My Book Readers, Is The Kindle A Sound Investment? Vol. Dilemma

I have been thinking about scooping up a Kindle here in the near future and wanted to get some feedback from those who own one, those who are against them, etc. 

1.) Is it worth the initial $150 (est.) price tag?

2.) Are there more viable options at a similar price point?

3.) For those who enjoy reading, do you miss purchasing/owning the paperback/hardcover? 

The 3rd question may be the biggest sticking point for me.  I know the digital age is in full swing but there is still that sentiment to having books on your shelf, being able to pick them back up and just looking smarter than you actually are when people see them.

I have been thinking about scooping up a Kindle here in the near future and wanted to get some feedback from those who own one, those who are against them, etc. 

1.) Is it worth the initial $150 (est.) price tag?

2.) Are there more viable options at a similar price point?

3.) For those who enjoy reading, do you miss purchasing/owning the paperback/hardcover? 

The 3rd question may be the biggest sticking point for me.  I know the digital age is in full swing but there is still that sentiment to having books on your shelf, being able to pick them back up and just looking smarter than you actually are when people see them.

last week there was a refurb nook for 85$ shipped on slickdeals

i think they are good for travel, and school that way you dont have to carry so many things

last week there was a refurb nook for 85$ shipped on slickdeals

i think they are good for travel, and school that way you dont have to carry so many things

I always felt that one of the biggest selling points was that you could store multiple books on one device, meaning if you're a student that is taking a few literature classes, you could have all your books for the entire semester in a 2 inch think device, rather than a bag full of heavy books...But if you're the type that reads a book at a time, I don't see how it would benefit you...The older classic books/plays like Shakespeare are cheap, but if you read new releases (which I assume you do) then the books are usually the same price.

Plus, if you like to read a lot and buy a book every week or 2, if you were to lose the book you're currently reading, you lose a $15 item..If you lost a Kindle full of books, you just lost $150 and if you don't buy a new one, just lost all the books on there that you paid for...Essentially, you only own those books forever if you keep the Kindle/Keep buying Kindle(s)[assuming they keep making newer models] but otherwise you eventually will lose those books

I always felt that one of the biggest selling points was that you could store multiple books on one device, meaning if you're a student that is taking a few literature classes, you could have all your books for the entire semester in a 2 inch think device, rather than a bag full of heavy books...But if you're the type that reads a book at a time, I don't see how it would benefit you...The older classic books/plays like Shakespeare are cheap, but if you read new releases (which I assume you do) then the books are usually the same price.

Plus, if you like to read a lot and buy a book every week or 2, if you were to lose the book you're currently reading, you lose a $15 item..If you lost a Kindle full of books, you just lost $150 and if you don't buy a new one, just lost all the books on there that you paid for...Essentially, you only own those books forever if you keep the Kindle/Keep buying Kindle(s)[assuming they keep making newer models] but otherwise you eventually will lose those books

Got it for X-Mas and I have nothing but good things to say.
If you're strictly reading books, then go with the Kindle.  It doesn't handle .pdf's well though.  

I find myself reading a lot more with the Kindle.

If you're strictly reading books, then go with the Kindle.  It doesn't handle .pdf's well though.  

Got it for my fiance for V-Day and she seems to be enjoying it a lot. No complaints at all.

Originally Posted by JUS3

this is a big though for me 
ohwell.gif

if your not about buying stuff online and just uploading and reading pdf's then the nook is the way to go i guess. 

ohwell.gif

if your not about buying stuff online and just uploading and reading pdf's then the nook is the way to go i guess. 

I know the Sony reader is good with .pdf's.  They also handle a lot more text formats then the Kindle.

I know the Sony reader is good with .pdf's.  They also handle a lot more text formats then the Kindle.

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

Interesting point, will keep this in mind.

This is part of my desire to purchase one.

How is the battery life? 

Reading @ night w/the backlight ever prove to be an issue or do you still find yourself reading w/the light on?

Got it for my fiance for V-Day and she seems to be enjoying it a lot. No complaints at all. 

Except that she goes out with you

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

Interesting point, will keep this in mind.

This is part of my desire to purchase one.

How is the battery life? 

Reading @ night w/the backlight ever prove to be an issue or do you still find yourself reading w/the light on?

Except that she goes out with you

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

ohwell.gif

That's part of my problem too - I read a lot and I either tend to get them from the library or the myriad of cheap second hand shops around here - I don't buy full price books often at all so can't justify spending all that on a device and then having to pay even $8 a book.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

ohwell.gif

That's part of my problem too - I read a lot and I either tend to get them from the library or the myriad of cheap second hand shops around here - I don't buy full price books often at all so can't justify spending all that on a device and then having to pay even $8 a book.

I definitely miss owning hard copies of books. I've resolved to buying books on my Kindle if its a novel or any other book where you read from start to finish. If you're reading a book that requires you to jump around or write in the margins (e.g. a technical book, a self improvement book) I would buy the hard copy because it's a pain in the *** to find pages on the Kindle. I think that is it's biggest downfall.

File this under "never would happen."  The Kindle is everywhere.  You can read download Kindle apps for your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry.. hell there's probably a rooted Nook that runs Kindle software.

I definitely miss owning hard copies of books. I've resolved to buying books on my Kindle if its a novel or any other book where you read from start to finish. If you're reading a book that requires you to jump around or write in the margins (e.g. a technical book, a self improvement book) I would buy the hard copy because it's a pain in the *** to find pages on the Kindle. I think that is it's biggest downfall.

File this under "never would happen."  The Kindle is everywhere.  You can read download Kindle apps for your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry.. hell there's probably a rooted Nook that runs Kindle software.

Originally Posted by Much Respected

it's a pain in the *** to find pages on the Kindle. I think that is it's biggest downfall.  
Could you expound on this?  You mean its difficult to skip pages or even go back pages if necessary?

Originally Posted by Much Respected

it's a pain in the *** to find pages on the Kindle. I think that is it's biggest downfall.  
Could you expound on this?  You mean its difficult to skip pages or even go back pages if necessary?

I can't speak about the Kindle, but I have a Nook Color and I love it.

For those of you complaining about the Kindle not handling .pdf flies well: I assume y'all are uploading the .pdf files from your computer. Download a program called Calibre. You can convert the .pdf file into your e-reader's default book format (I believe it is an ePub file).

Also, I have over 20 books on my Nook (mostly new releases). I've paid for one of them.
wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Kindle has a backlit unit yet. I think the cases for the Kindle come with a book light attached for night reading/reading in darker areas.

Back
Top Bottom