Retro's depreciating the value of OG's or "older retros"

With JB following suite by actually realizing they can profit off of dropping OG colorways or "hyped" colorways, does doing so depreciate older models (OG and older retros included)?  For example with people sitting on OG or 2000 retros did it take a toll on your resell?  Just wondering what NT's thoughts are on all the retros; personally I like the 1 out of 25 chance they drop something I like and i can cop a DS pair for $160 plus w/shipping 
grin.gif
 (I hope someone got my attempt at humor). Anyone thoughts or opinions are appreciated, I just hope JB stops with the 60+ and anything related and realizes what sells, but some more quality would be appreciated. . .

I dont think the OG's are losing value, it's the resellers that are driving ppl out of the market.

da whole sneaker market tanked with da economy, compound da fact that da we as consumers already own TONS of these sneakers = kicks aren't gonna move da way they used to.

Nikes prices are going up and they are producing just as many, if not more sneakers now. Jordan is too, so I think the overpricing of resellers is what really hurts the sneaker game [jordans]

the sale of sneakers has not stopped but the value of kicks has lost alot of steam

only a few shoes can command top dollar

I dont think retro's are depreciating the value of OG's.
Because the OG's have better quality and have Nike Air on it.
The retros were getting watered down quality. If you truly have love for the sneaker game your always gunna respect the OGs.

Originally Posted by JIM SHADY2003

not sure I'm too distracted by 160jordansdeep's avatar to think right now
glasses.gif

haha well since i'm the OP i'll stay on topic but i caught myself looking at it for a good 5 seconds before scrolling down to your post 
eek.gif

The fact of the matter is, i think "sneakerheads" are more obsessed over older retros or OG's.  Most people in the game aren't banging down the door for every new 1-23 jordan released now adays.  They just want the old colorways that take them back, or maybe few and far inbetween new ones coming out that look hot to them personally.  I think i read somewhere that when someone realized the Laney/Grape pack wasn't dropping 
frown.gif
 they pulled their 2005's off of ebay. . .

Originally Posted by JIM SHADY2003

not sure I'm too distracted by 160jordansdeep's avatar to think right now
glasses.gif

haha well since i'm the OP i'll stay on topic but i caught myself looking at it for a good 5 seconds before scrolling down to your post 
eek.gif

The fact of the matter is, i think "sneakerheads" are more obsessed over older retros or OG's.  Most people in the game aren't banging down the door for every new 1-23 jordan released now adays.  They just want the old colorways that take them back, or maybe few and far inbetween new ones coming out that look hot to them personally.  I think i read somewhere that when someone realized the Laney/Grape pack wasn't dropping 
frown.gif
 they pulled their 2005's off of ebay. . .

^see that's dumb. to me i have a love for kicks.
I own a pair of OG Carmines. But those are my only true OG's that I have I think that every man is different.
I buy kicks based on what I like I do wish that I could have every OG that came out just for collection purpose but
thats hard to do so we settle for retros and new cw.

Here is something I don't think was touch upon:

As time marches on, less and less of the 'sneaker community' hold direct links to these covetted
original releases. People age. Younger audience fills the void. Not a knock to the younger crowd -
but you guys don't have the same link to the past with these shoes and frankly do not care as much.
It makes sense and is the way it really should be. There is no 're-united at last' feeling to drive you
to pay otherwise foolish amounts of money.

Thus, this does not help to increase the value of originals. I think a lot of younger cats look at ogs
or pricey older retros and are like this: You really like them, but can usually wait for another release
in the future over blindly coughing up hundreds of dollars. Also - a younger consumer is, on average,
a poorer consumer.

In short - originals aren't as big a deal as they used to be. Retros have something to do with it.

^I agree.
As the years go by kids that are born will hear about MJ but they wont have experienced him playing and seeing him flying like he did throughout the 80s and 90s. I was born in 91 and I have a strong love for OGs and Older retros. Even if I cant wear them I still want them to keep to collect.

I feel you on this one......these resellers are killin me with all this.  Why arent you proud about a pair of sneaks you still have rather then how much they are worth?  Not to mention the fact that shoes will degrade and become unwearable.  This whole DS/VNDS is a crock of poop.  Wear your sneaks man and stop trying to sell them you NERDS

i see more people selling their jordans now that there are so many retros releasing. so of course ive been after older retros more so than the newer ones. i just need em boredeaux!!

OGs lean more towards collectors i don't think the majority of consumers will drop 4-500 dollars on an og pair of jordans to wear them so theyd rather just grab the retroes even though they're much less quality they're more expendable to wear than OGs

only by a nominal decrease i mean if a shoe has never been retroed then it changes the shoe but only few people are collecting og's and/or care

Here's how i go about "flipping/selling" my kicks. I wear my shoes, i have 2 pairs i've only tried on or worn once. They didn't sit right with me so i try to move them to buy used or vnds kicks that i'll actually wear. Isn't that what shoes were made for anyways? wearing!?

Originally Posted by green rhino123

Here is something I don't think was touch upon:

As time marches on, less and less of the 'sneaker community' hold direct links to these covetted
original releases. People age. Younger audience fills the void. Not a knock to the younger crowd -
but you guys don't have the same link to the past with these shoes and frankly do not care as much.
It makes sense and is the way it really should be. There is no 're-united at last' feeling to drive you
to pay otherwise foolish amounts of money.

Thus, this does not help to increase the value of originals. I think a lot of younger cats look at ogs
or pricey older retros and are like this: You really like them, but can usually wait for another release
in the future over blindly coughing up hundreds of dollars. Also - a younger consumer is, on average,
a poorer consumer.

In short - originals aren't as big a deal as they used to be. Retros have something to do with it.

Real spit!

Also age is now a factor. Most OGS aren't wearable anymore. Even a lot of 99 retros arent wearable anymore. Thus inferior retros will reign

Back
Top Bottom