NT car mechanics, do I have a legit beef ?

So I drop off my 2000 civic at the mechanic shop to get some work done to the exhaust. I tell him my driver window doesnt go up and down and to call me later to see much it cost to fix.

He calls me later and tells me the motor needs to be replaced and it's going to be $160 for the part and labor. I tell him to fix it and the next day the window comes out of place and doesnt go up and down correctly. I take it back to fix it and he has one of the guys fix it and the guy tells me it shouldn't come out of place again. The next day it happens again I take it back and he Saids the regulator needs to be replaced and I have to go to the auto glass place to do it.

Now I go to the auto glass place and he looks at it and the regulator is bent pretty bad. He hammers it to straighten it out and when he puts it back he Saids it isn't going in correctly. I go buy a regulator for the car and take it back to the auto glass place and now the new motor that the mechanic put in doesnt go into the regulator correctly. I go back to the place I bought the regulator from and he Saids the regulator is the correct part for the car. He even ordered the the 92-95 regulator to see if it was the same one that came in the car originally and it wasn't. So it's a regulator from only god knows what car.

So now I'm basically forced to buy a new regulator with the motor and it took the auto glass guy half hour to put it in.

Now I feel like I deserve a refund because...

A. He put a new motor into a regulator that wasn't suppose to be in the car in the 1st place.
B. the motor only fixed half the problem and I had to go somewhere else to get it done.
C. I'm not mad he ripped me off (he was trying to charge me $190 at first) but if your going to do something then do it right.

What do you guys think ?

They should refund your money. Not to be rude, but this situation should have never happened:smh:. If your window doesnt respond via switch, listen to see if you hear the motor engage. If so, it's the regulator. (common faliure). Vise versa. People should get to know their cars more. You would be amazed by how many mechanics are lazy/clueless

+1 on getting know your car better. Look online you should be able to find the service manual for your vehicle. I do all the work on my motorcycle, the damn labor rate at the dealer is 110/ hour .

Honestly with shop charges being as high as they are i would have attempted it myself prior to taking it in... worst case scenario you take it to the shop if you couldn't get it. I mean right now the damage is done so its either they correct it or refund you your money.

Plus how does a shop screw up installing a regulator? its not like they're riveted on in Honda like ford does, a few 10mm bolts and it should've been out :smh:

Let us know what happens

Last edited:
I think after the first **** up that was your red flag. You should have gone elsewhere. Seeing as you didn't do that though, they should refund your money.

:lol: I'm typing this on my iPad since I don't have a laptop at the moment. I'm way to lazy to fix the errors.

Looks like I'm getting my money back. He ordered the regulator with the motor . I thought he just ordered the motor. I told him the one I got from the parts place was nothing like the one he installed. He was trying to give me oil changes and some other stuff but I just wanted my money back. He wanted to charge me $75 for a Mobil 1 oil change. Car washes usually charge 60 here in NY and that's with 2 free washes.

Appreciate the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom