Post Your Study Habits - Vol - Tips and Tricks - Let's do this before Midterms are upon us

What are some yall's tips and tricks when it comes to studying?
Right now I have a few business classes, and I know by the time Exam 1 rolls around I'll have at least 100 slides to look over.

Do you guys find yourself pacing yourself throughout the chapters, do you even read the chapters or just skim through and focus on what you know is important?

Any help would be appreciated 
pimp.gif

I used to really just procrastinate, but ive gotten into the habit of splitting up work and trying to keep up with it.

Most important thing is to understand what classes need what amount of time/strategies. My religion class wont be getting the same amount of study time as my microbio class, but i pay way more attention in lecture and take great notes in there. In microbio, class isnt as important as slides/the book.

^^^ Just like above me I will add a few things though.

In both my biochem 3 and my microbio classes I have heard the tests dont coordinate with the class, but I never skip class. Therefor I will be reading the book to help me study. Just do a couple hours every day.

I read the chapters before class and about 4 or 5 days before the exam I reread them and start looking over my notes. If it is a class that deals with math I work a TON of problems.

i reread my notes everyday from the first day of class. it better enforces it into your memory when you do this as opposed to cramming.

casually reading your notes for a few minutes a day > cramming for hours and stressing the day before the test. you never know what is gonna happen. for my first bio exam last semester i was way too sick to study, but my study tip payed off and i got an A without having to officially study.

i hope you don't try to solve every challenge in your life by using drugs?

studying can be challenging, but i always found success by doing these things:

*use a library.
seriously, they're usually full of other people who are focusing on studying. they are usually quiet. you are usually able to find a space that suits your preference, like a computer terminal, or a comfortable chair/sofa, or a courtyard, or a secluded desk station, or a big table to spread out on. also, you will have access to a lot of other material that could prove helpful, or supportive. (compare this to studying at your kitchen table while one person is making dinner and the other person has 5 friends over watching a basketball game of your favorite team.)

* stimulate your brain by using different study methods.
reading paragraph after paragraph of econ history can be quite dry (if you're not super interested in it). but what if you tried to draw pictures of what you were reading. or wrote a poem about it? the more different parts of your brain you use to process the information, the more chance you have of being able to recall it when you need it. practice bringing up your subject matter in conversation with other people. use desktop items to physically enact the concepts you're studying. engage yourself.

* reward yourself for studying.
just did 3 hours of work on your term paper? go watch a movie! play outside. get drunk. realize that the journey can be it's own reward if you include rewards along the way.

*tell other people that you're studying (even if you're not but you think you should be)
seriously, i lied to so many people that asked me what i was doing on any given night. oh, i'm studying this or that. thing is, i hate lying, so i would actually make sure that i went and studied after i told someone that. the more i told people i was studying, the more i actually studied.

SUPER BONUS STUDY TIP
*teach.
nothing will help you learn material better than explaining it to someone else. if you have the opportunity, volunteer to lead a discussion group, or mentor someone in a lower level related course, or find somebody in your class who is doing even worse than you and get yourself in a situation to help them. being held accountable to somebody else usually made me want to over prepare, or over learn the information so that i could truly be of benefit to them. plus, the perspective and approach that others take to learning can stimulate you, too! other people ask you all sorts of questions that you would never think of yourself.

good luck. and don't give up!

Originally Posted by villansfinest

i hope you don't try to solve every challenge in your life by using drugs?

studying can be challenging, but i always found success by doing these things:

*use a library.
seriously, they're usually full of other people who are focusing on studying. they are usually quiet. you are usually able to find a space that suits your preference, like a computer terminal, or a comfortable chair/sofa, or a courtyard, or a secluded desk station, or a big table to spread out on. also, you will have access to a lot of other material that could prove helpful, or supportive. (compare this to studying at your kitchen table while one person is making dinner and the other person has 5 friends over watching a basketball game of your favorite team.)

* stimulate your brain by using different study methods.
reading paragraph after paragraph of econ history can be quite dry (if you're not super interested in it). but what if you tried to draw pictures of what you were reading. or wrote a poem about it? the more different parts of your brain you use to process the information, the more chance you have of being able to recall it when you need it. practice bringing up your subject matter in conversation with other people. use desktop items to physically enact the concepts you're studying. engage yourself.

* reward yourself for studying.
just did 3 hours of work on your term paper? go watch a movie! play outside. get drunk. realize that the journey can be it's own reward if you include rewards along the way.

*tell other people that you're studying (even if you're not but you think you should be)
seriously, i lied to so many people that asked me what i was doing on any given night. oh, i'm studying this or that. thing is, i hate lying, so i would actually make sure that i went and studied after i told someone that. the more i told people i was studying, the more i actually studied.

SUPER BONUS STUDY TIP
*teach.
nothing will help you learn material better than explaining it to someone else. if you have the opportunity, volunteer to lead a discussion group, or mentor someone in a lower level related course, or find somebody in your class who is doing even worse than you and get yourself in a situation to help them. being held accountable to somebody else usually made me want to over prepare, or over learn the information so that i could truly be of benefit to them. plus, the perspective and approach that others take to learning can stimulate you, too! other people ask you all sorts of questions that you would never think of yourself.

good luck. and don't give up!
Professor seriously just told us that this morning during class
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Wake up stare at words for 12+ hrs, go to sleep, repeat
ohwell.gif

as a med student is that what you're really doing?
It's what it feels like sometimes, the point is I can literally never study enough. I get really bad anxiety when I'm not looking at something related to school. I take breaks between blocks of reading/ doing problems to check NT/fb just to stay sane. The boards are lurking in June and I'm already showing signs of burnout.

Anyhow before exams the best thing you can do is organize yourself and set goals of what you intend on accomplishing. For eg. each day I set a goal to read so and so amount of pages and do a certain number of questions....it's efficient and it encourages productivity.

i used to be a huge procrastinator also. i found the easiest thing to do is keep up with material or even reading it ahead of time so that lecture is just a review for you. only having to study an hour or two the night before midterms is
pimp.gif

mnemonics!

go over notes 2-3 times. type it up with only relevant information and omit anything that you already have a good grasp on.

if they're provided, take advantage of sample exams!

Resist the urge to procrastinate. Every time I feel myself about to put something off until later, tomorrow, or some indefinite point in the future, I just think "What the hell am I gonna do with my life now? !$+%*#%$ around on the internet?" Productivity is as addictive as procrastination; it's just about forming new habits.

Back
Top Bottom