My friend has no status in Canada and has a hearing this Wednesday with the government.

rocky437

Banned
 My friend is Mexican and him and his family came to Canada - to Fort Erie in 2002. They came by car from the States and filled out papers when they crossed the border. They went to the states from Mexico illegaly. They were in the US for six years. They stayed in Fort Erie for a month at a shelter then made connections and moved to Hamilton. They have no status in Canada but they have Mexican passports. Of course, they cannot leave Canada cuz then they wouldnt be allowed back in. For the past eight years they have formed a life here, they work and go to school. He goes to university and pays international fees. Their SIN have expiry dates. He has to apply for study permits to study. Recently, for the hearing, they have gathered letters from their workplaces and friends and volunteer places stating the families contributions and achievements. They are gonna give all these to the government.

Is it fair for them to leave Canada at this point, after being here for so long? why or why not? do you think theyll get kicked out?

Thanks guys, I just want some opinions or personal experiences.

Sounds like they're presenting humanitarian and compassionate grounds.  If it's a hearing, I take it that they're probably under a departure order by now.  How many of them are here?  8 years is quite awhile, so the establishment factor is there.  How old are the kids?  Best interests of the child(ren) is also a factor.  
Here's the thing about presenting humanitarian and compassionate considerations - you'd have to satisfy the officer/member that the hardships in leaving Canada/returning home are either unusual and undeserved (i.e. factors that were out of their control and not anticipated by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act), or disproportionate.  Each officer is different in how they assess these factors, but in general, the majority of these cases are refused.  

Yeah each of the family members recieved letters stating "order of removal". Theres 6 of them here. 4 kids and the parents. The kids' ages are 18,19,20, and 29.

Yea so at that hearing they had their passports taken. They were given "1-6 months". I take it that means the length of time until the decision is made. I guess if they are able to stay here then they must go back to the airport to pick up their passports. Its really lookin like their gone huh? Ill let you know once they actually get shipped out. 

Back
Top Bottom