NY Recommendations from a TO perspective.

What's good fam...

I'm looking to go the big apple sometime during the summer, possibly in June.

Thing is were looking to fly out of Buffalo to JFK. The idea is to "backpack" New York for a week or just a few days.

Why fly? Were hoping to catch stand-by seats or red-eye flights for cheap.

Where's a good place to stay within the city and relatively cheap? These girls are cool, they don't want to take a bus or drive, but are willing tostay in a hostel.
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Any advice on the above would be cool..

I'll end up properly read sufu too if anything.

Yo man,
Me and my friends looking to hit up NYC this summer too or Miami.

FYI, megabus.com (free bus from Toronto to Buffalo, I think) and $2.00-15.00 (one way) (from Toronto to NYC). $2.00 tickets depend on the date of the bus.

My friend was looking at some flights from buffalo. ~$200 around trip.

Last time I went, two christmas' ago, me and my fam stated in the Marriott in teaneck and just bussed into the city, ~100 US a night for 2 doubles. 10 minbus ride to Port Authority (~10 min walk to Times Square, I think).

cya.

Where would you want to stay?

Downtown? SoHo? Uptown?

I stayed at a really cheap place called the Salisbury. It's on 57th and is a block a way from the Park. Nice rooms, free breakfast.

There's a bunch of "hostel" like places in SoHo that I remember seeing, but never looked into them.

SuFu is probably you're best bet, though.

My friends would like to stay downtown, around times square preferably. Through expedia she was mentioning $400 for a round trip including a place to staywhich I forgot the place of.

TrueBlues, did you just google everything? Did you read up on SuFu? I saw some hostel stuff on there before too. But I'm sketchy about a hostel, but gofigure when your so used the Holiday Inn when your with the immediate fam.
laugh.gif

Thanks guys. I'll post up what we end up doing. Just wanted to get a feel for prices. It's plan in the works.

I went to NYC last summer...

-I drove 2 hours to Buffalo's airport, it only cost $40 for the week to park there. Round trip flight to NYC cost like $170 in high season (summer timeobviously). Flight was only 45 minutes or so to LaGuardia.

-You dont need a hotel "downtown", the subway there is 100x better than Toronto, you can get to Times Square from anywhere in Manhattan in like 10minutes by subway.

-Cheap hotels are like $90 a night but you have to share a washroom with the rest of the floor. Decent 3 star hotels are like $150+ a night. Be careful withyour credit card, a month after leaving my CC got frauded, I'm guessing by hotel employees. The idiots racked up like $1000 worth of gas and groceries inNew Jersey, luckily I got it all cleared up in a couple of days.

Places to visit in Manhattan:
-Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Central Park (amazing place to visit), NBA store. There's a million things to do over there, it makes Toronto seem likeNunavut
laugh.gif

Dont waste your time with the Empire State building, complete waste of money and you have to spend literally 1.5 hours going through security check points.

Im headed to NY this summer too jus for a weekend or thursday-monday sorta deal

I was wondering what are some places to shop at besides the obvious ones, shoes clothes whatever names and addresses, ive never been to NY before so it mightseem like a stupid question to ask, but it would help me out thanx NT

everything you want is in Soho...if u get a chance grab a bus to Woodbury Commons Outlet, place is off the charts. Don't look like a tourist and you'llbe straight
smile.gif

The best deals on the net for NYC hotels are at NYC's official website, www.nyc.com

If you want to stay right in the city, there are a couple of hotels that you can get pretty good deals at:

1. Days Broadway... a Days Hotel located at 94th street & Broadway on the Upper West Side. If the current rates aren't the best, keep checking nyc.com,they change often. You can usually get rooms at Days Broadway for around $120-$160 per night. Not bad for a hotel right in Manhattan. It's not exactly ThePlaza, but it's a 2 star hotel that is clean and comfortable.

2. Newton Hotel. Right around from the Days. Similar to the Days Hotel price-wise and quality-wise.

3. Park Savoy on 58th street. Not as nice as the previous two, but a bit cheaper and right in the heart of midtown.

If anyone needs any tips on where to shop for sneakers, let me know. My grandfather lives in Manhattan, so I go 5-10 times a year and am very familiar with thecity.

Sean

Do you guys know of any cheap motels in Manhattan? I dont care if its dirty I just need a place to sleep on friday and saturday night.

Back
Top Bottom