Shopping while black Vol. Multi-tasking??

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

It's not just shopping while black though. Store employees not only profile minorities but also other categories of people as well. The most profiled group of people are probably youth because they are perceived as being troublemakers who do not have money to spend anyways. Employees are also guilty of profiling customers based on the clothes they wear and this applies to everyone regardless of race.
This

Hey_

It was hard for me to watch that, gave me a damn flashback.

The actor playing the victim said some true stuff at the end too.

"I've got to be conscious about how I'm dressed before I go shoppin'."

Oh, and I believe security cannot frisk you, they can only detain you until the cops arrive to do that.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

The sittin' idly by as this occurred is what truly hurts my heart.

...!%$#! That video drudged up that #!@#%!' memory!

Julius F. Wrek

Remind me of when I went to a jewelry store. I was dressed decently and wanted to see something (a his and hers Tag link).

me: can I see the his and hers Tag link
lady: sure
me: thanks. it's nice
lady: do you have money to pay for this?
me: I wouldn't look at it if I didnt
indifferent.gif

I wanted to smack her 60 year old !$@. I just left the store right away.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Remind me of when I went to a jewelry store. I was dressed decently and wanted to see something (a his and hers Tag link).

indifferent.gif

I've been asked that too
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Put em up

Im a very chill dude, but if that +@+% there ever happen to me. I swear I would act a fool in that store.
You do realize that would be pretty much proving said negative point, right?

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
no worries I used to get alot of this when I visited highend stores. When they ask you that, thats when you have to bring out the stacks. But once you become a regular at high end stores I promise you the shoppingexperience is great. They will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable while shopping no matter your race or age. Champage or perrier water uponarrival.
pimp.gif

Man I had a friend (we were lesser friends since graduating high school however) who was killed in one of those, "Oh I thought he had a gun, he didn'thave a gun, oh well," "accidents," and similar to the video, the whole encounter was initiated from a traffic stop. And now his son will grow upknowing a member of the same people who he's supposed to believe exist to protect him, killed his dad; it wasn't a rival gang, not cholesterol, notcancer, not aids, it was a policeman. And equally as egregious is all the fallout that happens afterward. For one, they get 2-4wks administrative leave whichis basically paid vacation time, all the while the department does an obviously biased investigation which is overwhelmingly more often than not going to findin favor of their own.

Even in the video, which was from 96 by the way, the cop tries to say all the right things and look like he's above all of this, but then goes on to say,"cops don't apologize for doing their jobs," and when pressed on the illegal search only answers, "it's borderline," and even triesto bait and switch then topic when he's shown 224 out of 260 (86%), including 4 officers, don't signal at that intersection.

It's ashamed, but I've developed a similar mindset to what one of the 3 in the video have. If I can drive away afterwards, I count myself lucky.

i get that all the time when my girl and i shop at neman marcus. when were trying to get some help to buy a LV purse for her no body came to help until webusted out the cash to pay.. super weak!!

Originally Posted by BgL2687

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
no worries I used to get alot of this when I visited high end stores. When they ask you that, thats when you have to bring out the stacks. But once you become a regular at high end stores I promise you the shopping experience is great. They will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable while shopping no matter your race or age. Champage or perrier water upon arrival.
pimp.gif

As a retail employee who works with high-end merchandise, I can tell you we profile everyone, regardless of race. It's part of being a human being and having experience dealing thousands of shoppers over the years. And 95% of the time our assumption is dead-on. The problem is different races develop unique shopping patterns that we identify (I'd go more in depth, but I'm sure NT's PC Police would report it). We'll greet every customer and offer help, but beyond that it's on the shopper to actually show an interest in being helped.

You are the problem with retail.

Originally Posted by Ouch my feet

As a retail employee who works with high-end merchandise, I can tell you we profile everyone, regardless of race. It's part of being a human being and having experience dealing thousands of shoppers over the years. And 95% of the time our assumption is dead-on. The problem is different races develop unique shopping patterns that we identify (I'd go more in depth, but I'm sure NT's PC Police would report it). We'll greet every customer and offer help, but beyond that it's on the shopper to actually show an interest in being helped.

Stop being so Naive. People judge, thats the end of it.

One time I was at Dillards shopping by the Polo section and this white old male clerk wouldn't take his eyes off me, Like I was going to steal something, Ifelt like taking my wallet out and showing him I had plenty of money, But I instead I just grabbed a few items and made sure he rang me up!!
BTW Im Mexican

I remember i was at this upscale watch store, and the white lady in her late 30's said "come back here ill show you our bling bling section" myboy and i started laughing. I guess she thought we were p diddy kids or something.

IM white

i would for sure say something, i mean *!*? this is 209 WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT

lol @ racism

pure ignorance

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Originally Posted by Ouch my feet

Stop being so Naive. People judge, thats the end of it.

Its pretty much a fact that. "people say dont judge a book by its cover, but that exactly what people do every time."

some time ago i posted about my experience in the LV store in Bev Hills. (yea i was trickin at the time)
anyways this happens...but not like how they did it on the show. its more lowkey.
"sorry we dont have this in your size"
"oh we dont carry that here. its much easier to shop online..."

and you would never know till you pull out 10grand.

thats when they double check for your size.

and thats F'ed up.

but...dont get me wrong. Ns do run up in stores and steal whole racks of clothes. lol. its not like they have no basis.
i seen a chick walk up in Express and steal about 1k worth of these pants. i had to snitch cause my girl worked there and i didnt wanna stay late lol.
and she was black, fine as hell and looked very professional.

Hey_

Originally Posted by CHICAGORILLAS

IM white

i would for sure say something, i mean *!*? this is 209 WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT

lol @ racism

pure ignorance

I get what you're saying,

but I hope you had the same mindset before the election.

Julius F. Wrek

Originally Posted by THE FAME

If you were in such a situation what would you have done?
Without a doubt in my mind, I would've called the employee out.

That video made me mad.

Sidenote: I hate when people question my motives when I defend a minority victim of racism. "You're not _____, so why do you even care?"
smh.gif

I could just if I was with the fam shopping at this store. My dad would go crazy on the white lady

Back
Top Bottom