OFFICIAL Retail shopping secrets , hacks, tips , guidelines thread

Never buy anything thats by the register

Pay attention to the coding on the tags and clearance stickers , there's usually trends you can spot and decode , usually if there's several of one item in the clearance rack you can probably get it at a lower mark down the following week , the clearance rack is overstuffed and things gotta go .

Old navy , prices ending in .47 .49 .97 .99 are on clearance and possibly as low as it is going to go for

Buy one get one half off = fail

Take an extra __ % off clearance = hunger games , get it fast

April , October = save your money .

January , July = spend that money .

Last edited:
I worked for TJ Maxx and Mervyns(RIP) in high school and college and one thing I will say is don't sign up for the company credit card just for the 15% off discount. I've seen some people sign up and come back pretty furious at the fees and charges.

Also if you make a big enough fuss at the cashier, you can return damn near anything you want to a store. At that point they just want to get you out of the door

Claiming an item is damaged, no matter how slight can get you a little knocked off the price as well

I worked for TJ Maxx and Mervyns(RIP) in high school and college and one thing I will say is don't sign up for the company credit card just for the 15% off discount. I've seen some people sign up and come back pretty furious at the fees and charges.

Also if you make a big enough fuss at the cashier, you can return damn near anything you want to a store. At that point they just want to get you out of the door

Claiming an item is damaged, no matter how slight can get you a little knocked off the price as well
half the people in line at tj maxx are returning , it's ridiculous .

Can't hate on anyone trying to get a deal. Unless you make a gigantic fuss and bother others.

If you're interested in signing up for SiriusXM, call them and they'll give you an introductory rate for $XXX, talking them down can get you to pay $30 bucks for 6 months of service, then keep calling every 6 months to get the same rate.  

Shouldn't have to pay full price for something like that.

Not anything new:

- January-March is the perfect time to grab winter clothes at heavy discounts (companies bringing in spring/summer collections)

- Companies usually allow price adjustments -- so if you bought something for 50% off today and it drops to 70% next week, hit them up to get the difference

Last edited:
Has anyone ever taken a sneaker they got on sale somewhere to footlocker...footaction etc....where the shoe is still normal price. ...say u lost the receipt. ...and used that extra to get a different shoe lol

Has anyone ever taken a sneaker they got on sale somewhere to footlocker...footaction etc....where the shoe is still normal price. ...say u lost the receipt. ...and used that extra to get a different shoe lol
Only place that really accepts returns without reciepts are niketowns
And even then depending on how long it was released
U may get a reduced price
Like say the lowest current selling price

1. Use Bing instead of google to get better advertisement/targeted ad deals and to earn giftcards/prizes. Microsoft put millions and millions of dollars into Bing, so they'll basically pay you to use it at this point.

2. Download a bar code scanner app so you can compare in store prices to online prices easily. I use Google Goggles, which is worth a post by itself, but its cool for simple scanning too.

3. Use Incognito or Private browsing mode in Chrome/Firefox/IE to get lower prices on flights, hotel, and car rental. Probably the easiest way to save $100+.

4. If you find something you want on clearance but can't find it in your size, find it on the store's website, order it, return it, then buy it for the lower in store price (to work around the "we cant match clearance prices with our website" thing.)

5. If you like cologne or make up, Sephora will give you a sample of just about anything in the store for free. Great if you're thinking about getting something on FragranceNet but you aren't 100%.

Last edited:
If you're shopping on Amazon, download the Chrome extension Price Zombie to see the fluctuation of price for that product.

Most manufacturer's coupons work for items other than what's listed so you can get something for free or next to it. It doesn't work at every place but usually grocery stores.

Last edited:
Go to Auntie Anne's and order a large soda. Tell them you work at the mall. If they ask where, just name a random store there.

Large soda for $0.82 :pimp:

Was at Petco and some lady told me they price match their online store.
Was going to buy my dog a $13 nylabone, looked it up on their online store and it was on sale online for $7.

Saved $6 on the spot. :smokin

Best Buy does price match to a couple places, Amazon being one of them. Check if what you're going to buy is on sale for Amazon, show them it at the register and they'll discount it for you. Has to be sold and shipped by Amazon tho, not another seller on there.

Idk what other stores do these things, but I wanna know.

Back
Top Bottom