Living without a cell phone...vol. smart or dumb

So i have been thinking about trying to live without my cell phone for a while now.  I like challenges and my contract for AT&T is up in February.  So i was thinking for a new years resolution see if i can go for a year without it.

I recently deleted my facebook and i have actually really enjoyed it.  I feel like now when i see people after a while we have stuff to talk about because I don't see people's life events in my face every day.  ("Did you see Jaime and John are moving in together"  "No" "Oh it was on their facebook").

I know i will probably miss stuff but i think it would be some what enjoyable to go through life and actually talk to people and not have to text some one all the time or always have some one texting you.

So what do you think.  Good idea? Bad Idea? If anyone one has done it before would love to hear how it went.  Or if anyone currently doesn't have a cell phone how you communicate with people. 

So i have been thinking about trying to live without my cell phone for a while now.  I like challenges and my contract for AT&T is up in February.  So i was thinking for a new years resolution see if i can go for a year without it.

I recently deleted my facebook and i have actually really enjoyed it.  I feel like now when i see people after a while we have stuff to talk about because I don't see people's life events in my face every day.  ("Did you see Jaime and John are moving in together"  "No" "Oh it was on their facebook").

I know i will probably miss stuff but i think it would be some what enjoyable to go through life and actually talk to people and not have to text some one all the time or always have some one texting you.

So what do you think.  Good idea? Bad Idea? If anyone one has done it before would love to hear how it went.  Or if anyone currently doesn't have a cell phone how you communicate with people. 

i say go down to a razor or a phone that is really basic. Have you ever needed to make a call and your phones dead, $!** is not pretty

i say go down to a razor or a phone that is really basic. Have you ever needed to make a call and your phones dead, $!** is not pretty

I guess i could keep a go-phone in my car with like a couple pre-paid hours on it. In case my car breaks down and i need to call some one for help or something.

I guess i could keep a go-phone in my car with like a couple pre-paid hours on it. In case my car breaks down and i need to call some one for help or something.

Originally Posted by spincv

Originally Posted by spincv

Originally Posted by Jking0821

do this.

never know when you'll need it for emergencies.

do this.

Originally Posted by Though

OP trying to be a hero.

laugh.gif

I just think it would be a fun challenge.  Kind of force me into situations i wouldn't otherwise be in. 

Originally Posted by Though

OP trying to be a hero.

laugh.gif

I just think it would be a fun challenge.  Kind of force me into situations i wouldn't otherwise be in. 

Originally Posted by CWrite78

do this.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

do this.

I tip my hat off to you good sir, but I on the other hand have JO's, girls I just met @ the club, homies I wanna smoke with, other homies I wanna grab lunch with, homies I wanna chill with depending on the situation and need my phone to get in touch with them at any point. I do get bored easily so at any given time when one scenario bores me I can hit somebody up to set something up quick.

I tip my hat off to you good sir, but I on the other hand have JO's, girls I just met @ the club, homies I wanna smoke with, other homies I wanna grab lunch with, homies I wanna chill with depending on the situation and need my phone to get in touch with them at any point. I do get bored easily so at any given time when one scenario bores me I can hit somebody up to set something up quick.

i actually havent had a cell for about 2 years now. and although there are some minor inconviences, i get along just fine without it.. no random texts.. no random calls.. the people that NEED me.. fam, girl, work.. know how to reach me (land line).. just keep that 50 cents handy.

i actually havent had a cell for about 2 years now. and although there are some minor inconviences, i get along just fine without it.. no random texts.. no random calls.. the people that NEED me.. fam, girl, work.. know how to reach me (land line).. just keep that 50 cents handy.

What if an emergency comes up and you need to call the authorities or your family? You'll be SOL all because you wanted to be different.
laugh.gif

Why not get a hella basic phone and downgrade it to the minimum calling plan with no extra features. I swear folks have forgotten the primary function of a phone.

What if an emergency comes up and you need to call the authorities or your family? You'll be SOL all because you wanted to be different.
laugh.gif

Why not get a hella basic phone and downgrade it to the minimum calling plan with no extra features. I swear folks have forgotten the primary function of a phone.

iBlink wrote:

Or even the most basic of functions: Power off.

If you do not feel comfortable ignoring calls and text then you can just turn it off.  I'm sorry, but I'm one of those people who believe there are almost no excuses (outside the obvious ones) for not having a cell phone in this day and age.  If you do not want to be reached you can turn it off.  Plain and simple.

"Don't cut off your nose to spite you face." 

Back
Top Bottom