Official Oliberté Thread

This brand is an all african brand of fine designer shoes.  The labor, materials, and designs are all African.

Everything except the found is African.  He's a canadian guy who wanted to prove that African produce designer products of quality that rival European standards.

He also wanted to prove that Africa was capable of doing it solo dolo.

Ordering a pair of either the Adibos, the Shasa, or the Mogado Hi's when I get my next pay check.

Adibo

Shasa

Mogado Hi

Idea is cool and the shoes look great. Hoping to hear more from them in the future.

Photos are a bit deceptive. I had a pair of the Mogado Hi style, but the leather felt too stiff. Usually, I can break-in a nice pair of leather boots after a few wears, but these were really inferior in terms of quality. Aesthetically, they look great, but not enough for me to support the brand. If you really want them, try Amazon or GILT. A lot of people had sole separation and/or leather quality issues so buy with caution...

Photos are a bit deceptive. I had a pair of the Mogado Hi style, but the leather felt too stiff. Usually, I can break-in a nice pair of leather boots after a few wears, but these were really inferior in terms of quality. Aesthetically, they look great, but not enough for me to support the brand. If you really want them, try Amazon or GILT. A lot of people had sole separation and/or leather quality issues so buy with caution...
Thanks man.  I didn't know.

I still want to give it a try, if only to support this pro african cause.

Definitely. Of course it's nice to give back while receiving something in return, but it would probably be better to donate up-front & direct as I'm sure the the proceeds that come from this operation are minimal. To me, it just looks a viable way for them to outsource work while promoting that they are giving jobs. While it may be true, I'd like to venture that Red Cross probably provides more of an impact on their economy. From what I've been told, this just creates more of a workload for people in Ethiopia with existing jobs. A lot of brands have gone the "TOMS" route...

Definitely. Of course it's nice to give back while receiving something in return, but it would probably be better to donate up-front & direct as I'm sure the the proceeds that come from this operation are minimal. To me, it just looks a viable way for them to outsource work while promoting that they are giving jobs. While it may be true, I'd like to venture that Red Cross probably provides more of an impact on their economy. From what I've been told, this just creates more of a workload for people in Ethiopia with existing jobs. A lot of brands have gone the "TOMS" route...
The reason I believe in their cause/mission statement is that they aren't donating shoes.  They are providing africans with skilled jobs (cobbling is a legit skill) and using all african materials.  Considering that reputation of Africa, that says a lot. Designs are pretty good too.  It's not outsourcing if it's not based in Canada and wasn't meant to manufactured in Canada.

I have a pair of adibos, and bought to support the cause. Like don said it's not about donating, but providing jobs.

I'm looking to buy another pair or maybe a bag..

Really, it just looks like you guys want some form of justification for your purchases and/or future purchases while you're truly just receiving an incentive for your "donation", "support", etc.. As I said, I've been told that this operation just puts more of a workload on those already with existing manufacturing jobs. Yes, cobbling is a skill, but its not a life skill. This is 2013. Cobbling is now more so a hobby or tradition that can be used for profit as there are very few cobblers that use traditional techniques as a form of livelihood. You want a cobbler or blacksmith, go to Medieval Times. My cobbler has been doing this for over 50-years. He didn't go to school for this nor recommends it to anyone pursuing it as a career. Also, this is a form of outsourcing as the main profits go into Canada. The product is sold and distributed mainly for North America & other countries on the premise that you're purchase is for a cause. Why not establish this same movement in North America where the unemployment rate is hovering around 7.5%? Because it provides a sense of sympathy while the underlying fact is that you can sell the same product at a fraction of the price for manufacturing cost(s). Plus, helping Ethiopians looks better than helping John & Jane Smith...

Also, I agree. The designs are nice, but the actual product is okay/alright. I bought the product not to donate or to show support as I don't need toys or a return to help the world, but because I actually liked the footwear...
/ short essay

Last edited:
Really, it just looks like you guys want some form of justification for your purchases and/or future purchases while you're truly just receiving an incentive for your "donation", "support", etc.. As I said, I've been told that this operation just puts more of a workload on those already with existing manufacturing jobs. Yes, cobbling is a skill, but its not a life skill. This is 2013. Cobbling is now more so a hobby or tradition that can be used for profit as there are very few cobblers that use traditional techniques as a form of livelihood. You want a cobbler or blacksmith, go to Medieval Times. My cobbler has been doing this for over 50-years. He didn't go to school for this nor recommends it to anyone pursuing it as a career. Also, this is a form of outsourcing as the main profits go into Canada. The product is sold and distributed mainly for North America & other countries on the premise that you're purchase is for a cause. Why not establish this same movement in North America where the unemployment rate is hovering around 7.5%? Because it provides a sense of sympathy while the underlying fact is that you can sell the same product at a fraction of the price for manufacturing cost(s). Plus, helping Ethiopians looks better than helping John & Jane Smith...

Also, I agree. The designs are nice, but the actual product is okay/alright. I bought the product not to donate or to show support as I don't need toys or a return to help the world, but because I actually liked the footwear...
/ short essay

I also like the footwear. I wouldnt buy if i didn't. The company mission statement is an added bonus. If i had big money I'd just donate. I know there many people who are what you described in your essay but so what? As long as all three parties get what they want then it shouldn't matter. I still get your frustrations though.

That answers nothing. That's just a regurgitation of their "mission" statement in an interview format that's plastered all over their website. If the premise of this company is to create jobs, wouldn't you show/promote a progression in created jobs from 2011, 2012, etc.? Considering we're nearing the 2nd half of 2013, there should be some statistic, no? It would certainly raise awareness to a company founded on this principle. Just buy the shoes already and feel like you made a "difference". Not really going to change my mind on an inferior product and TOMS spin-off. There's a reason why these can be had for 50% off...

That answers nothing. That's just a regurgitation of their "mission" statement in an interview format that's plastered all over their website. If the premise of this company is to create jobs, wouldn't you show/promote a progression in created jobs from 2011, 2012, etc.? Considering we're nearing the 2nd half of 2013, there should be some statistic, no? It would certainly raise awareness to a company founded on this principle. Just buy the shoes already and feel like you made a "difference". Not really going to change my mind on an inferior product and TOMS spin-off. There's a reason why these can be had for 50% off...
I think you're putting more emphasis on making a difference than I am.  I just think they're approach is more productive than TOMS.

You do raise a valid point about the stats. Something worth looking into.  You also have more experience with the product, but I still want to try it for myself.

^I'm merely just answering your post(s) as it appears you want to back this company up through greater means. Their approach is, in theory, more productive, but it's easy to stem-off something preexisting (TOMS) and declare greater intentions. That's nice & all, but I'd like to see their goal come into fruition. From what I'm seeing, the company currently looks stagnant as there appears to be a surplus of available product. Could it be not enough awareness? Could it be that this sales tactic/pitch simply doesn't work? There's a lot of other questions that necessarily don't favor this company...

^I'm merely just answering your post(s) as it appears you want to back this company up through greater means. Their approach is, in theory, more productive, but it's easy to stem-off something preexisting (TOMS) and declare greater intentions. That's nice & all, but I'd like to see their goal come into fruition. From what I'm seeing, the company currently looks stagnant as there appears to be a surplus of available product. Could it be not enough awareness? Could it be that this sales tactic/pitch simply doesn't work? There's a lot of other questions that necessarily don't favor this company...
I think it's mostly awareness.   I haven't seen them run adds, run propaganda about their mission statement, or try to gain any press since their founding.  Perhaps theyre doing it elsewhere? Maybe in Africa or Europe?  I dunno what's goin on with them but what I can find (most of which is at least a year old).

Back
Top Bottom