NBA All Defensive Team (All Time)

This is my opinion on an all defensive NBA team (up to 15 players) all time with all of these player's in their defensive primes......you can come up withyour own teams as well......(note this is not meant to be a player/team A > player/team B thread)

Starters:

PG: Gary Payton
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Bill Russell
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

Bench:

Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'Neal
Joe Dumars
David Robinson
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
John Stockton
Dennis Rodman
Michael Cooper

Wasn't Russell a center?

I would put Rodman at the 4 and Russell at the 5.

The 123 you have is pretty tough to beat.

Don't know about Shaq being on that list though. He's never exactly been a defensive stopper - reasonable defender and shot blocker yes, all-time-greatdefender no. He's been on the All-Defensive second team 3 times but that's it - IMO to be a great defender you should have managed the first team inyour peak years.

You'd have to be foolish to remove Hakeem from the 5 bud. He played against some of the best centers ever and complied more blocks than anyone else not tomention his smothering post defense. Dude average 2 steals per game from the CENTER position. He has to be starting 5.

Steals =/= defense, but it should still be between Russell and Hakeem.

Russell would fare just fine at the 4.

Tim Duncan needs to be on that list, the very definition of a defensive anchor.

yeah, as much as I hate Duncan, hes going to have to be on that list somewhere. Even though its all time, he is going to be on that list.

I think the reason why Shaq should be on the list is because he effects how teams attack the basket so much more than people understand. I remember Jeff VanGundy saying that Shaq was the one player that every team had to adjust that much more to play against. I think the same concept would be put in when getting agameplan for O. Shaq is such a dominant force, even on D, that so many teams have to adjust that much more to play against.

That starting 5 looks pretty dang good to me, imagine having to play against that

That five would be nice.
eek.gif

G-Gary Payton
G-Michael Cooper
F-Pippen
F-Russell
C-Hakeem

Bench

Walt Frazier
Maurice Cheeks
Jordan
Michael Ray Richardson
Joe Dumars
Billy Cunnigham
Nate McMillian
Dennis Rodman
Charles Oakley
Mark Eaton
Wilt

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

You can't not have The Glove in your starting 5.
That's funny cause I just think I did. The fact that he's overhyped on NT cause he comes from the golden era of Nike shoes and that he robbedPippen of his DPOY in 96 won't change my opinion.

Drop Shaq for Eaton. Eaton was the anchor on three Jazz teams that make the top 25 all time defensive efficiency ratings. Shaq's defense is fat@%#* in thepaint. He's not nearly as good as Mark Eaton as a pure defender.

Also, the 92-93 and 93-94 Knick teams need to be represented. They were better as a unit, but these are the top 2 teams of all time on the defensive efficiencyratings.

Payton
Frazier
Bowen
Jordan
Artest
Pippen
Camby
Rodman
Morning
Hakeem

I left out Wilt and Russel cause we don't kno how many blocks they really had cuz it wasen't a stat back then.

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

I left out Wilt and Russel cause we don't kno how many blocks they really had cuz it wasen't a stat back then.

There was an article a long time ago about Russel's stats. And there was a man within the organization keeping track of stats. The man recorded thatRussel averaged (don't remember the exact number, but I know it was about) 13 blocks a game
eek.gif
. No ducktales
laugh.gif
, but seriously that was nuts when I read that.

Side not, I met the man, the legend, when i was younger
eek.gif
at just his presence alone.....and the fact he had 3 championship rings on
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

When you play the post position? Yes, this is the exception. If the ball doesn't get into the post he can;t score.

No Big Ben and no Mutombo?

I know. It's hard to leave these guys off. Ultimately, if you really want the best defenders of all time you will end up with a team of 8 centers.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Exactly right right there. That bench is pretty wack for all time. You are pretty much going by just the 90s. I agree with Payton being the best defensivePG of all time but you CAN NOT leave out Clyde Frazier,. Clyde is just behind Payton who is my favorite pg of all time. Clyde is just behind him in terms ofdefense and was a WAY better defender than Stockton. As much as i loved 90s bblall WAY too 90s orientated. Also Oakley should DEFINITLEY be on that list IMOand i would probably put Ewing on there as well, i think he was a better defender than the Admiral and DEFINITLY better than Shaq, who has always been a moreoofensive center, but in terms of D Ewing holds the upper edge by far.
Also Cooper should be ahead of Jordan and Duncan and Artest should be on somewhere.

But still Ewing should no question be on it. Especially since Shaq's on it. And there is no way Clyde should be off that list he could possibly be instarting 5 (either him or Glove)

EDIT: Amd where Eddy Curry??? No way he should be off
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom