NT whats the best way to learn driving on a 4 speed??

So I'm about to pick up a muscle car without ever driving stick before.  How am I gonna  learn to drive this ride?  My one friend said get a honda civic caliber rental for a few days, beat it up a bit and go from there.  He says it's not gonna be anywhere close to the hurst shifter in my ride, but its a start to say the least..  Any advice on where to go for a lesson or something?

So I'm about to pick up a muscle car without ever driving stick before.  How am I gonna  learn to drive this ride?  My one friend said get a honda civic caliber rental for a few days, beat it up a bit and go from there.  He says it's not gonna be anywhere close to the hurst shifter in my ride, but its a start to say the least..  Any advice on where to go for a lesson or something?

As far as driving stick its actually fairly simple even-though its overwhelming at first.

Just have a friend with a manual car teach you, pretty much what i did had two of my friends give me a quick lessons when they were free.

Also it doesnt hurt to check out some vids on youtube get some basic understanding, it helped me
pimp.gif

As far as driving stick its actually fairly simple even-though its overwhelming at first.

Just have a friend with a manual car teach you, pretty much what i did had two of my friends give me a quick lessons when they were free.

Also it doesnt hurt to check out some vids on youtube get some basic understanding, it helped me
pimp.gif

basically what he said... experience is the only teacher... RIP to your clutch tho

Learn with a friend, I don't know of a place where you can learn and if there was I'm guessing it would be quite expensive.

Definitely practice on a beater first though, you don't want to trash your new car's transmission just cause you don't know how to use it.

*takes notes too*

Learn with a friend, I don't know of a place where you can learn and if there was I'm guessing it would be quite expensive.

Definitely practice on a beater first though, you don't want to trash your new car's transmission just cause you don't know how to use it.

*takes notes too*

basically what he said... experience is the only teacher... RIP to your clutch tho

Seems harder than it really is. But like others have said practice on a beater before you drive your new car.

Seems harder than it really is. But like others have said practice on a beater before you drive your new car.

i learned how to drive in stick. My dads car was stick so that was my only choice. Didn't drive an automatic until almost a year into driving. It was so embarrassing because I didn't know how to put the car in D because of the shifter lock.

I cant see myself ever buying an automatic. I live in NYC and i'd drive everywhere. People say its annoying in traffic but its a 2nd habit for me.

i learned how to drive in stick. My dads car was stick so that was my only choice. Didn't drive an automatic until almost a year into driving. It was so embarrassing because I didn't know how to put the car in D because of the shifter lock.

I cant see myself ever buying an automatic. I live in NYC and i'd drive everywhere. People say its annoying in traffic but its a 2nd habit for me.

Spend a little time using the clutch and shifting through the gears before you turn the car on. Lots of people underestimate the resistance of the clutch pedal and have a hard time getting the shifter in the proper gear.

Spend a little time using the clutch and shifting through the gears before you turn the car on. Lots of people underestimate the resistance of the clutch pedal and have a hard time getting the shifter in the proper gear.

laugh.gif
i actually drove my first stick shift today. Wasn't bad at all.

really helped. I practiced with my friends jetta in a parking structure at school (It was empty since it's Saturday). Drove it in the street as well.

First gear is a #%##$ though. Stalled on me like 10 times because i either let go of the clutch too early without giving it gas or vice versa. About to cop my stick shift as well.

Good luck to you OP

laugh.gif
i actually drove my first stick shift today. Wasn't bad at all.

really helped. I practiced with my friends jetta in a parking structure at school (It was empty since it's Saturday). Drove it in the street as well.

First gear is a #%##$ though. Stalled on me like 10 times because i either let go of the clutch too early without giving it gas or vice versa. About to cop my stick shift as well.

Good luck to you OP

watched my cousin drive his car then watched one of those stupid youtube vids (really worked). Went to pick up the car and drove it home. stalled out but it helps you learn. Idk how much power tht car has and how much sensitive the clutch is but i didnt even need a new clutch on my car after learning on it and teaching my girl. good luck

Back
Top Bottom