NT, What are Your Experiences with Taking a Job Offer vs. Continuing Your Job Search?

Why did you take one of the first offers you received or why did you choose to explore other options instead? Any pointers on making a decision?

In hindsight, was it the right decision?

Took the offer because I was unemployed. Toiled away miserably at the job for 1 year.

Left for a better job. No idea what's next.

"Life is simple: you make choices and don't look back."

Last edited:
Never turn down sure things for maybes.

Take a job offer AND continue your search, you can quit the next day if you want you owe them nothing and they wouldn't hesitate to fire you if they needed to.

I took one of the first offers I received because I knew long term it would pay off, and last year it did. Even while having that job once I was continously looking and trying to get better things and I even got a promotion and changed departments only to quit a month later.

Even if it didn't work out the way it did for me I would have considered it the right decision. There are few reasons I could have thought of where me saying no to a job offer would be a good decision.

During my job search post initial employment I've had to turn down offers and it was 100% compensation driven.

Last edited:
I went through this recently. I took the job offer from company A only to receive another offer a few days later from company b after the second interview. Felt bad I withdrew my acceptance, however I dont owe them anything. Id suggest accept and keep looking

I'd also like to add that this job market is unforgiving and ruthless. I consider it one of the very few factors in life that truly humbles you.

If you get an offer that's close (but not totally what you want), take it and keep looking.

Employers want to see someone who's already employed and looking rather than someone who's unemployed. Don't give them a chance to wonder: "So why is this guy unemployed? Is he not good enough to get hired?"

Accepted an offer last week. Pay is lower than average but the position is a great oppurtunity to learn and enhance my resume. I dont have much experience in my field yet and its a great stepping stone.

Would rather be employed and looking than turning down jobs and unemployed like dude said before. My goal is to stay here for a year or so then look for a senior position at another company.

I recently took a job offer myself in my field of study. This is coming close to 4 years since I graduated. A couple of months after I graduated I took a job offer that would guarantee me employment for a couple years and would place me in a different position after if I wanted to stay in that field. During this time I was able to gain transferable skills and still continued my job search. As of last week I respectfully ended my short tenure with my then employer. Like antidope stated, you owe them nothing, and they would not hesitate to let you go.

Back
Top Bottom