Science and Religion

I grew up with traditional religious Caribbean parents. For them science was nature. Medicine was tricky but they never denounced it. Space travel and anythought of other life was blasphemy. So for a time in my life I was scared to embrace my inner love for Astronomy. I was scared to really explore new sciences.

So a few months ago I asked my cousins, who are devout SDA, if they think aliens exist.

They said yes of course other life exists. They probably look just like us...or maybe they don't. The Bible is the story of Earth and our mankind. How wefell from grace and our struggle thereafter. There are countless other stories out there. Other planets other people other times..... one God.

I was somewhat shocked by this answer. I tried to talk to my father about what my cousins told me and my dad looked like he wanted to strangle me. He basicallytook it back to the bible and the prophecies. This was all predicted. We would all start to wonder why and what if. People would riot and..... you know how thestory goes.

I feel like I'm committing a great sin sometimes when I think outside of the "box".
tired.gif

I like what your cousin's said. You have to realize that the "Box" is only for the common man. If you are uncommon like myself, that boxisn't for you. The box, like all of society, is meant to keep people conformed and productive. It's not there to provide answers. People think insideof the box because the outsides of the box are uncharted. Most people are afraid to be trail blazers. There is no validation on thoughts outside of the box,which scares people into thinking that what they've come up with is wrong. I live outside of the box.... like the majority of NT.

this is why i dont like or agree with any religion.

No 1 way is the way for everybody.

But most religions act as if those who dont follow them are doomed.

correct me if i'm wrong.

If there is ONE God, then there is ONE way for everybody. It's just that no ONE person can be sure of it.

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

If there is ONE God, then there is ONE way for everybody. It's just that no ONE person can be sure of it.

Or maybe that 1 way was split up into many? Put that in your thinking bubble and pop it.
laugh.gif

but thats the thing that i cant get my head around.

There are so many cultures and ways of life around the WORLD.

How would we all beleive in the same thing, doesnt make much sense to me.

Science and religion will be inextricably linked until the end of time.

I believe in only one God. My research and studies are quickly leading me to believe that while man has created several religions and affiliations, thesymbols prevalent throughout them all remain the same. We say Jehovah Jirah, Muslims say Allah, Jews say Yahweh, et. al.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Or maybe that 1 way was split up into many? Put that in your thinking bubble and pop it.
laugh.gif
It wasn't..... but think of the telephone game. Hence our many religions. Each of them is wrong.All of them are correct.
How would we all beleive in the same thing, doesnt make much sense to me.
We don't. We can't be expected to. That's why (as I believe) there is a such thing as Faith. You don't have to be right with what you believe. You have to have faith in what you believe.

i got what u saying.

But for me to have faith it has to make sense & religion doesnt.

not trying to argue or insult anybodies beliefs, JMO.

I think the greater sin would be to not think outside the box. You shouldn't just go along with your faith, and beliefs. You should examine them.
Don't run away from them though if you encounter things that don't add up. Try and look harder.

You really think out of the thousands of years man has lived, NOBODY has a belief system that works for you? I doubt it. Even atheists belong to a religiousbase if you want to be technical.

Originally Posted by MJsaver

i got what u saying.

But that's the thing, bro': Faith and religion are not the same thing. You can believe in Godor whatever it is you believe in, and not subscribe to that religion's beliefs. For example, look at the Five Percenters and their correlation with othersects and branches of Islam. There are a few similarities between them, but that's where it ends.

I'M not saying im an atheist.

But what religious base do they belong to???
They nor agnostics 'don't.' They either believe that everything is a scientific occurrence that can be quantized into esoteric termsor that there is no spiritual life, and after we all die we simply cease to exist. (Almost like the Mormons' concept of hell being an oblivion.)

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

i got what u saying.

But that's the thing, bro': Faith and religion are not the same thing. You can believe in God or whatever it is you believe in, and not subscribe to that religion's beliefs. For example, look at the Five Percenters and their correlation with other sects and branches of Islam. There are a few similarities between them, but that's where it ends.

True.

They arent the same thing, but i cant have one without the other.

I cant put my faith in something if deep in the back of my mind it doesnt add up.

Atheist dont belong to a religiion but they have faith and belive that God doesnt exist they're the same as someone who believes or has fiththere is a God because noone knows for sure

They nor agnostics 'don't.' They either believe that everything is a scientific occurrence that can be quantized into esoteric terms or that there is no spiritual life, and after we all die we simply cease to exist. (Almost like the Mormons' concept of hell being an oblivion.)
Which in and of itself, if religious IMO. Anti-religions is religion... it's just not aimed in thesame direction

They nor agnostics 'don't.' They either believe that everything is a scientific occurrence that can be quantized into esoteric terms or that there is no spiritual life, and after we all die we simply cease to exist. (Almost like the Mormons' concept of hell being an oblivion.)
Which in and of itself, if religious IMO. Anti-religions is religion... it's just not aimed in the same direction
Excellent point, Rilla. That's the same reason I don't really give devil or Satan worship any credence, because it ultimately becomes anantithesis of itself.

seems like your getting technical.

Just because i dont believe in something, that non belief is my religion.

I dont know about that 1.

Now if i was practicing my non belief or living my life by my it, then it would seem like a religion.

I wish teir were more people like your cousin. Its called intelligence! Religion is great but when over taken becomes a bad thing cause it leads to singleviews and close minds.

But how can being anti-religious be a religion, when religion is a organized way to practice your belief? Being anti religious IMO, is not believing in aset of rules like other religions practice. I have no religion, but I do believe in a God, and believing in a higherbeing doesn't mean I am religious.

Humans are very self centered, so the whole universe has to made for us, but when you see how humans are so pointless in the universe, it is hard to take.

Back
Top Bottom