Lute Olson not returning as head coach this year. files 4 divorce

frown.gif

Thank God we got Kevin O'Neil. I'm not worried especially with the job O'Neil has done as the coach so far. Maybe this will mean Budinger will stayfor his Jr. year.
Jennings + Bayless + Budinger + Olson = National Championship in '09

EDIT: Apparently he filed for divorce but this is NOT the main issue and is attached to several other things going on...

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/215227.php

espn family issues and he will return next year

wish him the best of luck

maybe he just needs a year off

$+!%!%% great.
It's all because of his #*#!$ wife. She can rot in hell. He never should have married that +*%$! to begin with after Bobbi passed away.

NBAdotcom wrote:
$+!%!%% great.
It's all because of his #*#!$ wife. She can rot in hell. He never should have married that +*%$! to begin with after Bobbi passed away.
um...wow
laugh.gif

if she is giving him hell psychologically, and being a *****, then I guess I can agree with you
laugh.gif

if she is sick in any way and you know this...
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by mrmossyman84

NBAdotcom wrote:
$+!%!%% great.
um...wow
laugh.gif

if she is giving him hell psychologically, and being a *****, then I guess I can agree with you
laugh.gif

if she is sick in any way and you know this...
indifferent.gif

It's speculation on my part.
I just think his new wife doesn't want him to devote the time he needs to devote to coaching. She doesn't support the program. It's almost like shefeels that she has to compete with basketball for his attention.

From the official Arizona Athletics website

Lute Olson Extends Leave of Absence for the Remainder of the Basketball Season

December 6, 2007

Tucson, Ariz. -University of Arizona Head Basketball Coach Lute Olson today announced that he intends to extend his leave of absence through the end of the current basketball season. Coach Olson cited personal family matters that required his attention.

Said Olson: "After consultation with my family, I have decided to extend my leave of absence for the remainder of the current basketball season. I do this with great reluctance, because I care greatly about the University of Arizona, the basketball program and the players on this team. But there are personal issues within my family that need to be addressed, and I must devote my full energy to that.

"I plan to return to coach at The University of Arizona next year. In the meantime, my heart will be with the team, the coaches and staff. Our student athletes are in great hands, and I wish for them nothing but success with the remainder of the season.

"To our basketball fans and the community, I ask your patience in allowing me the time to attend to my personal situation. I am most grateful for the statements of support and prayers that have been offered, and look forward to a return to more normal activities in the months ahead.

"Thank you again for your support and understanding."

In response to Coach Olson's announcement, UA Athletic Director Jim Livengood said: "All of us at the University of Arizona want what is best for Lute and his family. He has brought immeasurable good to our program and the University, and we want him to know that we are supportive and wish him nothing but the best as he tends to these issues."

Livengood announced that Kevin O'Neill will serve as head coach for the remainder of the season. "Kevin has done an absolutely superb job stepping in for Lute," said Livengood. "We have enormous confidence in his ability to lead the team in Lute's absence."

"I have spoken to the team, and they fully understand Lute's decision," said O'Neill. "We have some great student athletes on this team. It has been a challenge for them to deal with the uncertainty surrounding all this. But they have handled it with extraordinary grace, and are fully focused on the season ahead."

Olson has been the head coach at UA for 24 years, and in that time led the Wildcats to the 1997 national championship, four Final Four appearances, 23 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, and 11 Pacific-10 Conference titles. Olson has the nation's third-best winning percentage over the past 20 seasons, and he is one of just 25 head coaches in NCAA history to win 700 or more games. He owns a career record 780-280.

O'Neill returned to the Wildcat program in May of this year, after spending the last seven seasons in the NBA as a head coach, assistant and consultant. He served as an assistant coach at UA from 1986 to 1989, and has been head coach at a number of universities, including Marquette, Tennessee and Northwestern.
The Wildcats play Saturday on the road against the University of Illinois and return home on December 16 against Fresno State.

bballah still has yet to respond to my questions about his remark... he said lute's son was dying from AIDs and that's why he's been gone. Idon't know if that was a sick joke or what, but nobody's confirmed nor denied it here... so whatever.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

bballah still has yet to respond to my questions about his remark... he said lute's son was dying from AIDs and that's why he's been gone. I don't know if that was a sick joke or what, but nobody's confirmed nor denied it here... so whatever.
I am sure that's not true.
I have heard from a number of people close to the university (although it's just speculation) that it has to do with his wife.

The AIDS rumor doesn't surprise me coming from bballah...remember he's Kevin Love's brother...and Kevin Love plays for UCLA...I know for a FACTthat other PAC-10 coaches are using Lute's leave of absence as a recruiting tool against Arizona when it comes to prospects...It wouldn't surprise meone bit if Howland, Herb Sendek, Tim Floyd and other coaches in the conference are making up those types of stories. I know that one's not true.

Edit:
Another theory that is popular among people close to the Arizona program is this:
Lute planned all along to retire after this year. That's why he brought Kevin O'Neill in as an assistant...to give him a job. Jim Livengood, the AD,told Lute that he didn't want to hire O'Neill as Lute's successor so Lute went around him with this "leave of absence" thing and handedthe program to O'Neill...now, Livengood is in a difficult situation...if the program has a successful year bringing in another coach and forcingO'Neill out wouldn't go over well with the alumni. Livengood is already on thin ice because he hired Mackovic and Stoops and ruined our footballprogram...so this potentially could be the nail in his coffin.

Originally Posted by NBAdotcom

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

bballah still has yet to respond to my questions about his remark... he said lute's son was dying from AIDs and that's why he's been gone. I don't know if that was a sick joke or what, but nobody's confirmed nor denied it here... so whatever.
I am sure that's not true.
I have heard from a number of people close to the university (although it's just speculation) that it has to do with his wife.

The AIDS rumor doesn't surprise me coming from bballah...remember he's Kevin Love's brother...and Kevin Love plays for UCLA...I know for a FACT that other PAC-10 coaches are using Lute's leave of absence as a recruiting tool against Arizona when it comes to prospects...It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Howland, Herb Sendek, Tim Floyd and other coaches in the conference are making up those types of stories. I know that one's not true.

Yeah - i mean, i guess I give him the benefit of the doubt because he does know some people out that way now with his bro being there and all.. and itwould kind of explain why they've been so hush-hush about why he's not around right now. But i'll wait for details before really believing it oneway or the other.

just hang it up lute

and zona ant winning anything any time soon.
laugh.gif
my dude bigmike always hatin on Zona. I know you poopedyour pants at the thought of that line up.

The AZ-UCLA games next year will be
eek.gif

I hate to say it but, Lute = Done.

tired.gif

this ling hoops yr just got longer.

smh.gif
@ the thought of Kevin running a program. Please lord do NOt let this pea brain be our long term head coach

smh.gif
@ the thought of Kevin running a program. Please lord do NOt let this pea brain be our long term head coach
Gunna is the most pessimistic AZ fan ever
laugh.gif

But you really don't like O'Neil? I mean i was skeptical at first but I really like what he has brought to the team. This team has heart,determination, and plays defense unlike past years. If he was the coach post Lute I wouldn't mind. Dude is also nice with the recruiting. Who would yourather have? I mean we could get any coach we wanted pretty much but O'Neil doesn't look like too bad of an option...

laugh.gif

Naw man, Ive been set up for failure too many times by this bunch. the last 3 yrs have helped open my eyes, I used to be like , "we goin elite eight atleast this yr," now I see the forest for the trees.
i figure i lower my expectations and I wont be let down for most dudes, its hard to admit your team is gonna struggle but I have no problem with it. I seenthis yr comin from a mile away. @*$% I seen it comin from 3 yrs ago. like I said when we made the UofA team post, I dont see anyway we finish ahead of Wazzu,wash, UCLA, and stanford in the Pac 10.

I been hittin the sauce tonite so dont mind my run on sentences

The AIDS rumor doesn't surprise me coming from bballah...remember he's Kevin Love's brother...and Kevin Love plays for UCLA...I know for a FACT that other PAC-10 coaches are using Lute's leave of absence as a recruiting tool against Arizona when it comes to prospects...It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Howland, Herb Sendek, Tim Floyd and other coaches in the conference are making up those types of stories. I know that one's not true
ya because howland and floyd will need to use lute leaving as a recruiting tool
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
, and the aids rumor has even been posted by zona fans on there message board from the start so lets not act like other pac-10 teams are the onesspreading it.

my dude bigmike always hatin on Zona. I know you pooped your pants at the thought of that line up.
real talk if Jennings and Bayless are on the court at the same time ant no one going to even see the ball and still no front line to scareANYONE

Originally Posted by dfresh244

smh.gif
laugh.gif

But you really don't like O'Neil? I mean i was skeptical at first but I really like what he has brought to the team. This team has heart, determination, and plays defense unlike past years. If he was the coach post Lute I wouldn't mind. Dude is also nice with the recruiting. Who would you rather have? I mean we could get any coach we wanted pretty much but O'Neil doesn't look like too bad of an option...

laugh.gif
@ O'neil running AZ. Dude's career highlight was appearingin Hoop Dreams. If Lute really is done and O'neil gets the job, then it's only a matter of time before the team turns on him.

Kevin O'Neill is the worst coach I have ever seen. At least, from his days as raptors head coach, he didnt show that he knew anything in basketball. Sure,he is more qualified to be a head coach in college, but even then he still is not a good coach in my eyes.

[h1]Already on leave of abscence, Arizona's Olson getting divorced[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: December 7, 2007, 2:18 PM ET

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Divorce papers have been filed seeking to end the marriage of Arizona basketball coach Lute Olson, a court spokesman said Friday.

Court spokesman Dave Ricker confirmed that a divorce petition was filed on Thursday in Pima County Superior Court, the same day the 73-year-old Olson -- already on an indefinite leave of absence -- said he would extend his leave through the end of the season.

Ricker said he has not seen the petition, and legal records supervisor Ray Rivas in the clerk's office says court rules bar public scrutiny of divorce petitions until the filer's spouse has been served or 45 days have passed.

The filing was first reported online by the Tucson Citizen and the Arizona Daily Star.

Olson has cited unspecified personal reasons for taking a leave of absence.

In a statement released by the university late Thursday announcing Olson's leave extension, the Hall of Famer said he plans to return to coach the Wildcats for the 2008-09 season.

"There are personal issues within my family that need to be addressed and I must devote my full energy to that," Olson said in the statement.

Olson's divorce lawyer, Leonard Karp, was not in his office at midday Friday and his assistant did not immediately return a call.

Athletic director Jim Livengood, who was in Chicago with the team, said: "There's no comment from me. It's a personal family matter and should be addressed appropriately."

Originally Posted by NBAdotcom

$+!%!%% great.
You folks should learn never to doubt me again.

Back
Top Bottom