Moving to Cali, advice please?

Hey NT.  Right now I'm in the Chi looking forward to packing up and moving to Cali, more specifically LA or San Diego.  I've visited LA, but wasn't looking into their job market, housing, crime rate, etc at the time.  Being Asian, the immense Asian community was rather nice change of pace.  Don't know much about San Diego, however, I heard it was superb as well.  I have a degree but don't plan on venturing into that field (econ), yet, I'm open to taking any job off the back.  Was hoping to get some suggestions on which location your prefer.  In short, my plan is to drive west, find a temp sublet while looking for work.  Advice with all the mentioned above in mind?

good luck, it's hard to find a job here.. cali's economy is going down the hole.. i have a master's degree and been lookin for a job in so cal since last March... Best bet is so rent a room from someone, obviously the cheaper rooms are in areas that are more ghetto. Both SD and LA have many asians so you would fit right in. Don't really know what you're price range is so maybe posting that would help more.

my friends from sd prefer la, and my friends from la prefer sd.

personally, i would rather live in orange county which is local to the beaches, mountains, LA, and SD.

^^ no offense, but your friends mean nothing. only good thing in SD is TJ. and that's not even the same country anymore!!!

but the OC is kool too.

Haha. I'm getting mixed reviews.

I have enough saved to support myself for about half a year over there without a job. That is, if I can find a roommate or rent for around or under $1000. Hiking, beaches are important. Asian community is important. Jobs are very important.

I jumped ship and lived/worked in China for half a year. I don't know why moving to Cali seems more difficult to me, haha.

Originally Posted by wiredz3

Haha. I'm getting mixed reviews.

I have enough saved to support myself for about half a year over there without a job. That is, if I can find a roommate or rent for around or under $1000. Hiking, beaches are important. Asian community is important. Jobs are very important.

I jumped ship and lived/worked in China for half a year. I don't know why moving to Cali seems more difficult to me, haha.
Our Chinese population in LA isn't all that big...we have way, way more Koreans if that matters to you

Originally Posted by abstractability

good luck, it's hard to find a job here.. cali's economy is going down the hole..

i hope you have connects, cuz things are real expensive out here. i see you have a few months rent ready, but you also gotta think about everything else. youre gonna need a car out here too, public transportation isnt the greatest

wanna live by a bunch of chinese? you have a couple of options. chinatown or the alhambra area. rowland heights has a lot too. none are near the beach. you arent going to find many asian communities near the beach unless you live in the south bay or westminster.

If you want Chinese people, Rowland Heights/Diamond Bar/Walnut has them in spades. That's all in the 909, which is about 30 minutes from LA. There's a ton in Monterey Park too, as well as Arcadia. It's all about price range though; MPK is probably the cheapest area to live, while Diamond Bar/Arcadia are most likely the expensive.

You'll love LA though, trust...

Just move to Orange County near the beach and you will forget about living by Chinese people. That is assuming you are into hot girls of all races.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I've decided on choosing Orange County. Started looking into sublets and roommates. If anybody has or knows of a company looking to hire, please do let me know.

I have enough to support myself (rent, food, necessities ...pending a catastrophe) for about 4-6 months. Thanks for the advice and wish me luck!

See you around ...I'll be the dude rockin the Rose jersey.

Originally Posted by wiredz3

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I've decided on choosing Orange County. Started looking into sublets and roommates. If anybody has or knows of a company looking to hire, please do let me know.

I have enough to support myself (rent, food, necessities ...pending a catastrophe) for about 4-6 months. Thanks for the advice and wish me luck!

See you around ...I'll be the dude rockin the Rose jersey.
Whereabouts in the OC are you headed to?

I spent pretty much all of my youth and early adult life in the Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley/Westminster area so I am partial to that part of OC.  My parents recently moved to Irvine and its OK, but its no HB thats for sure.  I've been living in Santa Monica/W. LA for the last 5 years myself, and honestly... I wish I could move back to HB but due to the job and fiancee, its probably not going to happen anytime soon.

What type of work you trying to get into?  I dont have a lot of connects but maybe if youre looking in a field where I know someone I can point you in the right direction.

OC is a good spot indeed.....
but if you want a super active trendy nightlife, I would suggest LA area....  

what kind of work are you looking for?

i'm not a big fan of the OC, different lifestyle out there.

good luck on your move.

man im not asian but u would probably like cerritos(i live there) its a great city lots of asians but a clean rich city non the less

I understand Asian population and beach is important to you. I can guarantee once the initial novelty wears out, you will probably go to the beach less than 20x during the year. Heck, I love the beach, but I am so busy with other stuff and hate dealing with the parking, that I may go 10x a year.

Having said that, CA is probably not the best place to move to if you are starting out (looking for new job, finding new friends, etc). Depending on what you want to do, the job market is tough and living expenses are rather high. I know you are fore-warned and I wish you luck. Only reason why I came back was an incredible job opportunity and my family. Otherwise, I would have gone to Austin, Seattle, Phoenix or Portland before LA.

Since ur asian id say choose an asian suburb and talk to neighbors before you move into a neighborhood they'll be honest with you because at once time or another they were in your shoes. I say choose a suburb because you'll be close to everything but far from the gang life . Just keep in mind there's crime everywhere. Id reccomend torrance, gardena, pasadena. Those have larger asian communities. Stay away from watts, inglewood, dowtown, south la , south gate, compton is okay (only near the industrial area) its super cheap for obvious reasons... san pedro (where I'm from) is nice above certain streets, but very expensive. Oh and harbor city is okay. Wilmington is like little tijuana and kinda ghetto. Cheap too. Hit me up if u need help...

i agree with mecks 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Torrance
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i have family in Redondo
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

the South Bay >>>>> the OC

im in inglewood and inglewood is still considered the South Bay
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by doin90onthefreeway

i agree with mecks 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Torrance
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i have family in Redondo
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

the South Bay >>>>> the OC

im in inglewood and inglewood is still considered the South Bay
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
too many black people ~! *runs in circles*

lol. nahh its actually diverse but for someone thats not from around there they might be all scared. seriously lol

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

wheres that picture of Greeze at the summit?
laugh.gif

Inglewood is
pimp.gif

if u act right, no one is gunna mess with u
whether youre black, white, asian, or brown

Back
Top Bottom