommittee chairman and a Boston Red Sox fan. He noted that baseball's "Extra Innings"package was scheduled at first to air exclusively on DirecTV but ultimately was made available on cable systems.

The FCC has a process for resolving disputes between cable operators and programmers. But owners of independent networks have said the process is not usedenough and is ineffective.

At the heart of the NFL Network dispute is the league's preference that the network be carried on basic cable levels. Time Warner has refused to carrythe NFL Network channel unless the channel is part of a higher-priced package. Comcast carries the channel on a premium level.

As a result, fans are caught in the middle, said Consumer Federation of America research director Mark Cooper.

"The current system, where the cable operators and dominant sport programmers force consumers to pay ever-increasing prices for a restricted set ofchoices, is the worst possible for the consumers," he said.

Cooper said a simple solution would give people the option of paying only for the channels they want. Such an "a la carte" concept is stronglyopposed by programmers and system operators.

Cooper said the solution is to allow consumers to buy programming on a stand-alone basis, a proposal opposed by both programmers and system operators.

Britt warned against government intervention. He said negotiations "may be messy at times" but are best resolved in the marketplace.

It's just like with the Big10 network same exact thing. To me if your a sports fan why not get a premium service like DirecTV I switched 2 years ago and Ilove it. Having the sports package I can even see a lot of college bball games and football games from all over the country.

I don't have NFL Network so naturally I'm against it. And from the few times I have caught a game on NFL Network, I could not stand Bryant Gumbel'scommentary. He was saying stuff like, "Tom Coughlin thinks Brett Favre is their best offensive weapon"
roll.gif
smh.gif

Congress gives the NFL an antitrust exemption so they have every right to see what's going on. Trust me when I say that the antitrust exemption the NFLreceives is a very big deal.

Gunna that article is spot on and shows how a guy can see how the NFL is acting. They have been *****ing for 3 yrs about how cable operators are in the wrongand won't let everyone be able to view NFLN, yet the NFL themselves will not make NFL Ticket available to everyone. But it's the cable companies whoare "discriminating" against NFL fans? Suuuuure.

It's almost comical how NFL has handled this entire situation actually, and the reasoning they use to justify their claims. I'm actually glad cable hascontinued to hold out and showing the NFL that they cannot simply stomp on EVERY single thing they want.....to put even more money in 32 owners' pockets.

They really ought to keep it free, as long as the NFL makes as much money as they do. I think they should start regularly scheduling games on Fridays andSaturdays though, to spread out the goodness of the sport we call football.

I think if you make it so the NFL can't broadcast their own product, then other leagues/orgs should have to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom