QB's throwing motion...

reading in the current ESPN Mag, there's a spotlight on 3 NFL bound QB's (Andre Woodson, Matt Ryan, and John David Booty) and one of the knocks onAndre was his throwing motion. is a QB's throwing motion THAT big of a deal?

Dre reminds me of Vick, with their elbows above the ball at the start of their motion (which was the knock on Dre's motion), though Vick's release ismuch quicker.

6uficsz.jpg

Colt Brennan, Vince Young....somewhat Tony Romo:

Byron Leftwich almost winds-up, starts his pass with the ball around his waist, similar to Favre:

Brohm reminds me of Carson Palmer, both with more traditional releases:

thoughts?

i applaud your pictorial research (for serious)

i can certainly see the relation of the motions

a QB's throwing motion is important in the same way that form on a jumper is important: if you have too much of a windup, or a lower, sidearm release,there's a greater chance the ball is slapped out of your hand by a rusher or knocked down at the line of scrimmage, just like if you have a low releasepoint on your jay, it's easier to block. The most important thing about a good throwing motion, though, is consistent accuracy, just like with a jumpshot,and results are really all that matters.

simply put, it's easier to be more accurate with a textbook throw, your legs are driving your hips, your shoulders, your arm goes forward in a straightline towards your target, there's a reason it's textbook, it's because it's efficient, and it works (same with textbook jumper). on the otherhand, if you can gun the ball out there and hit your guy in the numbers everytime throwing it underhand, then by all means. just like kevin martin, joshchildress, and shawn marion (lookin like a jackrabbit jumping out of a hole) can play at the highest level with foogly shots, an ugly throw for a touchdown isstill a touchdown. I can't think off the top of my end of any really amazing qb's with really unorthodox throwing motions... Favre only winds it upbecause he's always been too lazy to use his legs properly (seriously, watch his drop back, just backpedaling...) but with the power he's got in hisarm it's never been a problem.

I remember high school football coach advice tho, when you drop back, ball in both hands at your ear, plant your back foot, step forward through the throw, armfollows down and across to your pant pocket on the other side... I've never been great at it myself...

nice post with the pics btw

damn, well done... your right on with your comparisons.

i think woodson, brennan, and brohm will all be decent/solid NFL players

Wow, nice. I think it can matter to a degree, but if you are a good QB, you are a good QB.

this isnt a good year for qbs....imo brohm will be the best straight out bc he ha so much experience....it all depends on how quick you get it out of yourhandsthats why romo is so goo

Now find a side-by-side of a player's shooting form compared to Marion and you'll become one of Niketalker's best posters.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

i applaud your pictorial research (for serious)

i can certainly see the relation of the motions

I really don't think it matters, as long as your accurate. You can see that all of the styles work.

Originally Posted by IronmanFitness

this isnt a good year for qbs....imo brohm will be the best straight out bc he ha so much experience....it all depends on how quick you get it out of your handsthats why romo is so goo
Brian Brohm
Matt Ryan
Dre Woodson
Colt Brennan
Chad Henne
John David Booty
Dennis Dixon
Flacco at Delaware (K8be wan Kenobi0
Erik Ainge

Chad Henne
Sike.

Back to throwing motion, I think it helps in accuaracy but then again Bernie Kosar threw for 30,000+ yards basically slinging that joint underhanded.

VY's form looks funky as hell. Dude looks like he's about dislocate his elbow.

this isnt a good year for qbs....
What?

Alex Smith would be like a 5th rounder in this years draft are you serious
laugh.gif

There is no Carson Palmer some super elite prospect like that but there is about 7 guys with first round talent there is usually about 3.

haha, i used to get yelled at by my coach because i had the same throwing motion as Vick and Woodson
really, i could get more speed and accuracy throwing like that.. i never really gave to much thought, just kinda how i learned to throw

Alex Smith's throwing motion looks a little weird...

and also throwing motion isn't everything although it's definitely very important...Nate Longshore IMO has a very pretty textbook throw but withoutgood decision-making ability you ain't goin anywhere no matter how pretty it looks.

FlashEightZero - yeah,i'm aware of the reasons QB mechanincs are taught, i played QB myself...that's why i've always noticed these things.

but you brought up a great point... "when you drop back, ball in both hands at your ear." i think only in high school will you find guys actuallygoing to the ear, but nobody grasps this concept better than P-Money, which leads to his quick release.

Brohm and JDB do it well:

on the other hand, you got guys like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, and Drew Bledsoe:

7w7w40h.jpg

Bernie Kosar threw for 30,000+ yards basically slinging that joint underhanded

Thank You! god i couldn't think who that was for nothing
laugh.gif

Alex Smith's throwing motion looks a little weird...

I don't think it's too weird. everthing looks good in the first two pics, but he comes "over the top" more than most QB's it seemslike:

but his greatest asset is throwing on the run:

Ugliest throwing motion: Phillip Rivers. He's shotputting the pigskin out there sometimes.

ugliest motion i've ever seen was a QB for a team UK played early this year. it was either Kent State, Eastern Kentucky, or Florida Atlantic. justimagine Byron Leftwich combined with Phillip Rivers
sick.gif

Rivers almost slings the ball...notice the ball and his elbow, that's the point in which he actually throws from.

i forgot to mention a couple guys in my original post.

Jeff Garcia is another "wind-up" guy.

and i can't believe i failed to mention this "high-elbow" guy:

Look at that load
pimp.gif

6ss6hdw.jpg

i couldn't really find a pic, but what irks me about Rex Grossman (or Gross Rexman as i like to call him) is that he steps into his throws, but hedoesn't step THROUGH them. kinda reminds me of Richie Sexson's swing.
I think it can matter to a degree, but if you are a good QB, you are a good QB.

that's kinda how i feel. i think guys just go with what's comfortable or what works for them. same with any sport. i think mechanics should only betweaked when the results aren't cuttin' it. take Vince Young for example, are his bad numbers a result of bad mechanics, or poor decision making? ormaybe they're just from being a 2nd year QB. i haven't seen enough of VY to give my opinion.

and a bonus pic i found when searching for Phillip Rivers that i thought was
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom