Official North Carolina @ Kentucky Post (12/1, 2:00 ET on ESPN2)

These two programs have combined for 3,871 wins, 74 Conference Championships, 29 Final Fours, and 11 National Titles.

Since this series was renewed in 2001, UK leads 4-3 with UNC winning the last 3.
UK hopes to extend UNC contract

By Brett Dawson
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The basketball bond between the University of Kentucky and North Carolina isn't likely to end anytime soon.

But contractually, their bond expires on Saturday.

The Wildcats and Tar Heels - linked by their on-court success as the two winningest programs in Division I basketball history - will play at Rupp Arena on Saturday, the final meeting under their current contract.

If UK gets its way, the end of the current deal won't be the end of the series.

"It's been a great series and we've got a great relationship with them, so we'll continue talking," said Rob Mullens, UK's deputy director of athletics, whose responsibilities include basketball scheduling. "We talk pretty frequently with them."

The Cats and Tar Heels have played the last six seasons. The current contract is a two-year deal that followed the initial four-year contract for an alternating home-and-home series.

Mullens said he anticipates another contract "unless something gets in the way."

"You never know what's going to come up, but I think both programs enjoy the series," Mullens said. "It gets the right play at the right time."

Timing could be an issue as the programs go forward. In all but two years of the current six-year series, the game has been played on the first Saturday in December.

That date might not be as appealing in the future, if CBS keeps the Southeastern Conference football championship game in the afternoon, where it moves this season. That game had been played at night on CBS, giving UK-Carolina a daytime slot to tip off that network's college basketball season.

This year, the Cats and Heels will play at 2 p.m. on ESPN2.

This game could get ugly
ohwell.gif
. We looked terriblethe other night and we continue to turn the ball over. Patterson and Crawford have played well, but not having Meeks and Jasper is killing us. We'll haveto play a perfect game to get this "W."

Hopefully Ty Lawson stays healthy and takes control of this game, pushes the ball. We really missed him last night. We seriously got maybe 4 or 6 points intransition on a fast break.
I'm working at 1:30 CT on Saturday so I won't be able to watch it.
ohwell.gif

Hopefully UNC comes out on top.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Yo.....

Bobby Fraysor is looking SUSPECT out there for the Heels....

Yeah, last night he did. But...didn't everyone that stepped out on the floor for both teams? No one could make a shot in the first half, and then OhioState goes 11 minutes without scoring a basket
eek.gif

I doubt Lawson plays this game. Roy said that he only did about 25% of practice yesterday and wasn't at full speed. If he's not at 100% he'llsit, it's not worth the risk of reaggravating the injury and being out even longer like what happened to Frasor last year. I'd rather us win ugly oreven lose without him now, than to not have him during conference play.

wildKYcat hows Meeks been lookin? I played against dude in hs and havent even been lookin for him
ohwell.gif

I hope the heels win. If Lawson ain't ready no point in playing him. This isn't college football so at this point in the season the rankings areirrelevant

I gotta pull for Kentucky. I grew up in Southern Indiana as a Wildcat fan. I then moved to VA for school (George Mason), and now I am surrounded by UNC andPuke fans. My brother, who still lives in Indiana, and is a UNC fan, was able to get a ticket to tommorows game from his friends dad.

Originally Posted by IYE2

wildKYcat hows Meeks been lookin? I played against dude in hs and havent even been lookin for him
ohwell.gif
he had a great freshman year. he's the best athlete on the team. he had 27 points in the first half of our first exhibition game this year(finished with 34.) this was thought to be his break-out season, but now he's out at least 5 more weeks with a stress fracture in his pelvicarea.
frown.gif

KENTUCKY (4-1)
vs No. 1/2 North Carolina (6-0)

Saturday, Dec. 1 • 2:00 p.m.
Lexington, Ky. - Rupp Arena (23,000)
TV: ESPN2
Live Stats | Live Audio
Kentucky hosts top-ranked North Carolina Saturday in a matchup of college basketball's two winningest programs. The Wildcats (1,952 wins) and Tar Heels(1,920) are in a race to become the first school with 2,000 all-time victories.

Carolina leads the all-time series between the two schools, 19-10, and has won the last three meetings. This is the eighth-straight year UK and UNC haveplayed, with UK holding a 4-3 edge in that time. The two have split 10 previous games in Lexington.

UK, 4-1, is led offensively by senior Joe Crawford (17.8, 7th in the SEC) and freshman Patrick Patterson (15.8, tied for 8th in SEC). Patterson, who alsoleads UK in rebounding at 8.8 rpg (3rd in SEC), is one of just two players to rank among the SEC's top 10 in both points and rebounds.

UNC is led by Tyler Hansbrough (21.3 ppg and 9.3 rpg).

CAT SCRATCHES
  • Kentucky is in its 105th season of basketball.
  • Kentucky is the all-time NCAA leader in wins with 1,952.
  • UK is 2-1 against North Carolina in Rupp Arena; 5-5 against the Heels in Lexington.
  • The Wildcats lead the SEC in scoring defense (53.0), field goal percentage defense (.324) and threepoint field goal defense (.234).
  • Kentucky is shooting 75 percent (64-85) from the free throw line, which leads the SEC.
  • Patrick Patterson has three double-doubles, the second-highest total in the SEC.
  • Joe Crawford needs 11 points to become UK's 54th member of the 1,000-point club, while Ramel Bradley is 87 points shy of 1,000.
  • Once again, every Wildcat basketball game will be televised live, including UK's two exhibition games. UK is on CBS seven times, ESPN/ESPN2 nine times, ESPNU twice, FSN South five times and Lincoln Financial Sports six times.
NC coach 'skeptical' about Lawson playing UK

By Brett Dawson
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal

LEXINGTON, Ky. - North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams said he's "more skeptical" today than earlier this week about the possibility of starting point guard Ty Lawson playing tomorrow against the University of Kentucky.

Lawson missed the No. 1-ranked Tar Heels' win on Wednesday at Ohio State with a sprained right ankle. He suffered that injury in the early minutes of a win last Saturday against BYU and sat for the last 38 minutes of that game.

Lawson said after the Ohio State game that he "definitely" would play against UK.

"He ain't the boss," Williams said on a conference call today. "He's got to convince me that he can."

Williams said Lawson went through "about 25 percent" of yesterday's practice and wasn't at full speed.

"If he's not close to 100 percent, I'm not going to play him," Williams said. "If I see him limping around at practice today, I think that would probably mean he's not going to play tomorrow."

In five games, Lawson is averaging 10.6 points and 4.8 assists per game.

Damn Tayshaun was on fire, but Go Heels lets get this win today. Is Lawson playing?

My god, I forgot how bad Carolina was that year.
sick.gif
We just need to get itdone today, plain and simple.

Ty Lawson is in the starting lineup.

do anybody think quentin thomas have a future in basketball after North Carolina? overseas or something?

Originally Posted by friscostylez

do anybody think quentin thomas have a future in basketball after North Carolina? overseas or something?

No way.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

*sigh*

See, what had happened was...
we start a damn walk-on...Michael Porter is terrible and should never play more than 10 minutes (that should change when/if Meeks and Jasper getback)...two starters are out with injuries...Patterson has no help down low. NONE. ZERO. (still plays great, though)...Crawford is forced to score since Meeksis out...we are CARELESS with the ball (19 turnovers)...we weren't aggressive (ZERO FT attempts in the first half)...played fairly good D, but lazy D (UNCshot 34 FT's)...Alex Legion doesn't play D or else he'd actually play (which would help Crawford and PP)...and UNC is very good.

ohwell.gif
gotta be somewhat patient with a team that goes thru a coachingchange, though.

Wayne Ellington will drop 30......

will he?

Back
Top Bottom