Oil change place messed up my car...what can I do?

9 times out of 10 I'll change my own oil with no issues, I've been super busy with work and haven't had a chance to do it myself. My girl took my car today while I was at work and decided to take it to get it done for me. I have a 2010 Nissan Altima, oil filter is located pretty much behind the front passenger side tire so it's easier if you remove the tire to get to it. After the oil change my girl noticed the car making a clicking noise when driven, she came to pick me up and I noticed the sound and she said it was getting louder. A couple of blocks later the tire sounds like my tire is scrapping against a curb. I pull over call roadside assistance when they arrive to tow the car come to find out my tire wasn't fastened back to the car. I lost a lug nut and the rest of them seemed to be hand tightened. The tow truck driver said it seems my caliper/brake pad/ rotor may have been damaged. So now I gotta call out of work tomorrow to have the car checked out. My question is what can I do? Should the oil change spot cover the damages since it was their doing? If they refuse does anyone think I have a case against them somehow?

Cliffs-
- got an oil change, change requires tire to be unmounted
-tire was not fastened correctly
-possible damage to car
- are they liable to cover the damages?

Inb4 "take the L"

Was it done at the dealership or you take it to one of those independent shops?

Regardless, I would speak to whoever runs the shop.

Last edited:
first check if there is damage
second contact your insurance, tell them what happened, they'll let you know what to do???

you really had to come to niketalk and ask ?

Last edited:
Was it done at the dealership or you take it to one of those independent shops?

Regardless, I would speak to whoever runs the shop.

Independent joint I'm gonna call them in the AM

first check if there is damage
second contact your insurance, tell them what happened, they'll let you know what to do???

you really had to come to niketalk and ask ?
Honestly anyone I asked in person including the tow truck driver said they don't know what to do, figured with the diversity in here someone could share some better knowledge

Contact the shop, if they are not willing to take responsibility for the damage they caused then get ahold of B.A.R (bureau of automotive repair) file a complaint through them and they will take over from there. I've been working in automotive for over ten years, trust me on this one.

Well, yeah, they were negligent so they would be responsible for any damage.

I've had something similar happen to me. There was no damage in my case tho. Almost had the tire fall off and they drove out to me to reattach my tire. I was pretty heated and they just kind of nervously laughed it off.

I had a nightmare situation dealing with these small places. Only dealing with the dealership for now on.

Yes they can and should be held accountable. Call them and raise hell. Tell them about how the wheel almost came out and that the car is not safely drivable as is and demand that they pay for a tow truck to bring the car to their shop. Look over the car with them when they access the damage and make sure they fix whatever was damaged because the person did not tighten the nuts down. Ironically, you don't even have to take the wheel off to get the filter off. You actually waste more time doing that.

Most likely the person who is at fault for this happening is going to get fired.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom