NFL Black QB's Barbershop Discussion

I had an interesting discussion with my barber about the state of black quarterbacks in the NFL. His argument was that the reason that many blackquarterbacks in the NFL failed to win a superbowl was because they can't handle the pressure. (The Doug Williams arguement was thrown out. He was garbageafter that superbowl win) He said that McNabb choked against the Patriots. He stated that many of us don't practice, feel like we can win based on puretalent, and choke when pressure is on us.

I felt that he made a lot of good points but I argued that many of the black quarterbacks in the NFL don't have the weapons that their white counterpartshave. For example, almost everyone came to a conclusion that Mike Vick was never going to be an accurate quarterback but when compared to the quarterbacks whoare accurate they have legitimate threats at the WR positions and have a great line. So when Vick had great games passing people felt that he "luckedup" those stats. I also said that the number of black quarterbacks that came through the NFL are significantly less than white quarterbacks so the marginfor error is greater.

What do you think?

Mike Vick's accuracy had nothing to do with who his WRs were. Roddy White is putting up some pretty good numbers this year. Vick can't hit anybody inthe hands with a pass.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Mike Vick's accuracy had nothing to do with who his WRs were. Roddy White is putting up some pretty good numbers this year. Vick can't hit anybody in the hands with a pass.
Bad argument.

New coaching scheme, new plays etc. all contributed to Roddy's progress.

You can't tell me that Joey can pass better than Vick. Roddy was shoddy last year and this year (because of better coaching) he has the wide receiver coachthat use to coach the bengals wide outs. Enough said.

And having a "taller, more accurate and articulate" quarterback doesn't make you a playoff contender. Look at the falcons this year. They aregarbage because that whole team was Vick. They never surrounded him with weapons at the time.

mv7 does not get enough credit as a passer. he was capable of threading the needle, and throws the longest and best deep ball in the nfl.

and if you wanna make an arguement ab roddy white's stat surge what ab crumplers dramatic drop off?

Originally Posted by J RAIN 23

mv7 does not get enough credit as a passer. he was capable of threading the needle, and throws the longest and best deep ball in the nfl.

and if you wanna make an arguement ab roddy white's stat surge what ab crumplers dramatic drop off?
That's true (in bold).

I seen too many times this year qb's overthrowing their receivers.

randall cunningham was the greatest
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by J RAIN 23

alien.gif
In case you haven't noticed, Crumpler has been hurt almost theentire season.

As for Harrington, dude is completing over 60% of his passes this year. Last year Vick was at 52.6%.

I think it has alot to do with how the players are brought up. Most of the black Qb's played other pos. when they were younger whereas the white Qb'shave been playing that pos. since day one. You think Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were playing wideout in high school? I dobut it but i bet Mike Vick and VinceYoung were. Thats not the sole reason but it has something to do with it.

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

I think it has alot to do with how the players are brought up. Most of the black Qb's played other pos. when they were younger whereas the white Qb's have been playing that pos. since day one. You think Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were playing wideout in high school? I dobut it but i bet Mike Vick and Vince Young were. Thats not the sole reason but it has something to do with it.
You think schools like VaTech and Texas are going to recruit QB's that played WR in high school? Those boys played QB from an early age, becauseyou put your best athlete at QB when you're younger, they just happened to stay there because they had great arms. Alotta pocket QB's didn't playQB when they were younger because they were too unathletic to play the position of QB. I can tell you've never played football when you were young.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

I think it has alot to do with how the players are brought up. Most of the black Qb's played other pos. when they were younger whereas the white Qb's have been playing that pos. since day one. You think Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were playing wideout in high school? I dobut it but i bet Mike Vick and Vince Young were. Thats not the sole reason but it has something to do with it.
You think schools like VaTech and Texas are going to recruit QB's that played WR in high school? Those boys played QB from an early age, because you put your best athlete at QB when you're younger, they just happened to stay there because they had great arms. Alotta pocket QB's didn't play QB when they were younger because they were too unathletic to play the position of QB. I can tell you've never played football when you were young.

I played football for 15 years brotha and when I started I was told that I was too"fast" to play QB so i had to play DB. Same goes for mybrother, a better passer then anyone else on the field, was too "tall" and was told he'd make a better wideout. Do your Homework my friend if utake all the black qb's in the NFL today i bet more than half will say thats not their original pos. I can tell you don't kno as much as u thought udid.

K8be wan Kenobi wrote:

both played QB in HS... as a QB Young was the MVP in the Army All-American game a couple years ago, that's how he was recruited as a QB to a powerhouse football program. i watched some of it myself.� your post is full of stereotypes, i'm not gonna bother dissecting them. but dont buy into the impressions the media gives you.

�your rite it is full of stereotypes. So is the NFL, the NCAA and pop warner football leagues across the country. and thats 2 examples. What about peoplelike Antwan Randell El?

wrong. you don't take high school wide recievers or w/e and make them into QB's when they get to college or the NFL. it's the other wayaround..

first off the majority of starting QBs are white. therefore the possibility that a black QB win a superbowl is lower than there counterparts.

race doesnt matter when u are on the field....just performance

I agree that Joey is a better passer then Mike Vick, I am no Vick fan by any means but living in GA I was forced to watch falcon games for a long time and thisdude has never had a WR with hands...I don't know where White learned to catch like he has this year but them dudes were dropping everything the pastcouple seasons and Jenkins imo is the worst WR in the L by far...Vick does make bad throws but it wasn't like the majority of balls he threw were horrible

Good looking on the that video K8be wan Keno. Im from around the area where Vick played high school football and he has always been quarterback. He has neverplayed any other position. Thats why I shake my head at this talk of him playing another position like defensive back if he comes back to the league. QB is allhe knows.

Originally Posted by EvansST

His argument was that the reason that many black quarterbacks in the NFL failed to win a superbowl was because they can't handle the pressure.

What do you think?
Might I direct your attention to my my name and avy. Before this mans reign as Heavyweight Champ, the same thing was being said about Blackfighters. They, White racists and their cohorts, would state that Black Men were born with a "yella streak", therefore not being able to handlepressure coming from a tough White counterpart.

This, meaning that the Black male mindset was "weak".

Now I want you to compare that frame of thought to what your Barber stated, and then consider if you need to find a new one.

Anybody saying Joey is a better passer than Vick is a fool. I've seen falcons games for the last 3 years and i've never in my life seen so many droppedballs.

Originally Posted by EvansST

He stated that many of us don't practice, feel like we can win based on pure talent, and choke when pressure is on us.

this is embarassing to read, if you believe this you've already lost

Back
Top Bottom