-Racist moment or am I overreacting? (Even though I didn't react at all)- Vol: You dont know me fam'

Sooooo, They just opened up a Sports Authority "Elite" by my way and I decided to check it out. I walked in and a white lady politely greeted me and asked me if I was looking for something in particular, I said "No, just checking out the store" and she said "Ok, if you need any help my name is _______ feel free to ask", I said "OK, Thanks"

So I was browsing around and I noticed that there was nothing but outdoor gear and running gear... and I get to the shoe wall, and theres nothing but Running shoes and this white male employee comes up to me out of NO WHERE and says "Yeah we don't carry basketball shoes... just running shoes"...
eek.gif
I was shocked and I said "Ok, thanks".... I know he didn't mean any harm... but come'on fam... How the hell does he know that I even like basketball? I had on Casual Pradas...

laugh.gif

This reminds me of whenever I walk in a shoe store and they're like "You know we got those Jordans that came out today"

Like do they go up to white folks like "we got those new Asics"

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Sooooo, They just opened up a Sports Authority "Elite" by my way and I decided to check it out. I walked in and a white lady politely greeted me and asked me if I was looking for something in particular, I said "No, just checking out the store" and she said "Ok, if you need any help my name is _______ feel free to ask", I said "OK, Thanks"

So I was browsing around and I noticed that there was nothing but outdoor gear and running gear... and I get to the shoe wall, and theres nothing but Running shoes and this white male employee comes up to me out of NO WHERE and says "Yeah we don't carry basketball shoes... just running shoes"...
eek.gif
I was shocked and I said "Ok, thanks".... I know he didn't mean any harm... but come'on fam... How the hell does he know that I even like basketball? I had on Casual Pradas...
Damn baby paw. I don't even know what to say. Well I wouldn't sweat it, I know he's not going far in life.

Probably stereotyping you based off your profile. If you were built like TO looking at running shoes id doubt he would of said that. But who really knows..

Fam' I think you're reaching a bit... 
Dude probably assumed that you were wondering where were the basketball shoes. 

I mean, it's a Sport Authority yet they don't carry shoes you use for sports? 
grin.gif

Mehhh! 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Fam' I think you're reaching a bit... 
Dude probably assumed that you were wondering where were the basketball shoes. 

I mean, it's a Sport Authority yet they don't carry shoes you use for sports? 
grin.gif

Mehhh! 
laugh.gif

The "Elite" store is a branch of  "Sports Authority" I mean, I knew what the deal was when I seen all of the ski gear and running clothes... The wall wasn't that damn big fam'... I can see that there wasn't any basketball shoes at first glance.

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

How do they does "Sports" Authority not even have sell basketball shoes. That's the real question.

It was strictly for runners and the extreme outdoorsy type...

Write a letter to corporate. Don't let this go unchecked.

As a matter of fact, give me the store phone # and I will call and speak on your behalf.

That's lighthearted judgement/ observation. I'm sure he meant no harm by it, especially if he was polite. You could probably tell by his tone if he meant something negative.

Now if he would've said something like "sir, the clearance section is that way" THEN we would have an issue.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

That's lighthearted judgement/ observation. I'm sure he meant no harm by it, especially if he was polite. You could probably tell by his tone if he meant something negative.

Now if he would've said something like "sir, the clearance section is that way" THEN we would have an issue.

I know he meant no harm...but you don't approach customers like that. You ask them "Are you looking for a particular shoe?"... I never worked retail and even I know this...

Originally Posted by Executive76

laugh.gif

This reminds me of whenever I walk in a shoe store and they're like "You know we got those Jordans that came out today"

Like do they go up to white folks like "we got those new Asics"

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Man. just this weekend I was walking around the mall and I accidentally choked on something & started coughing my lungs out.  Then this white man muttered under his breath, "You need to be isolated".  I'm Chinese, mind you, and I wasn't even sick.  Thinking back, I should've said something or purposely spat on him... don't know if I'm being sensitive or if he was trying to say somethin racist.  

But Currency if you walk in there with your Jays on he is just gonna assume...

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Oh yea because the tone is the only thing that matters. It doesn't matter if he didn't INTEND on it being harmful, he make a racially motivated stereotype out of THIN AIR.

It wasn't harmless at all man. We have to stop letting folks "pop slick" without speaking up.

Dude saw a black dude lookng on the wall and said something about basketball shoes. I mean what more needs to be said man?

laugh.gif
Oh c'mon OP relaaaaaaax... no one is EVER racist!

Just a lighthearted jab based on your appearance there guy tee hee!

honestly I think the employee HIMSELF was disappointed the sports store he works at didn't sell basketball shoes because he's a baller himself. When he saw you near the shoe department with a sad look on your face he automatically knew it was because there were no bball shoes for sale.. It sounds like you just want Niketalk to back up your thoughts of that situation being racist when in reality it was nothing more than..nothing. Does it matter that the lady at the door was "white"? Was it even necessary to include that in your post, since she caused you no troubles..

Just sayin..

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Write a letter to corporate. Don't let this go unchecked.

As a matter of fact, give me the store phone # and I will call and speak on your behalf.
this.

Back
Top Bottom