Mike Shanahan hired as Head Coach of the Washington ********

jpzx

Supporter
[h1]Report: Shanahan, 'Skins strike a deal[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2010 7:51 PM ET
Well, it took a little longer than 114 minutes, but the ******** reportedly have a new coach.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the ******** and Mike Shanahan have reached an agreement in principle that makes Shanahan the replacement for Jim Zorn.

Klis also reports that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen will save $7 million over the next two years, but that Bowlen will still pay Shanahan $3.5 million in each of the next two seasons to not coach the Broncos.

We'd previously heard that Shanahan didn't have a 100-percent offset on his buyout; little did we realize it was only 50 percent.

Expect more details to emerge as the worst-kept secret in the NFL comes to fruition.
Not that this wasn't already known...but ink hit paper and there wasn't a topic.

Link

*crosses fingers* Shanahan please call Jeremy Bates and offer him a job *crosses fingers*

I miss him coaching the Broncos. Washington just got themselves a great coach.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

*crosses fingers* Shanahan please call Jeremy Bates and offer him a job *crosses fingers*
don't worry ironman, he's either gone to the ******** or bears... we all know about bates' secret affair with cutler
laugh.gif

An the3 Washington ******** reliance upon star power to influence football decisions continue. I don't think there is much proof that Mike Shanahan is thatgood of a coach post Elway and considering Bruce Allen is mainly a cap guy, that means Mike might as well be the GM. If I recall that didn't work out sowell for Denver.

I'm skeptical, but I will take glee watching the faces of my tortured DC/Maryland cousins, recoil at another failed star signing.
laugh.gif

Best of luck ******* fans.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

An the3 Washington ******** reliance upon star power to influence football decisions continue. I don't think there is much proof that Mike Shanahan is that good of a coach post Elway and considering Bruce Allen is mainly a cap guy, that means Mike might as well be the GM. If I recall that didn't work out so well for Denver.

I agree, but as a Cowboy fan, I don't like this.

He's obviously a much better HC than Jim Zorn.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

did Dan Snyder just say "@%%% a rooney rule"?

nah he interviewed a negro we already had on the staff to get around that
smh.gif

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

did Dan Snyder just say "@%%% a rooney rule"?

nah he interviewed a negro we already had on the staff to get around that
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
son that got me in tears

between how u put it and how he skirted the rule
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Florio @PFT....

this didn't even break on the Skins MB....just wait for a more credible source.

We all know it's inevitable, but with PFT, you gotta take what they say with a grain of salt

*edit*

Just broke on the Denver Post....it's done.

pimp.gif

Well hopefully we get rid of Portis this offseason (I've wanted to for awhile anyways, even though that's one more jersey I can't wear anymore
laugh.gif
)

Looks like we got a situation on our hands:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/*******sinsider/jason-campbell/campbell-fires-back-at-portis.html

Campbell fires back at Portis

Washington ******** quarterback Jason Campbell blasted Clinton Portis for his poor work ethic and lack of understanding about "what real leadership is," responding to Portis' comments earlier in the day about Campbell.

Campbell, selected one of six team captains by teammates the last two seasons, called out Portis for putting himself above the team and, in his opinion, an overall lack of professionalism Portis has exhibited in Campbell's five seasons in Washington.

"How is he going to say I'm not a leader?" Campbell said in a lengthy phone interview. "I mean, that's just not true. To me, that's somebody who shows that they don't know what a real leader is. A leader is not someone who leads by the wrong example. A leader is someone who is trying to do the right thing and trying to lead by example, and not just [being] about themselves. There's a reason guys get selected as captains, and there's a reason guys don't get selected as captains. Obviously, he doesn't have the respect of the locker room to be a captain. For someone to try to take a shot at me at the end of the season, after they haven't even been around, only speaks about their character anyways.

"There have been a lot of things I could have come out and said. But I never went out of my way to make those things known. I never wanted those things to leave the locker room because it's no one else's business. And for those things to be said, questioning my character and questioning my leadership, I think that's not the way to go, especially when you're supposed to be a team guy. Is that being a good teammate? If that's the case, why is no one questioning my leadership and everyone is questioning his work ethic? Everyone looks at that. I'm not going to get into an argument; I don't even like talking about stuff like this because it makes no sense and it doesn't help the team, but I'm going to speak my mind on it when this is what he's saying about me."

Portis's seemingly cozy relationship with owner Daniel Snyder has stirred resentment in the locker room because he rarely practices. Campbell is "not ready for that situation," Portis said of the quarterback's captaincy. "I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle and making sure, 'Oh, we do this and we do that.' But you go and vote Jason Campbell [as captain] -- you know Jason Campbell ain't go and tell the coach, 'Well, we need to do this or we need to do that,' or 'This is how the players want it.' The only person I think would do it is London Fletcher."

Campbell said the comment pointed to Portis' obliviousness to the facts, Campbell said.

"We [all the captains] do go to the coaches. It's not our fault if the coaches decide they're not going to [do what the captains suggest]," Campbell said. "But we have some guys who go above the coaches. And that's another problem. You have some players who are not team players.

"They don't do the things teammates do to help each other. And then at the end of the season, when it's been a hard season, you want to point fingers at other people because you're upset about your own shortcomings? You're upset because you get into it with your teammates because of what you do?"

During a 16-13 victory Oct. 4 over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Portis went to coaches in an effort to have Pro Bowl fullback Mike Sellers demoted for what Portis deemed to be poor blocking. Sellers eventually confronted Portis during a heated locker-room exchange in which no punches were thrown, team sources said, but Mike Sellers essentially told Portis his teammates did not respect him because of his me-first approach.

"Not one time have I come out and made any excuses about anything with my situation," Campbell said. "I never do anything to try to hurt my teammates. Some people need to stop being 'me' guys and start being 'we' guys. And another thing, and I want you to write this, too, how does he even know what's going on with our team?

"How's he [going to] question anything when for those four or five weeks before he was on IR [the season-ending injured-reserve list], he never even came around. He wasn't with us. He was never at practice. Who does he think was holding the offense together? He should go ask the coaches and the players if he wants to know. But he wasn't around to do that. He doesn't know anything about leadership."

Campbell said he was disappointed about airing private team matters in public, and especially frustrated that Portis would verbally attack him with the ******** apparently close to making a long-anticipated announcement that former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has been hired as their next head coach. This is not the type of thing Snyder, General Manager Bruce Allen and Shanahan need to be confronted with at a time like this, but Portis left him no choice, Campbell said.

"You've got guys out there working their butts off, guys out there practicing and doing everything they need to do to prepare for Sundays, and you see him over there getting special treatment," Campbell said of Portis. "What does that say about him? I go out, I get beat down on Sundays, and I still have to go out and practice and get ready for games. And that's what your supposed to do.

"If you're about your team and trying to help your team, if you're not about yourself, you deal with the pain and that's what you do. What makes it so different for others? I mean, this is what's wrong with our team. Instead of a guy coming to you if he has a problem, instead of going to talk to the person, you go speak out loud in public. How does that help? How does that help the team?"

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Good for JC, letting people know what's up.

[h2]Shanahan will receive five-year deal to coach ******** [/h2]
Posted: January 5th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Mike Shanahan, Washington ********

Mike Shanahan's deal to become the ********' coach will be for five years, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The ******** are prepared to introduce Shanahan on Wednesday afternoon, according to team sources, the final formality in a process that has been long ongoing.

Shanahan flew to Washington on Monday, at which time the sides already had a deal essentially in place for the former Broncos coach to replace Jim Zorn, who was fired right after returning from the final game of the season.

Shanahan will bring his son, Kyle, from Houston to be offensive coordinator, and the ******** will be prepared to interview Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer for that position this weekend should Cincinnati lose at home to the Jets in an AFC wild-card playoff game, according to a league source.

Adam_Schefter

The ******** will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. Wednesday to introduce Mike Shanahan as their next head coach.

Adam_Schefter

Shanahan will team with general manager Bruce Allen but have ultimate authority on football decisions.

Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Mike Shanahan signed a five-year contract with the ********. Becomes head coach and Exec VP of football operations.

Proud of my dude J Campbell for holding his own. Shame on CP for trying to air out a fellow brother, especially a quarterback. It's hard enough being ablack quarterback without your own teammates coming at you. We gotta hold each other down.

Campbell went in on dude and he brought up A LOT of good points....CP's comments were unwarranted, and +#+$$ made since they were done in this fashion.

and its about damn time Jason Campbell opened his damn mouth and spoke up..I could honestly see these two here for 1 more year but I could care less if theyboth are gone..JC has been the center of blame for quite some time with an injury plagued o-line..yet he still goes out there and does his job.. Portis shouldbe the last person calling someone out.

all I know is we better go O-line in the draft.

*buys Orakpo Jersey*

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

and its about damn time Jason Campbell opened his damn mouth and spoke up..I could honestly see these two here for 1 more year but I could care less if they both are gone..JC has been the center of blame for quite some time with an injury plagued o-line..yet he still goes out there and does his job.. Portis should be the last person calling someone out.

all I know is we better go O-line in the draft.

*buys Orakpo Jersey*
Agreed 100% with everything, including the 'Rak jersey
laugh.gif

Thing is, Portis has been pulling these stunts for a minute now. You can't come into camp with a gut like that and hardly ever practice and not expect yourteammates to not notice.

I really hope, JC gets out of DC and makes the ******** look foolish.

They set him up to fail this season, and if you look at the numbers, Jason Campbell is ALOT better than most QB's in the game today.
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom