Man Dribbling Soccer Ball From Seattle To Brazil Gets Hit By Car, Dies

View media item 411669Richard Swanson, 42, planned to dribble a soccer ball from Seattle, Washington to Brazil. He started two weeks ago, on May 1, and was headed to Sao Paulo in time for the 2014 World Cup. Today, he was hit by a pickup truck while walking south on US Highway 101, in Lincoln City, Oregon. Swanson was declared dead at a local hospital.

Swanson was making the 10,ooo-mile trip to promote One World Futbol, which donates soccer balls to developing countries. He made a website, BreakawayBrazil.com, where people could follow his journey. The AP has more:

In an interview with The Daily News newspaper in Longview, Wash., Swanson said he was a private investigator looking for an adventure while between jobs. An avid runner, he picked up soccer just five years ago and played on club teams and rooted for the Seattle Sounders.

"I felt destined that I should go on this trip," he said.
The driver of the pickup truck has not been charged in Swanson's death.

[AP via The New York Times]

Damn, he didn't even make it out of the Pacific Northwest. Definitely goes on the "bad idea" list.

Last edited:
sucks

wonder how he planned to walk thru mexico
nerd.gif
he was gonna use a mule

RIP to this guy but maybe he should have worked on his ball handling skills. that's almost 7k miles and he gets hit in his neighboring state?

i respect his dedication though.

i fail to believe this wasnt captured on film by him for documentation. Dude gets hit then dies. i mean i understand accidents but more info is needed or is being withheld

RIP, I've been hit by a car before while walking and it was the scariest thing in the world. I hope he died without suffering. 

Back
Top Bottom