REEBOK PUMP CHRONOLOGY (COUNTERKICKS.com)

via COUNTERKICKS.com

COUNTERKICKS EXCLUSIVE: Reebok Pump Chronology

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_history_graphic.jpg

Today, in Counter Kicks non-stop exclusive Reebok Pump coverage (see: PaulLitchfield Interview Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Reebok ERS/Hexalite Technology post) leading up the 20th Anniversary of the Pump on November 20th, we bring you the Pump Chronology, a listing of everylandmark Pump shoe from the technology's debut in 1989 to its first creative plateau in 1994. Continue reading to see our entire exclusive PumpChronology…

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_01.jpg

Reebok The Pump: The original Pump was released as a basketball shoe in Men's sizes only. The world's first shoe with a fullyadjustable fit contained a midfoot and ankle air bladder, quilted to control air allocation. As a result, when the bladders were inflated, the majority of thepumped air filled gaps around the ankle, and a marginal amount filled areas less in need of a snug fit such as the forefoot flex zone. The only Pump shoe tofeature an air release button on the back. Under foot, it employed ERS cushioning. Worn by Dominique Wilkins, Danny Ainge, Byron Scott, and Doc Rivers.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_02.jpg

Reebok The Pump Twilight Zone: The immediate successor to the original Pump shoe, Pump Twilight Zone showcased a familiar high-top height.Men's sizes featured a midfoot and ankle air bladder, while Kid's sizes, due to a scaled-down design, offered only a midfoot air bladder. First Pumpshoe to use the tongue-based air release button. Pump Twilight Zone included ERS. Worn by Dominique Wilkins.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_03.jpg

Reebok The Pump Omni Zone: The first Pump shoe to be offered in both Men's and Women's sizes, Pump Omni Zone featured ERS (the finalPump basketball shoe to use this cushioning technology) and mid foot and ankle air bladders. Reebok advertised Pump Omni Zone as a ¾ cut shoe in itsadvertising, even though the shoe in fact retained the high-top height of its predecessors. Worn by various NBA players including Horace Grant and John Paxson.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_04.jpg

Reebok The Pump Court Victory: Worn by tennis star Michael Chang, this Men's tennis shoe touted lateral and medial support and stability,The first performance -based Pump shoe to utilize Hexalite cushioning. Pump Court Victory's outsole was made of Dura Trac Plus compound to resist wear withuse on tennis courts.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_05.jpg

Reebok The Pump Aerobic Lite: Pump Aerobic Lite was the Pump successor to Reebok's popular Freestyle shoe. Offered only for women, thisshoe featured Hexalite cushioning, Hy-Elvaloy midsole, and a molded sockliner with Coolmax vamp for moisture control.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_06.jpg

Reebok The Pump AXT: Reebok's first Pump cross-training shoe, it was offered in Men's and Women's sizes. Pump AXT sported aHy-Elvaloy midsole with Hexalite.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_08.jpg

Reebok The Pump SXT: A Pump cross-training shoe tailored just for men, Pump SXT debuted the Reebok Midfoot Stability Bar. Again, Hexaliteserved as the cushioning system.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_running.jpg

Reebok The Pump Running
: A Pump running shoe finally debuts and features two air bladders: one around the ankle collar and one underneath the arch.Coolmax sockliner. Goodyear Indy 500 Plus rubber outsole for durability; Reebok calls it "the highest abrasion-resistant material used in theindustry." The Hy-Elvaloy, tri-density midsole was developed for motion control. Hexalite cushioning.

reebok_pump_walking.jpg

Reebok The Pump Walking: Pump Walking revealed the Reebok Energaire outsole, a sectioned platform that encouraged a consistent foot-strike.With Hexalite in the heel, this shoe gave walkers the option to customize personal fit with a removable sockliner.

reebok_pump_dl.jpg

Reebok The Pump DL: Reebok's first non-signature tennis model, Pump DL showcased a modest upper design while loading up on technology:Heel air bladder, Hy-Elvaloy midsole, heel and forefoot Hexalite, and Goodyear Indy 500 rubber in forefoot outsole and toe-off areas.

reebok_pump_omni_zone_ii.jpg

Reebok The Pump Omni Zone II: Best known as the shoe Dee Brown pumped up at the 1991 NBA Slam Dunk Contest, Pump Omni Zone II picked up wherePump Omni Zone left off, this time replacing ERS with Hexalite and featuring a more styled plastic stability system on the upper. In addition to Brown, thisshoe was worn by Dominique Wilkins, Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers, and Dennis Rodman.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_omni_lite.jpg

Reebok The Pump Omni Lite
: Pump Omni Lite resembled Pump Omni Zone II almost identically except Omni Lite offered a mid-cut height, slightly modifiedplastic stability system on its upper, and a leather ankle collar as opposed to Pump Omni Zone II's mesh overlay ankle collar. Omni Lite's Pump systemwas a midfoot air bladder. In addition to these design differences, Omni Lite's tongue and heel signage was printed on whereas Omni Zone II's wasstitched into the leather.

reebok_club_pump.jpg

Reebok Club Pump: In many ways the successor to Pump DL, the Club Pump showcased a simple upper with Hexalite cushioning and Goodyear Indy 500Plus rubber outsole for durability.

reebok_pump_court_victory_ii.jpg

Reebok Court Victory II
: The follow-up to Court Victory, Court Victory II continued its predecessor's general design language and shared itsHexalite cushioning. Reebok chose Goodyear Indy 500 Plus rubber for the outsole for durability. Worn by tennis star Michael Chang.

reebok-the-pump-above-the-rim.jpg

Reebok The Pump Above The Rim: An expansion of the Pump basketball line, Pump Above The Rim donned a new iteration of Pump technology: a two-way valve thatcontrolled air flow to a dual-chamber bladder. Turning the valve to the left and pumping inflated the upper chamber. Turning the valve to the right and pumpinginflated the footbed chamber. This shoe was also offered in a non-Pump version that included a gumsole and also featured Hexalite.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_shaq.jpg

Reebok The Pump Shaq Attaq: Orlando Magic rookie Shaquille O'Neal's first signature shoe, Pump Shaq Attaq featured a vibrant white, blue, and blackupper, high-top height, midfoot and ankle air bladders, and Hexalite.

counterkicks_timeline_reebok_pump_fury.jpg

Reebok Instapump Fury: A shoe truly unlike any other, Instapump Fury's laceless upper was a skeletal Pump system that was inflated by apressurized CO2 cartridge. GraphLite arch bridge provided rigid yet lightweight stability. Hexalite cushioning.

Follow us on Twitter @counterkicks for the latest sneaker news.

One thing about that timeline that has me scratching my head and thats the court victory II I'm pretty sure this is the court victory II unless there was adifferent version of the II? I know that shoe is a tennis pump and most likely a chang but a court victory ii?

^ You bring up a very good point... I distinctly remember a Reebok ad from back then with those CVII's and the slogan "Yo, I'm your new tennisshoe" (in the first post), but don't remember Chang wearing that colorway or model, but instead the CVII's you posted above, which obviously hedid wear. I'll have to dig through my old Tennis Magazines (from the early 90's, which I still have LOL) for any pictures...

To be continued.

Fury at the end, best for last, great stuff though, awesome shoes a great time to be a shoe collector

Originally Posted by SinnerP

^ You bring up a very good point... I distinctly remember a Reebok ad from back then with those CVII's and the slogan "Yo, I'm your new tennis shoe" (in the first post), but don't remember Chang wearing that colorway or model, but instead the CVII's you posted above, which obviously he did wear. I'll have to dig through my old Tennis Magazines (from the early 90's, which I still have LOL) for any pictures...

To be continued.
The images are actually the same shoe, it's just some "liberty's" were taken when "re-engineering" it for there-release. It's something most companies do, just because it's so costly to re-issue an old model. The molded piece on the Original is prettyexpensive, so it was modified on the bringback version and because Hexalite isn't really functional anymore (outdated tech) the branding was left off ofthe heel counter.

Originally Posted by nitzski

^ You bring up a very good point... I distinctly remember a Reebok ad from back then with those CVII's and the slogan "Yo, I'm your new tennis shoe" (in the first post), but don't remember Chang wearing that colorway or model, but instead the CVII's you posted above, which obviously he did wear. I'll have to dig through my old Tennis Magazines (from the early 90's, which I still have LOL) for any pictures...

To be continued.
The images are actually the same shoe, it's just some "liberty's" were taken when "re-engineering" it for the re-release. It's something most companies do, just because it's so costly to re-issue an old model. The molded piece on the Original is pretty expensive, so it was modified on the bringback version and because Hexalite isn't really functional anymore (outdated tech) the branding was left off of the heel counter.

Too bad thats not the case, Chang wore the exact shoe that was retro'd with the only variation being the height of the tongue, I know that the pumps inthat picture did release and were most likely a chang but ive never seen him wear them.

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

Originally Posted by nitzski

To be continued.
The images are actually the same shoe, it's just some "liberty's" were taken when "re-engineering" it for the re-release. It's something most companies do, just because it's so costly to re-issue an old model. The molded piece on the Original is pretty expensive, so it was modified on the bringback version and because Hexalite isn't really functional anymore (outdated tech) the branding was left off of the heel counter.

Too bad thats not the case, Chang wore the exact shoe that was retro'd with the only variation being the height of the tongue, I know that the pumps in that picture did release and were most likely a chang but ive never seen him wear them.

Lol...ok, thanks.

Thanks for sharing Steez. I have a few pairs of pumps and am planning to get more in the future.

i wish there were more to choose from, but i think if reebok were to start trying to reinvent the pump now they'd epically fail...

the above the rim pumps description seemed to be about hte double pump, not that atr pump which was the Dtime pump i belive

i say the best colorway of the omni zones was the white and grey with the orange pump on the tongue, such a subtle colorway but the best imo.

I don't remember the Omni Lite as an original pump model, and I think they left a few original models out.

Back
Top Bottom