Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story out now about this fight is that Alex Ariza was seen in between the 11th and 12th rd of the fight giving Maidana what appeared to be smelling salts which is banned in boxing in the state of Texas. Lol which means Broners camp could try and get the fight ruled a no contest amd the L taken off his record.
The "napkins," he explained, were pieces of gauze. "Maidana wanted to blow his nose," Ariza explained. So, that's what he did, he stated. And did he put anything in Maidanas' mouth? "No, of course not," he said. "People like to make drama. It was nothing. We shouldn't take away from the fighters' performance. He did all the work. We didn't do anything illegal."

And yes, I also asked about employment of a smelling salts sort of chemical. No, Ariza said, he didn't do anything of the sort. (I also noted, when watching the tape, that he used the same gauze to wipe the nose, and then the eye of Maidana, which I would think would lessen the likelihood that there was some sort of inhalant on the gauze, unless there's some inhalant one could use that wouldn't interfere with the tear duct.)

Maidana was tested in his locker room after the bout, Ariza said. USADA administered the test, which included a blood and urine sample, Ariza told me. And will he pass? "Yes, of course," Ariza said.

source: http://www.thesweetscience.com/news...at-he-slipped-energizer-into-mouth-of-maidana
I haven't seen a video from the fight of the napkin, just the video Freaky posted.  What do you guys think?
nerd.gif

[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Richard Schaefer on Mayweather Vs. Pacquiao[/h1]
"The fact is I have no interest whatsoever to work with Bob Arum. We don't need Bob Arum. He has nothing left, and you know, we just don't need to deal with the guy. I have absolutely no interest in that. ... Manny Pacquiao at this point for Floyd Mayweather isn't an opponent, and I'm not going to talk about that because it's not going to happen. I have no interest to deal or talk about Bob Arum."

source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...wont-happen-says-golden-boys-richard-schaefer
Well, it was cool while it lasted
frown.gif
.  I know Floyd would make easy work of Pacquiao at this point, but Pacquiao in his current form is still better than Khan
mean.gif

Last edited:
It's common knowledge that boxers should not blow their nose because it causes the nose and eyes to swell. So the verdict is still out.

Floyd my guy but im confused...

He keeps pointing out pacman is 1-2 in his last 3 fights but Khan recent record isnt any better.

He also pointed out pacman fought a less experieced younger fighter in rios but canelo was, despite his unusually high # amount of fights, pretty young as well.

But man idk who he fights next. Guessing khan though.

Wanna hear his thoughts on broner

It didn't even look like Maidana was blowing his nose. Ariza obviously put something in the napkin too. I mean smelling salts wake you up right...is that the only benefit to using them?

Maybe they needed the smelling salt to wake him up......from that illegal shot Broner took after the bell prior? This is a joke. As much holding, pushing, and antics as Broner pulled that's the last thing they should be worried about.

Maybe they needed the smelling salt to wake him up......from that illegal shot Broner took after the bell prior? This is a joke. As much holding, pushing, and antics as Broner pulled that's the last thing they should be worried about.

Right now, his fans are looking for any excuse. No such thing as innocent until proven guilty where Ariza is involved unfortunately.

I didn't want to get into the smelling salts discussion to take anything away from El Chino's victory but after looking at the video closely....there might be something there.

Even Maidana curiously looks down at the napkin after it's put to his face, then he inhales deeply and his eyes open up wide. He looked gassed in the middle rounds and Broner began connecting accurately, I was surprised that he was able to muster the strength to continue and pull out the second knockdown.

Don't see any nose blowing taking place only inhalation.

Shady stuff.

Last edited:
That's a little too much Devil's Advocate, no? :lol: if I was Garcia, I would have been fuming at the ref too. Especially after all that Broner got away with. Most folk are saying it looks like he blew his nose. We'll see. Hopefully it doesn't taint this win.

I think people are blowing this way out of portion. If you look closely, Ariza has cotton swabs in his hand. Some people were claiming those were the "salts". Then again, this is boxing so nothing surprises me.

This should not be a distraction to the great performance Maidana put on against Andre Broner. He made Adrien Berto look regular last night.

why can't pacquiao and mayweather just fight for f*** sakes 
mad.gif

give the boxing fans a fight they wanna see, i think we all deserve it smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom