Should I Hoop For My College?

I'm 22 turning 23 this month, Junior/Senior, and the school i'm transferring to (University of Houston Downtown) has a Club team that travels and plays small colleges and Community college teams in the state. I was just wondering if I was to old or i should move past that part of my life, played first two years of high school, but stayed in and out of trouble so I was never able to play on a varsity team, I really wanna be an HS coach or an assistant. Anyway season starts in January for the Spring Semester and I'm wondering should I start this diet and workout regime to be prepared by then only ask you guys cause I have no one to talk to about this without sounding lame. Additional info I'm 6'3 220

I joined the swim club at my old school because there was no official NCAA swim team. Did it for about a year, it was pretty fun. Met lots of people and competed against big schools along the Northeast region. Only drawback is that it may be time consuming with practices and traveling, and it may be coming out of your own pocket in certain situations.

If you want to be involved in high school sports, try out and see what happens. And if you don't make the team but still want to be involved, become a team manager.

i don't think you're too old.  it sounds like something you'd enjoy and there doesn't seem to be much to lose by doing it

I say go for it.

Why not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, cant you still get a sports scholarship if you already go to the school and make the team?

Depends if it hinders your school work or other goals. But keeping in shape and broadening your social circle is never a bad idea.

Wish i could join my school team
im not that good :\

You should if you are able to join and can handle the extra responsibility

You might not be eligible. Not sure what the rules are for club teams, but (IIRC) for actual teams, your eligibility clock starts the second you are enrolled full time.

Last edited:
If you have enough time to then it's worth doing. You're definitely not too old, your 20s are when you're in your physical prime so why waste it? If anything this will make up for those last two years of high school when you weren't able to play varsity. 

Not saying that you won't make the team, but if you don't then you can always try and be a manager since it sounds like you enjoy coaching and being a part of a team. 

If you do decide to try out for the club team make sure you get a jump on that diet and workout regime, it's good that you've already started thinking ahead. Best of luck OP.

Last edited:
Why not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, cant you still get a sports scholarship if you already go to the school and make the team?

You can, but the likelihood of that happening is very low. Most major schools already know which prospective players they're going to approach with scholarship offers by the time they're a junior in HS. Most programs are going to want to save that scholarship money for incoming students.

Just be mindful that it's a different kind of commitment than it was in high school, and as others have said, it will be a lot more demanding of your time. Judging from the outside, I say go for it. If anything, it'll keep you sharp, mentally and physically, depending on your work ethic. It can even open more doors for you on/off-court.

Just be mindful that it's a different kind of commitment than it was in high school, and as others have said, it will be a lot more demanding of your time. Judging from the outside, I say go for it. If anything, it'll keep you sharp, mentally and physically, depending on your work ethic. It can even open more doors for you on/off-court.

What are the actual commitments of being on the team? How often will you practice?

Why do you think this will help improve your chances of coaching in HS? Is there someone on the team that has connections? From what I've seen, most coaches either know someone or are a teacher at the school they teach at. Keep in mind too if you want to be a coach, the time commitment vs. compensation is minimal. You'll have to show of for practice around the year and only make around $2000 (unless you're an assistant, then you might not even get paid).

you don't have anything to lose.

i live in sugar land if you ever want to get these buckets.

I'd say go for it. I played my Sophomore year of College and it was a lot of fun. My only regret is that my heart was more into trapping than balling at the time

i don't think you're too old.  it sounds like something you'd enjoy and there doesn't seem to be much to lose by doing it
I say go for it.

age doesnt matter, i rememebr there was a 27 year old playing for some utah college. i remember seeing it in my slam agazine years ago.

all depends when you start college.

there is no age limit from what i know unless its changed

I say go for it. Don't want to regret it. Plus, you said you want to be a coach down the road.

You might not be eligible. Not sure what the rules are for club teams, but (IIRC) for actual teams, your eligibility clock starts the second you are enrolled full time.

It's starts when you are actually on a team/roster and go to school full time. And for 1 sport only. Meaning if you run out of eligibility for one sport, and your good enough you can do another

It's starts when you are actually on a team/roster and go to school full time. And for 1 sport only. Meaning if you run out of eligibility for one sport, and your good enough you can do another
Nah, you're definitely wrong.

Do it.

I only played one year in high school (actually i just kinda sat on the bench) but being part of that team atmosphere was one of the best experiences. I'm really disappointed that I didn't put the work ethic into improving (at the same time I didn't really know how except shoot around more), and also all the politics with no teachers wanting to coach or whatever.

I wish I could go back in time and put in more work at the gym. That also goes for alot of other aspects of life, but thats life.

Back
Top Bottom